Taking a class after I apply/graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to apply to med school at the end of my senior year and was thinking about taking lab the summer when I graduate. Would that be okay? Do I need to take it before I send my AMCAS application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As far as having it for pre-reqs, most just require that you have them finished the January you'd start if you were accepted. You definitely don't need it before you send in your application, though.

As far as having it for pre-reqs, most just require that you have them finished the January you'd start if you were accepted. You definitely don't need it before you send in your application, though.

So we need all our classes done by January 2007 or 2008? 2007 seems early. I was planning on taking some classes to fulfill random reqs, like Calculus II or stats, or another lit class... am i in trouble?

Members don't see this ad :)
So we need all our classes done by January 2007 or 2008? 2007 seems early. I was planning on taking some classes to fulfill random reqs, like Calculus II or stats, or another lit class... am i in trouble?

I may be wrong in saying that most require it done by January. It might just be a handful, I know some do. I know all require that they are done (some with a Bachelor's degree) by the time you matriculate. (So... check with the schools you're applying to)

If you're entering the class in Fall of 2007 (applying this cycle), then your prereqs would need to be done by Jan 2007. If you're entering the class in Fall of 2008 (applying next cycle), then your prereqs would need to be done by Jan 2008. This only applies to the main prereqs for the med school (Gen Chem, Gen Bio, O Chem, Physics, English, sometimes Math or Biochem).

Thanks. So I can take the class the summer after I graduate and still send my AMCAS app by June 1?

Check out other threads, unless it can be avoided - do not leave this until your last semester. If, for some crazy reason (like the lecturer gets hit by a bus, class fills up and your adviser hates you, etc.) you don't get the class - you can definitely lose your offer of admission.

People do it all the time, but it's not the best risk management strategy.

Wait, I have a question about pre-reqs (and trying not to start a new thread, yay). By prereqs, people here just mean calc/bio/chem etc etc, and not stuff like a year of stats and a year of psychology, right? So if a school recommends or wants a year of psychology for example, we don't have to have that done before we apply, but will it be a plus? Or if we don't have it done by when we apply, is that counted against us?

That's some belated (a year) thanks....
:lol:It certainly was. A thank you post for answers given in 2006 - I wonder if it got lost in the mail.

Wait, I have a question about pre-reqs (and trying not to start a new thread, yay). By prereqs, people here just mean calc/bio/chem etc etc, and not stuff like a year of stats and a year of psychology, right? So if a school recommends or wants a year of psychology for example, we don't have to have that done before we apply, but will it be a plus? Or if we don't have it done by when we apply, is that counted against us?

It's okay to if you haven't completed them when you send in the application. Different schools have different deadlines. Most require them to be completed by the time of matriculation (not application), a few by June of the year of matriculation, and a few by January.

Soo, when I see in mdapps that someone withdrew post-secondary because of some requirements it's because they don't want to take it, and not because they can't get accepted without it?

Uh, bump?
If that question was too idiotic to be answered, I have a somewhat more intelligent one...

For those of you who bought the USNews subscription(?) so that they let you see the info for all the schools, there's a line in the admissions section of the schools that says something like "courses required in order to apply." Does that really mean they wont consider your application if you haven't taken one or two of the listed courses? They don't say how many hours/quarters/semesters either. Do those courses correlate with the ones listed on the MSAR? They're different in some cases and I'm confused...

Anyone mind sharing your wisdom puhlease?

Soo, when I see in mdapps that someone withdrew post-secondary because of some requirements it's because they don't want to take it, and not because they can't get accepted without it?

it means that they haven't done it and don't want to complete it.

for example, i didn't apply to one of the chicago schools because there was a crazy 1 year psych requirement. i finished school so i had no desire to pay tuition just so if i did get accepted i could matriculate there.

i don't think it affects your chances of acceptance. these are requirements for matriculation. if you haven't completed a pre-req at the time of application, you should indicate that you intend to take it on your AMCAS. there is a specific section for this.

Uh, bump?
If that question was too idiotic to be answered, I have a somewhat more intelligent one...

For those of you who bought the USNews subscription(?) so that they let you see the info for all the schools, there's a line in the admissions section of the schools that says something like "courses required in order to apply." Does that really mean they wont consider your application if you haven't taken one or two of the listed courses? They don't say how many hours/quarters/semesters either. Do those courses correlate with the ones listed on the MSAR? They're different in some cases and I'm confused...

Anyone mind sharing your wisdom puhlease?

i'm not sure what you're referring to, but if you want the absolute word about schools and their particular pre-reqs you could always visit the school's website. visit the admissions section and in most cases there will be some sort of application instructions.