Taking a Class in my Major Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a computer science major/biology minor planning to apply to medical school. One of my semesters is going to be particularly rough, and I was wondering if I could take a class for my major (actually in the math department, not the computer science department, but its considered a pre-req for CS major courses) pass/fail? Would this be frowned upon by medschool adcoms?

I've already checked with my major advisor that this is allowed, I'm just wondering whether or not I should take it pass/fail... I feel pretty confident I could get a B+ with effort, maybe an A- with significant effort, but it will be in the same semester as Orgo 1 which I hear is quite difficult and time consuming in and of itself. My course load would be Gen Bio 2, Orgo 1, Math for CS Class, and either sociology or psychology. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

It might not be the best reflection on your ability to deal with the workload of medical school.

Double-check that you can take classes for your major pass/fail, lots of schools require you to take for a grade and make a C or better. Is it not an option to take some other soft gen ed this semester and push back the math class?