Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Taking a year off - Help me decide what to do to strengthen my application

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Wompuscat, 05.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Wompuscat

Hi everyone. So this is my first post here at SDN but I have been lurking on the forums for quite a while. Anyway, I am currently a senior, and after a summer class will be done with a BS in Human Physiology. I had chosen to forego application last summer, with the intent to apply this summer. However, I did not feel that my qualifications stacked up to the competition, so will be taking advantage of this year off to help shape myself into a better applicant. Currently, my cumulative GPA is 3.43 and my science GPA is 3.52. I have not yet taken the MCAT, but am scheduled to in July. I know that I have to score quite well on this to have even a remote chance at getting in somewhere, so I am putting a large amount of time into preparing to take that exam. I know my GPA isn't the greatest, and I have done my best to bring it up the last couple of years. I have had a fairly steep upward trend, with A's and A-'s in almost all of my advanced biology, advanced physiology, and organic chemistry courses. The introductory bio courses with B+'s are what's dragging me down. Anyway, I have a wide array of extracurricular activities, with some of the more prominent ones being a leadership position in a major fundraising group on campus where I had to lead my own subgroup of approximately 30 people, and volunteering for 200+ hours through our hospital's program. The vast majority of said volunteering was spent at a sports medicine clinic assisting physical therapists, however I also spent a semester in the ER. While I preferred the atmosphere of the ER, the work was mainly cleaning and other trivial tasks. No actual direct involvement. Whereas at the sports medicine clinic I was able to shadow the PT's far more, directly interact with patients, and learned a very large amount about interactions between muscles and ligaments. That is why I chose to stay there, rather than venture elsewhere into the hospital. I am currently not doing any research, but I am seeking out a paid research position where I can work for these next couple of years.

My current job is at a veterinary hospital where I work as a technician, where I accompany the doctor for routine checkups and other appointments, but I also see owners/pets on my own when the pet simply needs annual vaccinations(or other minor things) and no routine checkup. I also assist in surgery every morning, including preparation of the animals such as insertion of venous catheters, intubation, and anesthetization. I have been a part of(actually helping, not watching) any myriad of different procedures, and for one femur fracture was actually allowed(under supervision of the head doctor) to screw a locking plate mechanism in after everything else had been drilled and set. However, I know while that is great hands on experience, I still need more contact in human medicine, which is why I'm in the process of setting up shadowing experiences, one with a neurosurgeon who operated on me, and am still looking for an available orthopedic surgeon to shadow. I am considering taking EMT coursework next fall, but am not sure whether it would be worthwhile or not. I am also fairly certain that I want to take 1 or 2 classes along with whatever I'm doing, just to stay in a proper studying mindset.

I would love to hear your input as to things I should do over this year off the help strengthen my application, especially if I hadn't mentioned it above. I apologize for the lengthy post, but I was just trying to be thorough haha. Thanks in advance for any recommendations/advice!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Work hard to find a research position, like you mentioned. That will serve you well. Your clinical experience looks good, but keep volunteering for a few hours each week if you're able, whether clinically or non-clinically - many programs like to see a long term commitment to service.
  4. nellbot2000

nellbot2000 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With your vet tech experience I would say that finding a paid job in biomedical research should be relatively easy. Look to your local University for research assistant positions that involve animal work. I would also begin job applications soon, it tends to take a few months before you land a position. I started applying for research positions 2 months before graduation and ended up starting a month after graduation, so plan ahead.
  5. kk123

kk123 2+ Year Member

OP, it sounds like you have a great ECs so far and a good plan! :)

OP's post reminded me of something a couple of vet tech friends of mine and I were discussing. One of them is a pre-med and the other wants to apply to nurse practitioner school. We were wondering how people admitting students into a human medicine program view a veterinary technician's experience? Do they see it as medical experience, and does it carry any weight with admissions?Just wondering because I haven't seen many people with veterinary experience apply to medical school on this forum...

About the ads