Taking advanced bio course this summer or focus on the MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankswin2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope to take my MCATs in Spring 2012. I am thinking of taking an upper-level bio course, such as molecular biology, this summer because many medical schools "recommend" and some even require an upper-level bio course. However, I'm worried that I will lose momentum in my MCAT studying if I take this course. I also work full-time. I suspect that this advanced bio course is not going to help me much for the MCATs, as compared to focusing on studying for the MCATs. What would others recommend?

Also, for schools that recommend or require advanced bio courses and biochemistry, should I have these completed by (1) the time of application, or (2) by time of enrollment (i.e. complete the course during the application cycle)? I gather that they probably want to see your grades in these courses before admitting you so I suspect option (1)? If it's option (1), then I may want to get these advanced bio courses out of the way now, as opposed to Spring 2012 when I'm taking the MCATs. Any thoughts or recommendations much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to take my MCATs in Spring 2012. I am thinking of taking an upper-level bio course, such as molecular biology, this summer because many medical schools "recommend" and some even require an upper-level bio course. However, I'm worried that I will lose momentum in my MCAT studying if I take this course. I also work full-time. I suspect that this advanced bio course is not going to help me much for the MCATs, as compared to focusing on studying for the MCATs. What would others recommend?

This sounds like something you just need to figure out for yourself. Honestly, I'm not sure who can help you out. Spring 2012 is so far away, that for me it wouldn't have been worth studying for the MCAT this summer... the gain in MCAT points would not have been worth my time when I could have been improving other areas of my application. But if you need a lot of time to study, then it might be worth it for you. You just have to figure this out for yourself.

Also, for schools that recommend or require advanced bio courses and biochemistry, should I have these completed by (1) the time of application, or (2) by time of enrollment (i.e. complete the course during the application cycle)? I gather that they probably want to see your grades in these courses before admitting you so I suspect option (1)? If it's option (1), then I may want to get these advanced bio courses out of the way now, as opposed to Spring 2012 when I'm taking the MCATs. Any thoughts or recommendations much appreciated.

I'm not aware of many schools that require you to have completed everything by the time of application. UC Davis is one, but there aren't many. Most schools just require you to complete the pre-req's before you start at their med school (they will check!). On your AMCAS application (when you get there in a year or two) you will indicate courses that you intend to complete, and for most medical schools that is sufficient.

So figure out which schools you're really serious about, and that will help you know what you absolutely have to do prior to applying, and what you can hold off on.

If a giving course is optional, then you still might want to take these upper division classes early if you think it will boost your GPA. If you think it will hurt your GPA, delay them until after you've submitted your AMCAS application.

I'm not aware of many schools that require you to have completed everything by the time of application. UC Davis is one, but there aren't many.

Small correction: UC Davis needs all the pre-reqs completed by January of the class year - not at the time of application.
But yes, most (over 95%) schools, I believe, require it before matriculation.
:)

I guess im wondering if u do complete these recommend courses by the time of application, does it give you an advantage over the other applicants? Alternatively, if you do bad in these recommended advaned bio courses, then i guess it would actually hurt you.