Taking *an* online psych course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get that psych PhD programs generally don't like to see online degrees and why, but is there any harm in taking one pre-req online? My university doesn't offer one fairly common pre-req, but I've found an online version of that course from a fully accredited, reputable, bricks and motar university. Will it raise any major red flags to take a single psych pre-req online? The only other online class I'll have an advanced Japanese reading class from the same university, and I've found that people tend not to question the legitimancy/rigor of advanced work in Japanese ;), nor is it related to psych.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I think you're fine. Taking one prereq online should be no big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously N=1, but I had an upper division psych class (very common grad school pre-req) as well as having never taken gen psych (I CLEP'd it sr yr) and I still got interviewed by 2/3 of the funded PhD programs I applied to and was accepted. If the rest of your track-record is strong, they're not going to ask questions, although if your entire UG career is online, they may have some concerns... So I think you'll be fine!
Good luck with everything!

I took multiple undergrad psych courses online or by distance ed in undergrad (Behavior analysis I & II, a dyadic relationships course, a sex & gender course, and sports psych). No one ever said anything about it during interviews. I don't think my transcript even noted that they were distance/online, since it was integrated into the curriculum.

Courses taken via distance learning are usually listed on a transcript the same way as traditional classes. That is to say typically a transcript will not specify the class was done online. A Ph.D. program likely will not even know that it was done online.