Taking Biochem in Fall, count toward required pre-req in time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm applying this summer but I'm not taking biochem until the fall, do I still qualify for applying to those medical schools that list it as a requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm applying this summer but I'm not taking biochem until the fall, do I still qualify for applying to those medical schools that list it as a requirement?

Most medical schools require that you finish all the pre-reqs before you matriculate. So you don't have to have them finished by the time you apply. Just list them on your AMCAS as future class and make sure you finish them before you matriculate. Some schools just say they prefer that you have finished them because they want to know if you can handle these pre-reqs.

I'm pretty sure that that is correct. I am doing the same thing with math. Most med schools prefer most of the pre-reqs to be completed before the application so they can see the grades, but as long as you take the course before you matriculate, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most medical schools require that you finish all the pre-reqs before you matriculate. So you don't have to have them finished by the time you apply. Just list them on your AMCAS as future class and make sure you finish them before you matriculate. Some schools just say they prefer that you have finished them because they want to know if you can handle these pre-reqs.

This is a school specific topic, but for all of the schools I am aware of, this is correct.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student (15 days left)

I believe all the answers are correct.

Any premed req is only needed for matriculation, not for application. Most students have a requirement course they will be taking during their senior year..If you have done great with your grades, then it is unlikely an adcom would think that you have not taken that particular course because you were not going to do well on it. Many universities do not offer all the premed req courses on time to be taken by the end of the junior year. Frequently, there is one missing... which you need to take as a senior..

some med schools actually list that as a requirement? i thought chem, bio phy, with their respective labs, english amd math was the only requirement.

some med schools actually list that as a requirement? i thought chem, bio phy, with their respective labs, english amd math was the only requirement.

Those prereqs are the ones that 99% of medical schools will have, but some will have extra requirements like Biochem, Cell Bio, etc.