Taking Cell/Molec bio AND anatomy/phys in the same semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks:

I'm just setting up my fall semester schedule up here. This fall, i'm gonna be taking orgo chem for the first time. I'm kind of excited even though I hear its hard because I love chem. I also needed some upper level bio classes out the way next year. My options are cell/molec bio and anatomy physiology, with or without a lab.

While I know everyone is different and you guys can't really "give me the answer", I figured asking people who already have experience with these classes could help and chime in. Would taking organic chem with Physiology and cell bio be setting myself up for a rather very difficult semester? I have the option of taking my anatomy and physiology class online, and the lab is even optional.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Physiology will probably have a lab, but I don't know about cell biology. I've taken human genetics + lab, ochem + lab and physics + lab in the same semester and it wasn't all that bad, so you should be fine. Good luck!

Ochem + Cell bio + A&P would be a challenging, although very doable semester. A couple of thoughts:
1) I'm going to assume those 3 classes make up ~9 credit hours, so make sure your other class or two isn't an upper level science.
2) You know yourself best, but if you're a sophomore, ask yourself if you've got your time management/study skills decently mastered. If you feel like you could still use some "warming up" I would highly recommend leaving out the A&P lab. However if you aced your freshman year with a 4.0 and feel confident in your time management/studying then it's absolutely possibly to do.
3) Also consider your extracurriculars. Starting extracurriculars now, even if a few hours a week of clinical volunteering or research, will be much more beneficial when applying than trying to take a lot of science classes to clear your degree progress quickly. The hours will add up by the time you apply, and the long term commitment looks good.

#2 is probably the biggest thing. I've gone from not knowing how to study and doing pretty poorly in school to being able to ace 4 upper division sciences and a business class, along with 25 hours/week of EC's because I started really looking into time management skills/studying habits. Those skills can not be overstated enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take those 3 together. Yes, its possible to do well but you will have a lot of content to learn. You will be studying a lot. Take cell bio or A&P later.

Also, don't take the lab unless its required.

Here's the thing: I plan on finishing my post bacc by next spring. So I basically have my fall and spring to wrap up my science credits.

For Fall I have to do Organic chem, and for spring i'm gonna take biochem instead of organic chem 2 just because it seems like some interesting material and wouldn't mind studying it. So keep in mind I need to evenly partition the remainder of my credits during those last 2 semesters, AND include mcat prep time.

So what i'm considering is: Orgo chem, cell bio, and a&p (probably without a lab and just take the online course) in the fall, then biochem in the spring with either A&P 2 or something. I'm gonna do 2 classes for my spring semester because i'm gonna need to prep for the mcat and do some EC's then. I'm planning on starting a volunteer job this summer at a hospital and continue that for the next year.

I'm wrapping up a years worth of tutoring middle school children in a disadvantaged Chicago neighborhood. So i'm gonna have a year of nonclinical and a year of clinical/hospital based volunteer work. So that just leaves me with Mcat prep and such.

It would be sensible to take: Fall- Orgo chem and Cell bio then Spring- Biochem with A&P, meaning 2 classes per semester. But I dunno, I feel like 2 classes isn't even enough, even though I would still be completing my post bacc with 2 advanced bio electives. Also, that would leave me alot of time in the spring for mcat prep. However, I really feel like I could be doing more with that time. I'm currently in a position where I can study alot and practically have no life outside of school for the next coming year, lol.

Now, my other option would be to just take the orgo chem, a&p, and cell bio in the fall. Then in the spring I can do biochem and perhaps A&P 2 or another elective, and just have 2 classes to focus on mcat prep and deload a bit after such a loaded fall semester.

Here's the thing: I plan on finishing my post bacc by next spring. So I basically have my fall and spring to wrap up my science credits.

For Fall I have to do Organic chem, and for spring i'm gonna take biochem instead of organic chem 2 just because it seems like some interesting material and wouldn't mind studying it. So keep in mind I need to evenly partition the remainder of my credits during those last 2 semesters, AND include mcat prep time.

So what i'm considering is: Orgo chem, cell bio, and a&p (probably without a lab and just take the online course) in the fall, then biochem in the spring with either A&P 2 or something. I'm gonna do 2 classes for my spring semester because i'm gonna need to prep for the mcat and do some EC's then. I'm planning on starting a volunteer job this summer at a hospital and continue that for the next year.

I'm wrapping up a years worth of tutoring middle school children in a disadvantaged Chicago neighborhood. So i'm gonna have a year of nonclinical and a year of clinical/hospital based volunteer work. So that just leaves me with Mcat prep and such.

It would be sensible to take: Fall- Orgo chem and Cell bio then Spring- Biochem with A&P, meaning 2 classes per semester. But I dunno, I feel like 2 classes isn't even enough, even though I would still be completing my post bacc with 2 advanced bio electives. Also, that would leave me alot of time in the spring for mcat prep. However, I really feel like I could be doing more with that time. I'm currently in a position where I can study alot and practically have no life outside of school for the next coming year, lol.

Now, my other option would be to just take the orgo chem, a&p, and cell bio in the fall. Then in the spring I can do biochem and perhaps A&P 2 or another elective, and just have 2 classes to focus on mcat prep and deload a bit after such a loaded fall semester.
Don't take classes at all if possible during your MCAT prep. To prep well, you need to shut down for ~3 months and set your life on the MCAT. Even two upper division sciences would take away a good chunk from your prep, let alone trying to include EC's. Also, make sure you've finished biochem and ochem before your prep.

The way it sounds, you need two more semesters before being able to finish your MCAT pre reqs, which would put you prepping next summer. It's highly recommended you take ochem 2 alongside or before biochem. Even though the ochem has been reduced on the new MCAT, ochem 2 is a huge help with mechanistic details and critical thinking thats a big part of biochem and MCAT type questions.

Although if you're absolutely dead set on trying to apply next summer (Which I wouldn't recommend) I'd try this:
Fall: Ochem1/A&P(No lab)/Cell bio
Spring: Ochem 2/biochem/MCAT prep

That sounds like a solid schedule. The thing is though is that med schools only require either Ochem 2 or biochem, not both. However, taking them both would definitely strengthen my application. I wouldn't mind prepping for the mcat next spring along side bio chem and o chem. I really don't wanna prep in the summer, so Ill be doing it next spring regardless.

The thing is, I have two options...I can either finish my classes at UIC, where I graduated with my BA in Psych from. The pros of that would be a low tuition, and I can actually take organic chemistry 2 with biochem.

Or...I can finish at Dominican University's post bacc program. The thing about their program however is that they don't do the traditional sequence for organic chem. Instead they do a very biochem-esque orgo chem class called Organic Chemistry biological emphasis, and then you take biochem instead of organic chem two. If I go to Dominican, I would be taking Endocrinology and Histology as my bio electives, and then in the spring I can take biochem with advanced physiology. Also, I get the hook up with a committee letter and an internship. The only problem is the tuition, it's 30,000 there, nearly 3.5x times as much as UIC. Further, UIC I guess has a more reputable background because of it's research and medical school This is a very tough decision for me because it makes me feel like it's not worth the extra 3.5x tuition to go to Dominican University, which from what I understand may even be looked down upon my some admissions.

At UIC, I would just be taking the cookie cutter Orgo chem sequence with bio. Contrarily, Dominican has those more specialized classes such as endocrinology and advanced physiology, as well as the extra benefits of having an internship connection and even a second bachelor's degree added to my credentials.

I would go with the cheaper option, UIC. There is no big benefit to taking endocrinology or histology classes as an undergrad or getting a second bachelor's degree.

If I was you I would take orgo in the summer so that I'd finish earlier and have more time in the spring for MCAT study.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can't handle those 3 classes, what makes you think you'll be able to handle medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
If you can't handle those 3 classes, what makes you think you'll be able to handle medical school?

I'm sorry but its not a matter of being able to handle MS. Why force yourself to take those classes together when you don't have to until medical school? I'm pretty sure if you can take two of those together and take the other one later and do well, you can probably take all 3 in MS and do just fine…

You have to play the game and get the best GPA possible.

You need to be able to take on this kind of course load (and then some) in med school. The question is, can you do this now? If the answer is no, spend a couple semesters or so building yourself up, and don't shoot yourself in the foot. Eg. I went from 13 to 15 to 17 to 20 units.

You need to be able to take on this kind of course load (and then some) in med school. The question is, can you do this now? If the answer is no, spend a couple semesters or so building yourself up, and don't shoot yourself in the foot. Eg. I went from 13 to 15 to 17 to 20 units.

I feel the question is actually do you need to do this now? Med schools do look at course load but taking 2 vs 3 science classes a semester won't impress them/make a difference if you GPA is high. So, yes if you can do it, great. But there are 0 reasons to do so as you can just spread them out.

If you absolutely love science and can't imagine taking a class later, then by all means take 3 together. But be ready for the work and don't expect it to impress anyone.

I'm sorry but its not a matter of being able to handle MS. Why force yourself to take those classes together when you don't have to until medical school? I'm pretty sure if you can take two of those together and take the other one later and do well, you can probably take all 3 in MS and do just fine…

You have to play the game and get the best GPA possible.
This isn't the OP's first time through college, he/she states they already graduated with a BA or something. I can understand what you're saying if OP was a freshman but come on. He already graduated and is doing a post-bac from the sounds of it. If he can't handle 3 science classes after 5 years or so of college, how do you suppose he will fair in medical school?

Don't take those 3 together. Yes, its possible to do well but you will have a lot of content to learn.

It will be far, far less than in med school. Doesn't make sense to take the easy route for the sake of just getting in, then flame out because you're incapable of handling the load.

You guys are spot on with the core of the dilemma. I don't necessarily HAVE to take all of those classes, but I don't wanna just go to school part time when I can dedicate more of my time to taking some advanced biology classes to strengthen my application. I'm gonna have to Mcat prep, so yeah, my spring semester i'll just be taking biochem and orgo chem 2.

The thing is, my undergrad career is lousy. I was a careless and naive person who didn't dedicate his time to school work. It was a part time affair for me. I was doing music on the side and neglected my school work to work on recording an album and my music skills. However, I never took a single science class. So I applying with a strong set of science grades to show that I am dedicated to science and that I'm more of a science person than I am a liberal arts person.

So far so good, got straight A's in my 100 level bios, getting an A in Gen chem. So things are going very well so far. Also, i'm gonna have a years worth of volunteer work as a tutor for middle school kids as well as about a years worth of volunteering at a hospital. I know it's competative though, so I might have to end up getting an SMP. Regardless, however, I'm really into science and want to take those extra classes to A) strengthen my application B) just for the sake of taking them honestly. At this point, as long as I do good in advanced science classes, I will be very proud of myself. It'll be worth it.

At this point, I think it would be to my advantage to take a load of upper level sciences. I know you guys can't give me a solution, but we're all like minded individuals here, so your opinions are valuable.

You guys are spot on with the core of the dilemma. I don't necessarily HAVE to take all of those classes, but I don't wanna just go to school part time when I can dedicate more of my time to taking some advanced biology classes to strengthen my application. I'm gonna have to Mcat prep, so yeah, my spring semester i'll just be taking biochem and orgo chem 2.

The thing is, my undergrad career is lousy. I was a careless and naive person who didn't dedicate his time to school work. It was a part time affair for me. I was doing music on the side and neglected my school work to work on recording an album and my music skills. However, I never took a single science class. So I applying with a strong set of science grades to show that I am dedicated to science and that I'm more of a science person than I am a liberal arts person.

So far so good, got straight A's in my 100 level bios, getting an A in Gen chem. So things are going very well so far. Also, i'm gonna have a years worth of volunteer work as a tutor for middle school kids as well as about a years worth of volunteering at a hospital. I know it's competative though, so I might have to end up getting an SMP. Regardless, however, I'm really into science and want to take those extra classes to A) strengthen my application B) just for the sake of taking them honestly. At this point, as long as I do good in advanced science classes, I will be very proud of myself. It'll be worth it.

At this point, I think it would be to my advantage to take a load of upper level sciences. I know you guys can't give me a solution, but we're all like minded individuals here, so your opinions are valuable.
I completely agree, and it seems like you have been doing much better and are motivated. However keep in mind raising your GPA is not the only aspect. The MCAT is the most important test you'll ever take (Right next to STEP1) so don't take the prep lightly.

Just as a side question: You guys think taking endocrinology or functional neuroanatomy would be more beneficial as a bio elective?

Taking orgo, physics, anatomy & physiology, and cell bio along with and one ENG right now.
Lots of work but definitely manageable. Lots of information for A&P and cell bio

Taking orgo, physics, anatomy & physiology, and cell bio along with and one ENG right now.
Lots of work but definitely manageable. Lots of information for A&P and cell bio

Wow that sounds like an awful schedule.

Hey folks:

I'm just setting up my fall semester schedule up here. This fall, i'm gonna be taking orgo chem for the first time. I'm kind of excited even though I hear its hard because I love chem. I also needed some upper level bio classes out the way next year. My options are cell/molec bio and anatomy physiology, with or without a lab.

While I know everyone is different and you guys can't really "give me the answer", I figured asking people who already have experience with these classes could help and chime in. Would taking organic chem with Physiology and cell bio be setting myself up for a rather very difficult semester? I have the option of taking my anatomy and physiology class online, and the lab is even optional.

What do you guys think?
I can't comment on your specific ability to complete the work, but I would suggest not taking the online A/P version. The classes i've taken in the A/P and pathophysiology spectrum have been the most instrumental in my understanding of the human body up to this point - an online course would have likely diluted much of the benefit.