Taking harder classes Senior year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

versace

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering most people apply the summer of their junior year and receive results in the Fall of their senior year, is it wise to take microbiology and biochemistry in your senior year

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking biochemistry, genetics, and microbiology my senior year. I wouldn't worry about it. If you can take them before then, I would. If not, I don't think adcoms care much. Just be prepared to have an explanation if they ask why. Mine was more scheduling-related than anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
I planned my schedule so I could have an easier fall schedule senior year so I didn't have to miss too many important classes with sports and interviews (hopefully). I took genetics and anatomy already, have biochem and microbiology this year (junior year). I have pretty much everything else done so I'm mainly taking gen eds next fall. It helped coming into freshman year with a bunch of AP credits so I could get out of most of my gen eds. I'm taking my DAT this summer, applying next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took like all those courses junior/sophomore year and it sucked. I recommend you do take those senior year because if you get accepted, the grades won't matter as much so you won't have to work your ass off for an A. That's what a couple of my friends that were accepted this year did.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a big deal in my opinion. After applying, I took biochem, then had to take Physics II to complete my degree and because its a pre-req after I already got accepted. Don't sweat it. Just treat them like you do any other class and study your ass off...

Last edited:
I would advise a balanced schedule for both the Fall and the Spring. From my own experience, in the Fall of senior year, I took Biochem I, Physics I+lab, Intro to Psych, a research class + lab = easy schedule. In the Spring of senior year, I took Epidemiology of Infectious Dz, Microbial metabolism, Lab simulation of Physiology, Physics II + lab, Human Anatomy + lab = difficult.

So let me explain my reasoning, I planned the Fall semester of senior year to be easy to go to interviews and then take all the hard courses in the Spring to compensate in order to graduate on time and still get good grades

What I didn't realize was that I got more post-December interviews (which is during Spring semester of senior year) than I got pre-December (Fall semester) interviews. Thankfully my choice school invited me for one of the pre-December interviews so I got a chance to decline post-December interviews to focus on grades and graduation. But I do think it's important to consider these factors because it could potentially affect your grades and ultimately the academic update if your choice school invites you post-December.

Hope this helps. ^^

That makes sense, Greyangel6. I'm good with missing classes up until about the 3rd week of March when the sports schedule kicks in. My whole senior year is pretty light really. I technically have senior standing already--just finished sophomore year--thanks to AP :D. If I pushed it I could graduate in Dec of senior year but why bother :D. I think I will have all my major requirements done at the end of next year and mostly have electives and gen eds to take.

I took MicroBio, Biochem, and even the 2nd semester of physics my senior year. The first semester of senior year I didn't have any problems earning good grades. My last semester of college, the second semester of senior year, I received my first C+ from Physics II and a B- in Biochem. Of course we all have our own reasons for low grades, but it didn't cause for a rescinding of an acceptance, so I say do what you have to.