taking MCAT in senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettyslick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior right now and I am thinking about when to take the MCAT. What do students do if they end up taking the MCAT in the spring of their senior year. Since they apply late, they will have an off year. What do students typically end up doing in that situation? Just wondering what kind of options I have...

Members don't see this ad.

or could anyone find a link to a thread that talks about this? thanks!

What you do is up to you - some bang out a quick MPH, some do clinical work, some work in a lab. Me? I'm demolishing my house in preparation for selling it (you know, taking down popcorn ceiling, tearing out carpet, painting, residing, tearing out and re-pouring concrete...). It all depends on you and your circumstances. Take a look at the re-applicants forum. You'll have better luck in there with this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, but generally do med schools care what you do in the off year?

prettyslick said:
I see, but generally do med schools care what you do in the off year?
I graduated last spring and am presently in my off year, and applying. At least 1/3 of the secondaries I filled out wanted to know what I was doing in my off year. I'm doing some good research, so I actually like that question. But if you're asking how much weight they put on it? That I don't know.

Strictly for the purposes of looking good on an application, I would suggest working in a lab, getting more clinical experience, etc. And you can even make some extra cash before you start accumulating mountains of debt.

I think that depends on you. I have 15 years as a paramedic, so I have LOADS of clinical experience. If you're lacking there, they probably want to see you take care of that area. If your academics are lacking, you should work on the MPH. Most importantly I think they want to see you NOT sit on your butt and do nothing.

I should also say that this year during the application season I'm recertifying my paramedic, ACLS, BLS, PALS, BTLS, etc.... so it's not like I'm doing nothing (and anyone who's done home remodeling knows that's a full time job!).

thanks everyone for your replies!

Is MPH a one year degree? Where can I find more info on that?

prettyslick said:
I'm a junior right now and I am thinking about when to take the MCAT. What do students do if they end up taking the MCAT in the spring of their senior year. Since they apply late, they will have an off year. What do students typically end up doing in that situation? Just wondering what kind of options I have...

I'd work on clinical experience, and wouldn't be too concerned about earning a master's, unless you have a poor GPA.

stupid question but whats comes under clinical experience?

Is volunteering in the ER considered clinical experience?

prettyslick said:
stupid question but whats comes under clinical experience?

Is volunteering in the ER considered clinical experience?

yep. anything where you get some patient contact and get to see doctors doing their thing.

I plan on wrapping up my research and then going over to Germany to work as a Rettungsassistent for a couple of months.

Definitely do research and/or get some clinical experience if you want in to a top research institution, otherwise get drunk a lot and do habitat for humanity twice, the first time being about 11 to 12 months before the second so you can put on your app: volunteered from 6/05 to 5/06 at habitat

jbrice1639 said:
yep. anything where you get some patient contact and get to see doctors doing their thing.

I heard that volunteering in the ER is not really considered clinical experience because you don't really get to follow the doctors? I guess shadowing a physician for sure is considered clinical exp. But can anyone confirm if volunteering = clinical experience?

prettyslick said:
I heard that volunteering in the ER is not really considered clinical experience because you don't really get to follow the doctors? I guess shadowing a physician for sure is considered clinical exp. But can anyone confirm if volunteering = clinical experience?

I did. Just tell then you are a prospective medical student.