Taking more AP Classes vs dual enrollment classes for med school?

Heiwa143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take more AP classes
e or more dual enrollment classes at a small 4 year college/community college for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to take dual enrollment classes then do it.

Last edited:
dual enrollment classes, even at a community college, will ultimately get added to your science gpa when you are applying for med school. the amcas asks for ALL college classes that you've taken. so it can only help, not hurt.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a choice, definitely take dual enrollment over the AP classes. Medical school pre-req's like general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics ect. are not satisfied with AP courses. However, all medical schools honor community college courses. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know... I've always been told not to take the prerequisites at a community college. Some med schools actually do accept AP credit for them, but you just have to take advanced coursework to make up for it. And if you do badly in one of these classes, as it's already been stated, your GPA will be affected.

It's your decision, but make it carefully and check out some threads that are similar.

But if you're asking about taking dual enrollment classes in general, then I'd definitely say go for it. :)

If your high school offers the AP version of those classes, take it there. There's no need to be taking classes at a community college unless it's not offered at your school and you're genuinely interested in taking it. I had the experience of taking a boatload of dual enrollment courses--luckily I took it seriously enough at the time to get all A's but there are people I know that didn't too hot and those grades will (unfairly, I may add) reflect on your AMCAS GPA calculation when you apply to med schools.

But whatever you decide, I strongly recommend you re-take the prerequisite classes when you're at university. The AP/dual enrollment will help you build a strong foundation so you won't have a problem with them. Med schools prefer to see your core prereq coursework done at the university level, rather than AP or dual enrollment CC.

IMO you should take APs/the credit awarded from it if given it. Just check to make sure your intended college accepts them. A 2 on a test won't affect your undergrad gpa, but it can help you get into higher level science classes faster where the professors have the class size to give more personal attention. Plus, even if you have to take extra coursework, you can pick the topic of it. I took an elective upper level chem class later on to make up for taking the lower level credit and it turned out to be my fav chem class ever.

Reactions: 1 user
The facts are, your grades in community college courses DO factor into your AMCAS GPA whereas AP courses do not. Both AP credits and community college credits can fulfill prereqs for medical school.

I did both. I was lucky and my high school paid for my courses at Saint Norbert College while I was in high school and I definitely enjoyed those courses more than AP. Both are extremely valuable. Get as many college credits completed before going to college! This will make double-majoring easier, give you more time to take really interesting courses, and/or give you more time to work a job, get involved in research, etc.

Be careful about taking science credits at community colleges as sometimes the rigor of the course can be far less than if the course was taken at a local university. Yes, medical schools do accept those science credits taken at a local university, but if you want to be more prepared for the MCAT i think it's safer to go with a science credit at your local university. For any non-science credit knock your socks off man. I'm taking around 9 credits of random non-science classes at my community college.