Taking multiple pre-reqs at other colleges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeabow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started taking a pre-req at a local university that's considered a lower tier than my college and ended up withdrawing. Is it okay if I go back to this university to finish it up this summer? Or is this considered taking too many pre-reqs at colleges other than your own?

Members don't see this ad.

So I started taking a pre-req at a local university that's considered a lower tier than my college and ended up withdrawing.

1) Is it okay if I go back to this university to finish it up this summer?

2) Or is this considered taking too many pre-reqs at colleges other than your own?
1) Yes.

2) No.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question - I've already taken chem at a different college. Is it a bad idea to take Physics at a different college too (during the summer)? i find the science department at my school to be extreme and unfair

You should only take your pre-reqs at other places out of necessity, and as few as possible. For example, taking one or two pre-reqs elsewhere during the summer to free up your schedule during the year and/or to cut costs (if you take them at a CC).

Many med schools state on their websites that they prefer that all or most of your pre-reqs be taken at your own university.

agreed with the above 2 posts. i'm no expert but i've been told that taking prereqs at other schools (CCs in particular) looks like its been done because they are "easier" at those schools.. and it looks like that's true, because you said your school's science department is "extreme and unfair".

its up to you but try to do as few like that as possible.

If you have a legitimate reason for taking the classes elsewhere then nobody will care. If you say you took them someplace else due to financial reasons then nobody will second guess your decision.