Taking Naplex October 21st. Last old version of the exam. Cram time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasted2years

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my story.

I graduated pharmacy school in 2014. For 2 years i kept rescheduling my test, while never studying for it. Come to now, my test is scheduled for October 21st, the last day before the change the exam on Nov 1st. So this is my only chance at becoming a pharmacist. I was working helping my father with his business so really never had time to sit down and study, but now that they are changing the exam to something harder i figured to buckle down and try to pass it.

So starting off, i literally have zero knowledge of anything pharmacy related lol. everything i look at is new. But this wont make me sweat because i got through pharmacy school with exactly one night of studying for every exam. I literally never studied more that one night for any exam i took. I would just cram the night before flush my knowledge and somehow passed everything.

I began going through RxPrep starting on september 19, and got the math down packed, and chapters 1-13 of rxprep. Now I'm fed up with the Rxprep book and decided to just read over this Review i have of the Rxprep book 3 times before the exam date. A friend of mine gave it to me, it is very good about 160 pages. my plan is to do 10 chapters a day, 6 days to complete the book, and ill have enough time to go through it 3 times before the exam. Math is easy for me so hopefully I get alot of points on that. As well as review the top 200 drugs everyday until the exam. I know my chances are slim but if by some miracle I pass, Im going to devote my life to being the best pharmacist I can be. And if i fail then ill just give up on pharmacy.

If anyone is interested in the review I have, i can email it to you (im gonna upload it, but not sure if it will approved). Several people have used only this to study and passed with >100's, so im hoping it does me some good.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• NAPLEX REVIEW[1] (1).pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 455
Reactions: 5 users
The review looks great but I feel like it would only be helpful if you already have the basic knowledge down. I would definitely use it maybe a few weeks before my exam after studying it for a few months prior. Especially for someone like you who's basic knowledge might be shot like you said due to being out of pharmacy for so long... this may be a big risk. Not sure how much of what may be esoteric info for you will stick. My two cents =) good luck on your exam though.... it's about time you became a pharmacist haha Let us know how it goes.

I think it looks good. I wish you stopped here early in June and shared it with us. Just study the notes and do the Rxprep Qbank. For me, reading entire Rxprep book is a waste of time. In the end, we all need to memorize facts. Use rxprep Qbank to apply what you study from the notes. As you go through Qbank, add more notes to it. Figure out your weakness after you finish all Qbank, then use the book to study deeper into those topics. It would save you time and study more efficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
only got this review in September, otherwise i would of definitely posted it earlier. Hopefully it'll be a help some people who peep this thread, and still have yet to pass the Naplex. It is really concise. Its basically all the underlined things in the Rxprep book.

My plan is to do 10 chapters daily and then do the qbank for those chapters. I'm just banking on the math. I know i can get every math question right, and then with the knowledge from this review to get me the extra points to break the 75% mark.

only got this review in September, otherwise i would of definitely posted it earlier. Hopefully it'll be a help some people who peep this thread, and still have yet to pass the Naplex. It is really concise. Its basically all the underlined things in the Rxprep book.

My plan is to do 10 chapters daily and then do the qbank for those chapters. I'm just banking on the math. I know i can get every math question right, and then with the knowledge from this review to get me the extra points to break the 75% mark.

Just be careful. I was thinking the same but ended up failing. I mastered math and stats. Gotten 95% or above on all rxprep math and stat quizzes. This is what some people told me. If I do well on math, i should be fine. Wrong. After cramming for two weeks, something happened and was not able to study for next two weeks prior to taking the exam. Maybe that had something to donw with me failing but also i think cramming played a part. Just letting you know covering 10 chapters seems awefully alot.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my NAPLEX last week and found out I passed! My topic was anticoagulant, arrhythmia, HIV, oncology, ID, asthma, math, and biostats. I didn't study a lot because I work 40 hours a week. Math and biostats are very important. I had like 30 - 40 math and biostats questions. When you study, try to think if this lab value is abnormal - what drug can cause that or what drug can treat that. For example, HyperK - what can you treat with or what drug can cause? etc. Oncology, I would focus on SE and if there is toxicities - what can you treat with. Read the antidote chapter from Rxprep, I got few of those. I was expecting to ask me HTN, DM, etc... but then I got none. I feel like math and biostats save me. If you have any questions, you can PM me. To be honest, you can't really prepare for it. I walked out feeling I failed. It's pretty awful! I also didn't get much select all the apply and most people said if you don't get a lot of that...meaning you are not doing too well. I didn't get 3 digits, but enough to get more than 75 to pass. Good luck!

Also, I feel like Rxprep is too much information and it's overwhelming. After awhile, I just start at looking people note online. After all they are asking you basic stuff. Make sure you know if the patient have this disease, what is the 1st line and second line. Look at patient allergy and that can determine which treatment you would use. Know brand and generic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on passing the naplex.

I must admit though, this type of advice could be very dangerous. Whats considered "not studying much"? Without knowing your background, what school you went to, how your studying habit and style are like, how intense you studied etc, telling someone you didnt study much could mess with people's heads I feel like. Especially to someone whos been out of school for two years...

For me, I seriously study 3 days per week for 8-10 hours because the other days I have to work 10 hours shift and after coming home, I can't study. I would read all the underline and bolded information on Rxprep book. I got some note from SDN and found it very helpful too. I would focus on disease state with treatment (1st and 2nd line). All the abnormal lab value - what drugs can cause it and what drugs can treat those abnormal lab value. NEED TO KNOW YOUR MATH and BIOSTATS well. To attack NAPLEX, I would read the questions first and then look at the answer.. MOST OF THE TIME, you don't even need to read the case. I would look at the answer...and there are two answers that can use to treat the dx state, then I would look at the allergy. Going to pharmacy school for 4 years, you should know general information. For all the rxprep chapter, I would look at the charts. I found it helpful and most of the questions and answer are from those charts, especially ID. Prophylaxis HIV (PCP, toxo, MAC) know that chart. Well, everyone is different. I didn't study as much as I want to. It doesn't matter how much you study, you don't know it all. I would go with the basic knowledge first. For all the MC questions, you just have to look at it .... if you don't know it, then don't even waste time to sit there and stare at it. Just use your educational guess and move on because at the end I got a lot of math and biostats and you want to spend time and get those easy points. I left the test an hour early.

- I would focus on HIV, Oncology, ID, antidote, and I heard a lot of people get CF, RA, osteoporosis. MATH and BIOSTATS.

Last edited:
For me, I seriously study 3 days per week for 8-10 hours because the other days I have to work 10 hours shift and after coming home, I can't study. I would read all the underline and bolded information on Rxprep book. I got some note from SDN and found it very helpful too. I would focus on disease state with treatment (1st and 2nd line). All the abnormal lab value - what drugs can cause it and what drugs can treat those abnormal lab value. NEED TO KNOW YOUR MATH and BIOSTATS well. To attack NAPLEX, I would read the questions first and then look at the answer.. MOST OF THE TIME, you don't even need to read the case. I would look at the answer...and there are two answers that can use to treat the dx state, then I would look at the allergy. Going to pharmacy school for 4 years, you should know general information. For all the rxprep chapter, I would look at the charts. I found it helpful and most of the questions and answer are from those charts, especially ID. Prophylaxis HIV (PCP, toxo, MAC) know that chart. Well, everyone is different. I didn't study as much as I want to. It doesn't matter how much you study, you don't know it all. I would go with the basic knowledge first. For all the MC questions, you just have to look at it .... if you don't know it, then don't even waste time to sit there and stare at it. Just use your educational guess and move on because at the end I got a lot of math and biostats and you want to spend time and get those easy points. I left the test an hour early.

- I would focus on HIV, Oncology, ID, and heard a lot of people get CF, RA, osteoporosis. MATH and BIOSTATS.

Haha see. You did study alot! Congrats again for passing. Good luck with the rest of your career!

Congrats on passing!

I got nothing to do but study. I'm putting in 10 hours a day of studying, from now up until the exam. I feel it will be enough. thanks for the encouragement and advice!

I will let you know the results when i get them :)

wasted2years, you will be fine. Be positive and believe in yourself. I took my NAPLEX in the 2nd week of september and still waiting for my score. All I can say is that it's really random. I had questions ranging from hiv, id, drug references, calculations, biostat, cardio, anticoag, asthma, and some random thing from the dietary section. It was all over the place. Just study and don't freak yourself out from hearing everyone else. It makes you stress even more. You can do this. Time and dedication with the right materials! :)

For anyone who is downloading his notes, please bare in mind that new drugs and guidelines have changed for a lot of topics. So be sure to study it but update yourself with the new things in each chapter. For example, the HIV chapter in his notes..lots of new drugs/guidelines/etc.