Taking Ochem, genetics, and human physiology same quarter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZaneKaiser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just transferred from a california community college to UCSB with a 3.4 GPA. (Aced bio pre-reqs, but got Bs in Gen Chem and Physics)

I realize I will have to do very well at UCSB if I want to be a strong applicant in dental school, will I have a chance of getting a 4.0 this quarter if I tackle this schedule on? Or should I take a lighter course load?

Organic Chemistry 109A (4 Units) (I am NOT taking it the lab class this quarter)

Genetics I (4 Units)

Human Physiology (4 Units)

Statistics (4 Units)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NO! that course load is way to heavy organic is tough enough by itself i wouldn't do it. Spread them out so you can have a better chance at doing your best on each of them

Given that you just transferred, I would say take a lighter load in order to adjust to the transition. Obviously if you're determined enough, I'm sure you can get a 4.0, but you should open up your schedule for adjusting to your new environment and maybe get involved with clubs and stuff outside of academic.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's certainly doable - you may be in the library for several months straight - but if you can spread it out, I would.

I don't know if taking that kind of course load is a good idea given that you just tranferred. I would personally take out Genetics or Statistics and throw in an easier class.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I am also not taking Organic Chemistry lab this quarter, if that will influence decisions. Which class would be more relevant to take for dental school Genetics or Human Physiology? I think I may take one of those two out, and keep statistics on my schedule.

Physiology will take a lot of time. I just aced it this summer. I would drop stats if it were me.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I am also not taking Organic Chemistry lab this quarter, if that will influence decisions. Which class would be more relevant to take for dental school Genetics or Human Physiology? I think I may take one of those two out, and keep statistics on my schedule.
Take physio before you plan to take the DAT.

I would get rid of Stats. It is time consuming. , and you could use that time to focus In The other classes. Organic phys and genetics are definitely doable.

If you're looking for company, I'll be taking Bio 1, Comparative Anatomy, Calculus, and O Chem 1 this semester -- I don't think it's quite as intense as the schedule you propose, but it's close. It's possible I'll be working part-time as well. And shadowing. And volunteering. My schedule is blocked out from 8am to almost 11pm every day, but it's probable I'll drop the job and start taking loans to finish this year. (I've been back in school after two years in the 'real world' and nobody is going to stand in my way.)

If you're more of a bio person than a chem person, stats might be the most time consuming of the courses you mentioned.

At my school, "Genetics 1" was a 300-level course that had a reputation for being a little harder than Organic (but easier than Biochem). I never took that course, and I have no idea if that's the general reputation for "genetics 1," but I would look before you jump. I still think the whole semester load is doable, but I would strongly consider holding off on at least the statistics course.

Pick two, but not all three unless you are the type of person that lives in the library and has no friends

Okay thanks guys, I'm definitely going to have to keep Organic Chem and Genetics on my schedule since they're only offered once a year.

It's between keeping Physio and Stats, and I think I'm going to keep Stats just to diversify a little with a math class, instead of having another science class that consists of a lot of memorization.

My stats class was one of the most time-consuming classes I ever took, at least in part because it required a long semester-ending project that I made a little more challenging than it needed to be. Maybe you can get your hands on the syllabi and look ahead?

You guys are making this sound way worse than it really could be. That course load is not that bad. Stay focused and be efficient. You don't need to live in a library. People juggle much more than that every semester across the country and get straight As. Being successful in undergrad and dental school with quite heavy workloads is very much attainable by being efficient, staying focused on goals, and by not buying into the BS going on around me. And I still have plenty of time to hang out, go to the gym every morning, and play soccer on weekends. That means when studying turn off your phone or just don't bring it, stay the F*#* off that life sucking pointless site called Facebook (or just never signing up for it like me), and stop caring what others are doing around you. You'd be amazed how much you can accomplish in a week.

It is not heavy load, but ochem at UCSB is a good weed out course.