Taking Online Lab Class Fall 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like everyone else, COVID has put me in kind of a weird position. My school announced about a month ago that instruction would be delivered primarily virtually, with the exception of a handful of classes that were approved for in-person instruction. We were not aware of what classes this would include or if it would be approved until a few days ago. Of course, my lab class (Ochem II) was included in this list.

I had already made the decision to move back home, across the country, for my final semester of online classes; both for financial and personal reasons. I could not justify continuing to pay high COL if my classes would be online.

My plan is to take the lab portion of the class online at UNE, or worst case scenario find a school back home where I can take the class in-person. I'm applying next cycle so this should leave me plenty of time to figure out a solution.

I would not be moving home if I did not have to. My question is how will online lab courses be viewed for Fall 2020? I know most schools have made announcements for the previous semester and this summer. Would I be shooting myself in the foot taking the UNE course next semester? Should I wait to take the class in-person back home?

Members don't see this ad.

Just like everyone else, COVID has put me in kind of a weird position. My school announced about a month ago that instruction would be delivered primarily virtually, with the exception of a handful of classes that were approved for in-person instruction. We were not aware of what classes this would include or if it would be approved until a few days ago. Of course, my lab class (Ochem II) was included in this list.

I had already made the decision to move back home, across the country, for my final semester of online classes; both for financial and personal reasons. I could not justify continuing to pay high COL if my classes would be online.

My plan is to take the lab portion of the class online at UNE, or worst case scenario find a school back home where I can take the class in-person. I'm applying next cycle so this should leave me plenty of time to figure out a solution.

I would not be moving home if I did not have to. My question is how will online lab courses be viewed for Fall 2020? I know most schools have made announcements for the previous semester and this summer. Would I be shooting myself in the foot taking the UNE course next semester? Should I wait to take the class in-person back home?
Is UNE your home institution? If so, while online labs definitely suck, no one is going to penalize you for taking an online class at your home institution during your final semester if you are not given a choice. If not, why take it at UNE versus your home school? If you are seeking it out at another school for your convenience, however, that could be a different situation!

Is UNE your home institution? If so, while online labs definitely suck, no one is going to penalize you for taking an online class at your home institution during your final semester if you are not given a choice. If not, why take it at UNE versus your home school? If you are seeking it out at another school for your convenience, however, that could be a different situation!
So, my current institution is in California (which is offering the lab in person). I am not able to stay here due to financial, COVID related reasons. I will be moving home to New York. I was hoping to take the UNE online lab course next semester, alongside my other online classes from the California University.

So, my current institution is in California (which is offering the lab in person). I am not able to stay here due to financial, COVID related reasons. I will be moving home to New York. I was hoping to take the UNE online lab course next semester, alongside my other online classes from the California University.
Ah ha! Then no, med schools are not going to be okay with you taking your orgo 2 lab online because it enabled you to save money. You should probably try to find a school in NY that will allow you to take the lab in person and then transfer the credit over. For schools that do not require orgo 2, of course, it won't make a difference.