Taking ORGO 1&2 at another university for the Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsatdawn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Even though I've been stalking SDN for a significantly long time, this is my first post!

Small tidbit about me:
Sociology Major, Spanish Minor
Sophomore at Top 50 Private University
3.6 Overall 3.4 Science GPA
Black Female

Due to my interest in my minor, I have formed my four year plan around me studying abroad my junior year in order to gain absolute fluency. Even though I am passionate about sciences and medicine, I am still passionate about traveling and learning languages so I do not believe it is fair to restrict myself from going abroad just because I am pre-med. I have been given the option to either take the Organic Chemistry sequence at my state school this summer OR take a gap year (which I don't have much of an interest in doing). Evidently, I chose to subject myself to the Orgo sequence... wish me luck LOL

So far, the pre-med pre-reqs I have completed:
Biology + Lab Sequence
Physics + Lab Sequence
Statistics + Calculus
English Sequence
Social Science Sequence

I am currently completing my Chemistry Sequence (I got an A for both Gen Chem 1 Lecture + Lab and I am completing Gen Chem 2 this semester)...

That being said, how would me taking the Organic Chemistry sequence at my state school during the summer look to adcoms? I don't mind taking this route, but I am afraid that it is going to be looked down upon since I'm not completing an important pre-req at my university AND I'm taking it during the summer. Thanks, looking forward to all of your input

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
TL;DR: Just from your last paragraph...
Red-Flag.jpg

Don't take OChem 1 or 2 over the summer. Those are very intense, challenging courses when taken at regular speed over a semester. Additionally, they present information that's crucial on the MCAT and as a building block for biochem. Taking them sped up over the summer is not a great idea.

So to answer your question: adcoms look unfavorably on GPA and MCAT drops, and you'd be setting yourself up for both.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! Even though I've been stalking SDN for a significantly long time, this is my first post!

Small tidbit about me:
Black Female

Due to my interest in my minor, I have formed my four year plan around me studying abroad my junior year in order to gain absolute fluency. Even though I am passionate about sciences and medicine, I am still passionate about traveling and learning languages so I do not believe it is fair to restrict myself from going abroad just because I am pre-med. I have been given the option to either take the Organic Chemistry sequence at my state school this summer OR take a gap year (which I don't have much of an interest in doing). Evidently, I chose to subject myself to the Orgo sequence... wish me luck LOL

Biology + Lab Sequence
Physics + Lab Sequence
Statistics + Calculus
English Sequence
Social Science Sequence

I am currently completing my Chemistry Sequence (I got an A for both Gen Chem 1 Lecture + Lab and I am completely Gen Chem 2 this semester)...

That being said, how would me taking the Organic Chemistry sequence at my state school during the summer look to adcoms? I don't mind taking this route, but I am afraid that it is going to be looked down upon since I'm not completing an important pre-req at my university AND I'm taking it during the summer. Thanks, looking forward to all of your input
I, OTOH, would have no objection to your taking OChem 1&2 over the summer at another university in order to make a study abroad experience more workable, so long as you put the work in to get great grades. I did this myself, so I am well aware of how intense the experience will be. Don't plan on holding a job, gaining significant ECs, or having fun aside from your academic experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 227755
Don't take OChem 1 or 2 over the summer. Those are very intense, challenging courses when taken at regular speed over a semester. Additionally, they present information that's crucial on the MCAT and as a building block for biochem. Taking them sped up over the summer is not a great idea.

So to answer your question: adcoms look unfavorably on GPA and MCAT drops, and you'd be setting yourself up for both.

View attachment 227755

Thanks for your response. So what I'm getting from your post is, adcoms won't mind me taking it during the summer however I'm at a risk of properly learning the material due to the pace? I understand that, and hopefully with me staying on campus during the sessions, I will be in the proper mindset to succeed.

so long as you put the work in to get great grades.
^This. I also think it's fine as long as you make the grades and master the material. My standard practice, though, is to advise against the summer route because so many undergrads lack the discipline to make it happen. Then you'll be on SDN in September starting a thread named "Bombed Organic Chemistry over the summer, not sure what to do!"

Don't plan on holding a job, gaining significant ECs, or having fun aside from your academic experience.
Absolutely.

hopefully...I will be in the proper mindset to succeed.
Negative, Ghost Rider. You've got control over your mindset. Don't hope. Make it happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I, ot
I, OTOH, would have no objection to your taking OChem 1&2 over the summer at another university in order to make a study abroad experience more workable, so long as you put the work in to get great grades. I did this myself, so I am well aware of how intense the experience will be. Don't plan on holding a job, gaining significant ECs, or having fun aside from your academic experience.

Thanks! I'm pretty much not having a social life this summer so I could secure this requirement haha. Going to class, studying, eating, sleeping, repeating.

Reactions: 2 users

Small tidbit about me:
Black Female

Biology + Lab Sequence
Physics + Lab Sequence
Statistics + Calculus
English Sequence
Social Science Sequence

I am currently completing my Chemistry Sequence (I got an A for both Gen Chem 1 Lecture + Lab and I am completing Gen Chem 2 this semester)...

Anecdotal evidence, but I ended up taking Orgo 1 and 2 over the summer and it worked out (A in both). Its certainly possible, but with 3 or 4 labs a week (can't remember) and a test every week, its a full time job. To get an A expect to be working 30+ hours a week outside of class. Its possible, but be fully aware of what you're signing up for. I'd recommend looking into organic chemistry as a second language. Its a small book which goes over in brief what you'll see when you're in the course and if you go through that in bits and pieces during the spring semester, you'll be in a good position for the summer. Only do it if you don't have any other obligations during the summer though of course.

Reactions: 1 users
More anecdotal evidence but I took Orgo 1, 2, and labs over one summer at my local state university (I also went to a top private undergrad). To this day I still think it was the best academic decision I have made so far. I think they were 3 of my easiest A's during undergrad and I did very well on the chem section of the MCAT.

I have the second the above poster.

I took Gen Chem II + Lab & Organic I + Lab over the same summer and managed A’s across the board. It was hard work but I’m glad I did it. Had I not, I would have set myself back an entire year for the MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

During the summers professors at my university seemed almost less likely to hand out A's during the summer.

I taught orgo lab in the summer, and the quality of lab reports, along with their lecture assignments, were much lower.

Out of maybe 25 students.
students with a sold "A" in lecture during the summer I taught the lab portion: 0
students with an "A-": 1-2

During the academic year, the number rose substantially for A's and A-'s, proportionally.

I think if the student is a superstar or go to a college that for whatever reason has an easy prof./grade inflation, then summer orgo is fine.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

Personally, I don't think taking prerequisites over the summer matter much because there's something to standardize everything. It's called the MCAT. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Anecdotal evidence, but I ended up taking Orgo 1 and 2 over the summer and it worked out (A in both). Its certainly possible, but with 3 or 4 labs a week (can't remember) and a test every week, its a full time job. To get an A expect to be working 30+ hours a week outside of class. Its possible, but be fully aware of what you're signing up for. I'd recommend looking into organic chemistry as a second language. Its a small book which goes over in brief what you'll see when you're in the course and if you go through that in bits and pieces during the spring semester, you'll be in a good position for the summer. Only do it if you don't have any other obligations during the summer though of course.

I got my hands on the first semester version of Klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. I'm gonna read it over it this semester since I'm only taking 14 credits. Thanks for the tips!

Just something to note - if you go abroad for all of junior year you're going to come back and need to cram / take the MCAT, write your primary, submit your apps, submit secondaries, etc. It will be hard to do a lot of this abroad, and applying late significantly decreased your chances of acceptance.

I would recommend taking the gap year and being as strong an applicant as possible.

UPDATE: I just finished orgo 1 this summer with a B+ in lecture and an A+ in lab. You guys were right, it was not easy at all. I doubted myself constantly, pretty much lived in the library, and dedicated about 35 hours a week to this class. Even though it came with cons, if anyone is reading this and considering doing something similar, this was the best academic decision I have ever made. As long as you're extremely dedicated and willing to put your summer on pause, it's definitely possible. I also feel like I truly grasped the class and can really explain the concepts found in my Kaplan MCAT prep book. Just make sure this is the only commitment you have (I had to turn down working simultaneously because I didn't want to risk it this summer). Now on to the second summer session with Orgo 2! And to others in the same boat as me right now, happy synthesizing!

UPDATE #2: B+ in org 2... Everything said above heavily applies again (although I enjoyed the second half of orgo more than the first).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users