Taking Physics at Easier College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S1lv3rJ4g

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My school has a reputation for having an extremely hard physics curriculum. I am debating whether or not to take physics I/II at a local 'university' where it has a reputation of being much easier.

Would this action reflect poorly on my upcoming application cycle? I'd like to know any and all feedback you guys may have.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Easier College? never heard of it..

also,

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 35 (1 members and 34 guests)

wtf?

Members don't see this ad :)
My first thought is that physics is a hard subject, period. If you feel inadequately prepared then, perhaps, your math skills aren't up to par. If that's the case, take a math class before or concurrently with your physics course. (PS - Statistics is a good class to take concurrently with physics if your Algebra/Trig/Calc is already up to par for the course....it may help you in lab.) Essentially, I'm recommending that you rise to the occasion! This approach may also improve your future MCAT scores.

Stick it out! You may be having to explain your "temporary transfer" to ADCOMs. Friendly tip: they won't be impressed by your "cleverness". You aren't gonna be able to take gross anatomy at Easier Med School when you find out it's really tough at the one you may matriculate at. Just my thoughts.

I did. :ninja: However, I did it to save 5 grand and help me graduate in 4 years. I ended up studying just as hard, so I would be ready for the MCAT.

I took physics over the summer at another college. ADCOMS did not seem to care and if someone asked I explained that I went to a small school and needed to take it over the summer to fit into my schedule and graduate on time while still being able to go abroad. They had no problem with that answer. I think the previous posters were giving you crap because you disclosed the exact reason for why your taking it somewhere else. ADCOMS don't see a course transfer and automatically think your doing something "cleaver", plenty of people take courses away from their home institution for various reasons

I took physics over the summer at another college. ADCOMS did not seem to care and if someone asked I explained that I went to a small school and needed to take it over the summer to fit into my schedule and graduate on time while still being able to go abroad. They had no problem with that answer. I think the previous posters were giving you crap because you disclosed the exact reason for why your taking it somewhere else. ADCOMS don't see a course transfer and automatically think your doing something "cleaver", plenty of people take courses away from their home institution for various reasons

I understand your reasoning. I did my first 2 years at a community college bc of financial issues, and I was a non-trad wanting a smooth transition back into academia. But for the love of God, OP whatever your reasoning is, do NOT tell ADCOMs that you took it there bc it was going to be easier. Lol.

I took psych, english, and calc II at a community college (because it was cheaper, and easier) and got As. These grades and classes transferred to my undergrad institution and factored into my BCPM and Overall GPA for AMCAS. It was a nice boost! No one has questioned me about my reasons.

Hi all,

My school has a reputation for having an extremely hard physics curriculum. I am debating whether or not to take physics I/II at a local 'university' where it has a reputation of being much easier.

Would this action reflect poorly on my upcoming application cycle? I'd like to know any and all feedback you guys may have.

Thanks in advance

Some schools may pick up on it and ding you for it. Others many not catch it. Which schools will be in which category can not be known and for this reason you are advised to apply broadly.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

If you don't have a full scholarship, then try to claim you were saving money by dually enrolling in the course. Another idea would be to say that based on some courses you were taking, the physics lecture would not fit in, and you wanted to take physics during that semester. There are a myriad of stories you could give. Taking physics at an easier school? Do you know for a fact it is easier at this school? If it is a small school and you have old exams, chances are there is going to be a bunch of repeat questions, which could in fact make things easier. The good thing about physics though at the big university is that there is usually a monster curve. I don't know what the big deal is though, biological science courses require more multiple choice, where physics is generally simple calculations, with a narrow to medium degree of latitude.

If you don't have a full scholarship, then try to claim you were saving money by dually enrolling in the course. Another idea would be to say that based on some courses you were taking, the physics lecture would not fit in, and you wanted to take physics during that semester. There are a myriad of stories you could give. Taking physics at an easier school? Do you know for a fact it is easier at this school? If it is a small school and you have old exams, chances are there is going to be a bunch of repeat questions, which could in fact make things easier. The good thing about physics though at the big university is that there is usually a monster curve. I don't know what the big deal is though, biological science courses require more multiple choice, where physics is generally simple calculations, with a narrow to medium degree of latitude.

Good grief, man. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to lie about certain answers! If you take the easy route, just hope they don't ask. Just remember, what work you don't put in now you'll have to put in during MCAT study.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I pretty much convinced my friend to take it at the actual university. My initial thought was always that it might make one look poor under some circumstances, and not so much under other circumstances, hence LizzyM's advice. I personally took it at my university, and although it was challenging, it was definitely worth it.

I completely agree with Poisson's reasoning as well.

LizzyM -- Thank you again for donating your time to helping answer these questions.

I hope everyone else found this thread as informative as I have.

Cheers,