This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc0614

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All- looking for some feedback on my situation. I'm 28 and started premed about a year ago. I'm Married with two kids and work part-time as a cardiology practice manager/clinical assistant.

I'm dead set on med school (preferably DO) but am worried that my slow pace of 2 courses a semester will have a negative impact on my application. I know that med school is super demanding and I am prepared to not work and go all in if/when I get accepted. However during this premed period, I just don't have the ability to not work and go full-time. What are your thoughts?

Also as far as my GPA goes, I have a 3.2 GPA but still have ALL my science classes to do, so I have plenty of time to bump it up right ? Like I'm only starting BIO 1 now..

Please send your thoughts and advice!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All- looking for some feedback on my situation. I'm 28 and started premed about a year ago. I'm Married with two kids and work part-time as a cardiology practice manager/clinical assistant.

I'm dead set on med school (preferably DO) but am worried that my slow pace of 2 courses a semester will have a negative impact on my application. I know that med school is super demanding and I am prepared to not work and go all in if/when I get accepted. However during this premed period, I just don't have the ability to not work and go full-time. What are your thoughts?

Also as far as my GPA goes, I have a 3.2 GPA but still have ALL my science classes to do, so I have plenty of time to bump it up right ? Like I'm only starting BIO 1 now..

Please send your thoughts and advice!! Thanks

Two classes a semester while working full time AND being a parent is a lot, med schools know this. If you do well in these courses you will have demonstrated that you can handle the time commitment of medical school.

You have a great opportunity here if you do well in your science classes left.

I took a CC class with a parent like you and I got to say I respect the heck out of you guys. Good luck!

Two classes a semester while working full time AND being a parent is a lot, med schools know this. If you do well in these courses you will have demonstrated that you can handle the time commitment of medical school.

You have a great opportunity here if you do well in your science classes left.

I took a CC class with a parent like you and I got to say I respect the heck out of you guys. Good luck!
---

THANKS for your advice and support! Juggling kids, work and school is physically difficult and quite the sacrifice. But honestly the psychological stress of the "what if I don't get in" can get to you once in a while. Glad to hear that there is still light at the end of the tunnel!

Best of luck to you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it slow OP. I went back to school at 21, and was worried I'd be "too old" when I graduated if I took my time. So I essentially did my bio degree in three years, with one particular 20 credit semester of anatomy, ochem II, physics II, micro, and research. I barely managed a 3.0. Don't be a hero, I wish I had taken things more slowly, and you will be glad you did. Nobody will look down on you for going part-time, especially in your situation with working full-time and being a parent.

I've been in a similar situation and although its taken me awhile to finish I'm almost there. My only suggestion would be to ramp it up a little (i.e. take 3 classes with labs/ 14 units or so) when you get closer to applying. This way you can prove to the adcoms that you're able to handle the workload.

2 classes to start off won't make you look bad especially with what you already have on your plate.

Good luck!

That sounds like a lot to handle, but you can do it! Props to you!

I worked full time for 4 years and did 2 classes per semester at night (6 classes per year total) for those 4 years and then applied. I was never asked about why I took only 2 classes per semester while working, or why I worked for 4 years.

There's nothing wrong with taking it slow--especially if you're already working part time and are a parent! Do well and you'll be that much more prepared to apply than cramming in those courses for the sake of time :)

The demands a real life on a non-trad are different from the demands on a full time traditional student. I started out a bit older than you, married with 2 young kids and a job. I took 2-3 courses w/ labs every semester, including summer. I was never asked about why I didn't take more.

My biggest piece of advice would be to try to plan things out so that the semester before the MCAT is lighter. You will be thankful for the extra study time.

I also started out taking just 2 classes a semester as a post-bacc and after a year and a half I was ready to apply. This was all while working full time and being married, thought we didn't have a kid yet at that time.

In my interviews, the adcoms seemed very interested in what I had done professionally, and academics weren't really discussed much. I have heard (and my n=1 personal experience) is that DO schools are generally a bit more open to non-trad and career changers. No one asked me why I took so few classes each semester because it was pretty obvious that I wasn't just going to class 4 hours a week and watching Netflix the rest of the time.

Just keep up a pace that allows you to perform at your best; don't neglect your family/work obligations, and check those boxes. You'll be in good shape to apply!