Taking pre-pharm at college vs. university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abeautifulday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a transfer student and I know that classes in college are so much easier than classes at university, especially popular university. I am studying in UW where all the genius are :( even though I studied very hard and still get around 3.0. I asked the pharmacy admission how to calculate GPA in college and university, they told me it doesn't matter where you take class, so what is the point of going to university vs. college. It's totally unfair for university students to get a lower GPA than college student when they study harder, in general. Is there any "secret" preferences in pharmacy admission? I mean they will not explicitly when someone asks if there is any preference between university and college student, but when they view the application, they do prefer students from university. Plus, my advisor told me where you take class matter when you have the same GPA. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say the point of going to a university or a community college depends on a lot of factors. I was considering pharmacy but also was very unsure about the decision as I was looking into engineering/medicine/other stuff.There's also a lot more opportunity to do research if you attend a university and get involved.

However, huge however, If I had known that Pharmacy was where I was ending up I would have preferred to just take the classes at home at the community college, and then transfer to a university. I honestly don't think it matters too much where you took your pre-reqs. In the long run, community college saves time and money (university costs are outrageous and raising as the years go).

Also, for security reasons, I wanted to attain a bachelors degree. I could fall back something on the off note that my pharmacy career failed.

Hope this kinda gives you some clarity from my own experiences.

Last edited: