Taking pre-req's while studying for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking Orgo2 and Physics2 (last prereqs) and I plan on taking the MCAT in April, so I'm concurrently taking courses that I will be studying for on the MCAT. Has anyone else in a similar situation seen an improvment in their grades in those courses just because you are also basically studying the same material double-time? The question may sound kind of dumb, but I think if some people confirmed this it would give me even more motivation for studying :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yup. I can totally relate. I started kinda reviewing last semester while I took Bio I, Physics II and Orgo I. I really saw an improvement in my bio grade and the physics practice questions in ek really helped me get those concepts down.

ditto! i am taking physII and orgoII this semester, and last semester, i got the audio osmosis cds (LOVE THEM!) and they really helped me in orgoI. so i am only hoping they will help in phys & orgo this semester. plus, with stuff fresh in your head, i cant help but think it will be easier going into the MCAT.

just my 2 cents though!

It's definitely possible just by reviewing the material in the prep books.

BTW my advisors say to take human physiology before the MCAT....BS ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Teerawit said:

Physio isn't necessary, but it would definitely be helpful. The BS section loves the renal system.

ND2005 said:
Physio isn't necessary, but it would definitely be helpful. The BS section loves the renal system.

I just studied what is in the prep books...and it has worked fine for me so far :)

Teerawit said:

I actually heard from seniors that human physio was a good class to take before the MCAT. They said that one, cell bio, and biochem were all helpful.

ND2005 said:

I havnt looked at the biology review book yet, but is the renal included in there? I plan on spending a lot of time on bio because I feel like I have a better grasp on the physcal sciences from my coursework so far.

shantster said:
I actually heard from seniors that human physio was a good class to take before the MCAT. They said that one, cell bio, and biochem were all helpful.

They all say that, but I don't find the courses necessary nor will they give you a particular edge. YMMV.