Taking Pre-Requisites Classes At A Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TS2354

Reaction score
I am a current non-traditional community college student who is 26 years old. If I choose to go the premed route. I am planning on taking the following at the community college:
  • General Chemistry 1 and 2
  • General Biology 1 and 2
  • Organic Chemistry 1 and 2
  • Calculus I
  • Statistics
  • College Physics 1 and 2
Before I take General Chemistry. I have to take Introduction to General Chemistry. Since I graduated from high school seven years ago and haven't taken a Chemistry course since sophomore year of high school. I am in my second semester of my freshman year at the community college and I have taken some remedial math courses which I have made A's in. I just have to complete the math sequence of courses up to Algebra Mastery 2 and then I will take Statistics, College Algebra with Limits, and then Calculus I. The only downside is that I have three W's on my transcript. During my very first semester I ended up dropping Introduction to General Chemistry since I got behind. This is because I was working two jobs at the time while in school. Earlier this semester I was struggling with depression really bad and ended up being admitted to the hospital. So, I dropped Introduction to General Chemistry once again since I got behind. I also dropped another course called Professionals in Health which is a two credit hour course. My GPA is currently sitting at a 3.577 and the course that I withdrew from will not have an effect on my GPA. I should make an A in the current remedial math course I am taking which is Algebra Mastery 1. Next semester my plan is to retake Introduction to General Chemistry for the third and final time along with Algebra Mastery 2, General Biology 1, and a History course to fulfill the humanities requirements that I need for my degree. I plan on transferring to a local four year state university to major in Biology. I have also recently bought a Barron's MCAT prep book just to look over and see what how the test is comprised and what the different sections entail. The only concerns I have are the W's that I have on my transcript along with my age. I would be almost 40 years old by the time I complete residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep getting good grades and don’t worry about the Ws. Try to be realistic about your courseload so you don’t keep getting Ws. Start volunteering if you haven’t done that yet—a couple of hours a week will add up nicely by the time you are ready to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice. I currently work as a Nursing Assistant at a local level one trauma center. I have worked there for over two years now. So I have patient care experience. I would also like to gain some research experience as well. Maybe I can do that once I transfer to a four year school. So by the time I apply I will have patient care experience, research experience, and volunteer experience.
Keep getting good grades and don’t worry about the Ws. Try to be realistic about your courseload so you don’t keep getting Ws. Start volunteering if you haven’t done that yet—a couple of hours a week will add up nicely by the time you are ready to apply.

Reactions: 2 users