Taking prerequisite courses during the application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tl91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there any information available on how MD adcoms view completing prereqs during the application cycle for Canadian applicants? Most schools that I've looked at seem to simply require the prereqs be completed before matriculating at the school, but as a Canadian applicant, would that put me at a disadvantage? I have the option of cramming 2-3 courses this summer, but I feel pretty burned out at this point, and would much rather work part-time while completing prereqs September 2014-April 2015 (I've graduated already). Unfortunately, my stats are probably slightly under the average accepted Canadian applicant, so I realize I'm already fighting an uphill battle.

Any ideas? Or is this not something I should even worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a handful of med schools that require the prerequisites be completed by the time of application or by the following January, rather than prior to matriculation. This requirement is stated on their websites. Whether you are a Canadian or an American won't make a difference to the policy. But if your GPA is on the low side, you would make your ongoing academic efforts more worthwhile if you complete the coursework before applying for the advantage a higher GPA would give you (and due to the upward grade trend that would be apparent on your application). Applying at the end of the summer, when summer transcripts are available, would disadvantage your application by being "late."