taking questions about Harvard Longwood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDchouette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current resident, very happy at the program and would choose it again.

I'd be happy to answer any questions for current applicants who are interviewing with us this year. PM me or post here.

Members don't see this ad.

What would you say the level of satisfaction is for most of the psych residents there?

I've been reading a lot of resident horror stories in some of the other threads, so maybe you can chime in a bit on this. Though from what I've been hearing about Harvard is that most of the people seem genuinely happy to be there. Perhaps Harvard selects candidates that generally have a more pleasant disposition.

I think that in itself says something (about success/attitude towards life etc).

What would you say your favorite aspect of being at Longwood is? Also, have you chosen your subspecialty yet?

I'm sorry if my questions (now or future) are pedestrian. I have a genuine curiosity and interest of getting into psychiatry, so please bare with me.

What would you say the level of satisfaction is for most of the psych residents there?
Very good.

I've been reading a lot of resident horror stories in some of the other threads, so maybe you can chime in a bit on this. Though from what I've been hearing about Harvard is that most of the people seem genuinely happy to be there. Perhaps Harvard selects candidates that generally have a more pleasant disposition.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I really love my co-residents. I think we're a normal, fun, hard-working bunch of people. Wednesdays are our didactics day (read: no clinical work!). I like the lectures, but the best part is getting to see my co-residents.

What would you say your favorite aspect of being at Longwood is?
I really like that they genuinely want us to pursue whatever interests us, and there is support for any interest. We have people who do psychotherapy fellowships, research fellowships, academic fellowships, and private practice.
If I had to pick a second favorite, it's that we get exposure to both great therapy training and amazing research opportunities.

Also, have you chosen your subspecialty yet?
Somewhat, but in the interest of not making it totally obvious who I am, I'd rather not say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some questions:...

1. How are the hours like during PGY-1, PGY-2 and beyond? (Especially curious about PGY-1 though).

2. Do any of the residents have time to do research?

3. Are there opportunities to moonlight, and what year is the earliest that you can do so?

1. How are the hours like during PGY-1, PGY-2 and beyond? (Especially curious about PGY-1 though).
I can only speak to PGY-1 and -2. Hours vary both years depending on the rotation.
PGY-1 medicine is...well...medicine. You work like a medicine resident. I only broke 80 hours once, when I was on oncology, and I'm not sure that PGY-1s rotate through that anymore (although I bet you could switch for it if you wanted to).
PGY-1 neuro is very reasonable. You're on the consult service at either Beth Israel or Brigham and you take call on psychiatry. I hesitate to put a number of hours/week on this, but I got out by 6 most of the time and earlier not infrequently. That said, it is a consult service, so if you get slammed one day, you can end up there until 8. This never happened to me in 2 months of neuro, but I know it did for some of my co-residents.
PGY-1 addictions rotation is great learning and really nice hours. The inpatient psych months are also reasonable. I got there between 8 and 8:30 and got out by 6 at the latest, often earlier. Inpatient psych gets busier as a PGY-2.
PGY-2 year varies. During the partial hospital months, you can be done in the early afternoon. During inpatient psych, the hours are longer, more in the 6ish range with some variation depending on how busy the unit is and how many residents are rotating through.

2. Do any of the residents have time to do research?

Yes. You'll see when you come interview. Beginning in PGY-2, Wednesdays after 2 PM are free for scholarly work. Everyone gets 4 weeks of elective in PGY-2 that most people use for research of some kind. If you enter PGY-1 with a defined research interest, you can apply for a research month during PGY-1 as well.

3. Are there opportunities to moonlight, and what year is the earliest that you can do so?
Yes, lots of opportunities, including in-house at Beth Israel and Faulkner. You can start in PGY-3.

Just curious (hence my name): what is the status of the search for a new program director? Is there an heir apparent or are they looking outside of the longwood system? Are people worried about it? Do the residents have a preference as to who it is (as in what kind of psychiatrist, not a specific person, though they probably have that too), or do they kinda assume that anyone would be fine because the place is generally well run?

Given that longwood has so many sites, is there an identified "type" of resident or type of training that people should think when they think "longwood." I know a couple of people who specifically chose longwood after having been recruited by mgh (which my iPad tried to correct to 'ugh') but is there a sense that people have a chip about being at the 2nd most famous residency in the city, or do the longwood residents just see themselves as different from the residents at mgh/McLean? is there a program around the country that seems most similar, or that the modal longwood resident also strongly considered? do the residents identify more strongly with any particular hospital (ie, is one place considered home base?).

Thanks for any answers!

Just curious (hence my name): what is the status of the search for a new program director? Is there an heir apparent or are they looking outside of the longwood system? Are people worried about it? Do the residents have a preference as to who it is (as in what kind of psychiatrist, not a specific person, though they probably have that too), or do they kinda assume that anyone would be fine because the place is generally well run?

Given that longwood has so many sites, is there an identified "type" of resident or type of training that people should think when they think "longwood." I know a couple of people who specifically chose longwood after having been recruited by mgh (which my iPad tried to correct to 'ugh') but is there a sense that people have a chip about being at the 2nd most famous residency in the city, or do the longwood residents just see themselves as different from the residents at mgh/McLean? is there a program around the country that seems most similar, or that the modal longwood resident also strongly considered? do the residents identify more strongly with any particular hospital (ie, is one place considered home base?).

Thanks for any answers!

Hey there, I'm also a (senior) Longwood resident, figured I'd weigh in too and help MDchouette in fielding questions...We're told that the interview process is underway and they have more than a few excellent candidates in the running, but that likely a decision will not be announced until the end of the academic year. There is no heir apparent, and there is not a high level of anxiety about it, because our outgoing program director of 20 years was just promoted to Chief of Psychiatry, so he is still very much involved in the decision-making process and the direction of the residency. All our other training directors are also staying put, so there's not a lot of concern about an abrupt change of course.

Now, for your other questions--your comment about "2nd most famous residency in the city" cracked me up! There are absolutely no chips on anyone's shoulder about this, because that's not really how anybody here sees it or talks about it--if you're a Longwood resident, it's because you thought it was the best match for your personality and goals, and the Selection Committee agreed. Same goes for MGH, Cambridge, and South Shore. So from my vantage point, there's not really any competition, amongst either ourselves or the other Harvard residencies--because there are more than enough opportunities, mentors, grants and fellowships to go around at Harvard! Psychiatry in Boston is a small world, and everyone ends up working together in the long run anyway if you stay in town as an attending. Most of the program directors and attendings have trained/worked together from way back when--everyone knows everyone.

There's not really any "typical" Longwood resident; rather, there's a huge diversity of personalities, professional interests, and backgrounds. What we all do share is the desire to work hard and get things done, get great training, and do it in a collegial, stimulating environment. Most of us chose Longwood because we wanted to train in a program filled with really smart, really awesome people, in a variety of clinical settings with a wide swath of patient populations and psychopathology, and that was the vibe we got when we interviewed (and found it to be true in training once we arrived). One of my co-residents said it best when she said, "There are easier programs to train at--you have to know going into it that you're going to work hard and you're going to see a lot of patients...which, IMHO, is how you best learn psychiatry!" That being said, we never come anywhere close to violating duty hours, have nights and weekends free unless we're on call, and have plenty of time for a real life.

Whew. Sorry for the soliloquy. :rolleyes: It's just that I've had a great experience at Longwood, and I kind of want to shout it out! :love:

MDchouette, you want to weigh in too?

Reactions: 1 user
I have some questions:...

I can weigh in on the PGY-3 year: during your "community psychiatry" semester, your hours vary depending on which community program you've chosen and how you schedule your outpatients, but generally the average work week is between 45-55 hours per week, 8:30-5ish. The consult half of the year is busier, more along the lines of 9-6ish, working 55-60 hours per week. There are a ton of didactics as a PGY3, ~12 hours per week, so factor that in as time "at work" but when you're not on the clinical services. You make your own schedule as a PGY4. :D

Now, for your other questions--your comment about "2nd most famous residency in the city" cracked me up! There are absolutely no chips on anyone's shoulder about this, because that's not really how anybody here sees it or talks about it--if you're a Longwood resident, it's because you thought it was the best match for your personality and goals, and the Selection Committee agreed. Same goes for MGH, Cambridge, and South Shore. So from my vantage point, there's not really any competition, amongst either ourselves or the other Harvard residencies--because there are more than enough opportunities, mentors, grants and fellowships to go around at Harvard! Psychiatry in Boston is a small world, and everyone ends up working together in the long run anyway if you stay in town as an attending. Most of the program directors and attendings have trained/worked together from way back when--everyone knows everyone.

I would be surprised if you could find a single South Shore resident (either now or in the past decade) who could have matched to MGH/Cambridge/Longwood but instead chose to rank South Shore more highly.

Just curious (hence my name): what is the status of the search for a new program director? Is there an heir apparent or are they looking outside of the longwood system?
They're looking outside the system. From what we've been told, the field has already been narrowed considerably, and a new PD will be identified before match but not announced until after, as the new PD will come from another program (which would likely do poorly in the match if people knew the PD was on the way out).

Are people worried about it?
No. No. No. Literally, haven't heard a single resident sound worried about it. People just seem curious and interested in who it will be. Our current interim PD, Christie Sams (whose praises I will sing if requested), will be staying on as senior associate PD, and our former PD / current BI chair is still really involved. As an applicant, I wouldn't be worried about this at all.

Given that longwood has so many sites, is there an identified "type" of resident or type of training that people should think when they think "longwood." I know a couple of people who specifically chose longwood after having been recruited by mgh (which my iPad tried to correct to 'ugh').
I know of at least one resident in my class who was heavily recruited by MGH and chose Longwood. No chip on the shoulders, at all. I think you need to interview at both places to feel the difference. They're both excellent programs.
I don't think there's a Longwood "type" besides what my colleague said - nice, normal people who want to get great training. As I said about, what's great about our program is that I think we can cater to anything.

Do the residents identify more strongly with any particular hospital (ie, is one place considered home base?).
I think the BI is more of a home base, but that's probably just from my perspective as a PGY-2. We spend more time there and take call there in our first and second years.

Did you compare the Longwood program against that of Columbia's?

I've read that Columbia is a particularly strong institution with respect to psych/mental health - so I'm just curious about any deciding factors, if there were any.

Thanks!

Did you compare the Longwood program against that of Columbia's?

I've read that Columbia is a particularly strong institution with respect to psych/mental health - so I'm just curious about any deciding factors, if there were any.

Thanks!

I didn't apply to NYC programs, so I can't comment on this.

Thought I would revive this thread as people get closer to making their final match lists . . . I have met a lot of our interviewees at the pre-interview dinners, and all of you I have met are great! Does anyone have any more questions about Longwood?

Thought I would revive this thread as people get closer to making their final match lists . . . I have met a lot of our interviewees at the pre-interview dinners, and all of you I have met are great! Does anyone have any more questions about Longwood?

I agree -- it's been so much fun to meet and interview the applicants this year. Please don't hesitate to be in touch with me anonymously (via PM) or with the residents who interviewed you if we can help you in any way.

How important are step 1 scores? What do you think are the most important factors for getting into this program?

Step 1 scores are important but only one factor, and I don't have the impression that you need a >230 to match with us by any means. I think our program looks at the same factors that I would imagine all programs do: step scores, clinical grades, letters, research/pubs, etc. Your interview day is also important -- I think we put a high value on people who play well with others. Again, I can't imagine that these factors are much different than those considered by other programs.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions that are specific to your situation.

How important are step 1 scores? What do you think are the most important factors for getting into this program?

I got the distinct impression last year when I was applying that Step 1 scores are not very important in psychiatry residency applications overall. I do not know my fellow Longwood residents' step 1 or 2 scores; I know my own, however, which were not at all above average, and I worried about that a great deal when applying last year. Everything turned out well. As far as what Longwood is looking for, I do know that all of us have some significant experience in psychiatry -- clinical, research, or family-related. The more I learn about my cointern's resumes (which is not easy, bragging isn't common) the more impressive they become in terms of their volunteer, travel, and research experiences. They are also all very friendly and well-rounded in terms of life and career goals. We all have very different personalities and different clinical styles with patients, but the underlying shared factor is a passion for the field of psychiatry. We also all have specific interests within psychiatry that match up well with something that Longwood has to offer -- for me, Longwood was a particularly good match because we are excellent in psychosomatics and neuropsychiatry. I have fellow residents who are particularly interested in child, forensics, sleep, addictions, and my pgy2 "big sib" has done a great deal of impressive research on catatonia. This program is excellent at providing the time to pursue interests within psychiatry and develop our own clinical style, as opposed to having one set notion of what a good psychiatrist is and trying to have us all fit into the same mold.

Seems like this forum has gone dead but I am also a current resident at Harvard Longwood and can field any questions you might have! Fire away.