Taking Remedial Coursework Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccrose

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some advice on this because my advisor is not super clear. I am an international student that studied in the US, and want to know if there is any way to make up a bad grade in a pre-req that I have already taken. I have already graduated, so can't do the "A+ in Biochem to make up for C in Orgo" route. I'm currently in the EU.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any point in taking an online Biochem/Bio-orgo course? Will that new grade factor into my GPA?

2. It's unlikely that I can go back to US till I get an interview invitation letter, but I would be able to do summer classes with an F1 visa. Do those matter/are worth it for courses that you have already taken? I would be retaking Biochem.

This is tricky because I really want to make up that C in Biochem (a B/B+ in bio-orgo did orgo didn't help either). Multiple people have told me not to do with an SMP with a 3.4s GPA so would love any advice on if there is any chance to make things up or if this is a lost cause @ this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While AMCAS will not evaluate an overseas course nor will it be part of your GPA. However, you can list the course on AMCAS so schools can see it. Furthermore, some schools will accept a foreign course as fulfilling a prereq. If you have done all your other coursework in US, then you have a good probability of getting this accepted at prematriculation. You can certainly apply to schools without having completed this course. The MSAR lists when you must complete the course by in order to matriculate.

Dont bother with online biochem. Most schools will not take it and the MSAR will show you that as well

This should not keep you from applying nor from being accepted

However as an international student with a 3.4 is a very very long shot to be accepted. Last cycle only 9% of international applicants matriculated in the US. You need an SMP and even then its still a long shot

Thanks! It looks like you have some insider info that pre-meds are not aware of, so can you tell me why some schools say that International students are considered within the same applicant pool as their US citizen counterparts? There are about 20 or so schools that say this, and several of them have median accepted GPA's of 3.6-3.7. I'm not asking about my chances, I'm just wondering if you think the schools are just doing lip service and this is a lie?! The idea that students need a 4.0/520 may be true for the top 20 places and state schools/the majority of schools that don't take Intls (so you need to be an extra stellar superstar to get there).

TLDR; would schools say they don't make a distinction for Intls and then actually do it behind the scenes anyway? I'm really confused because I spoke to the admissions office of every single school that says they accept intls and most say they do hold them to higher standards but some say that they don't--BUT DO THEY ACTUALLY?

Med schools train people to be doctors in the US. No matter what a medical school will, international students need to be outstanding to have a chance at acceptance.

Well, sounds like I should just give up!

Well, sounds like I should just give up!
You might consider DO med schools if going to med school in the US is your primary focus. They are far friendlier to online coursework, in general. And admissions stats are less-competitive, so an SMP isn't necessarily an imperative for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user