Taking Step 3 before intern year..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minwoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just graduated and am waiting to start my anesthesiology residency in July. Though we do a prelim year of medicine, I have decided to get Step 3 out of the way before intern year starts. I know everyone says I should kick back, relax, travel etc..but there is only so much of that I can do and so little money to keep doing it!

I went ahead and registered for Step 3 and got a 30-day subscription of UWorld. I plan to study for 4 weeks an average of ~7 hours/day with 1-2 off days/wk. My strategy is to use ONLY UWorld and possibly get through the QBank 1.5-2x (possible?)

I know that the actual test is divided into FIP the first day and ACM/CCS the second day...is there any benefit to completing all of the FIP questions first on UWorld and then moving onto ACM/CCS questions...or should I just do the whole thing as random?

I plan on doing the first 1/3 of the Qbank in Tutor mode, then doing the next 1/3 in Timed Tutor, and finally the last 1/3 as Random Timed.

Please comment on my strategy..and feel free to let me know what worked for you! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm trying to also take it before July 1, but we can't apply until after graduation, so I have to wait until Monday because I graduate Sunday. That will cut it really close, and I may end up not getting approved in time because I have read it takes an absurd amount of time for our MD to be verified for new grads. Although, it only takes 30seconds or so for them to cash our checks.

I am reading Master The Boards and doing USMLE world Qbank. My averages so far are in the 60s with a range of 44-77 (weird). Anyway, fingers crossed. I'll take a practice test once I actually get the go ahead to schedule the real test.

Does anyone know if they are going back to the 3 month testing window or if it will stay at 2 for now?

I just scheduled mine and my scheduling permit is for 3 months. It was super quick for me- like a week and half from when I applied til I got my scheduling permit but I graduated last year.

Naturally this is SDN and full of type A overachievers, but ye gods, please tell me you can find other fun things to fill your time up with other than studying if that's an issue. You will appreciate this free time prior to starting residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I signed up and just got approved 3 days later. Should have the scheduling permit soon. It is much faster than it used to be for new grads (they said up to 6 weeks in the past).

I agree, it's an easier test and vacation time during residency is not something I want to use for a test.

took me less than a week to get my permit...

good luck finding test dates though...still trying to see if there are last minute cancellations so I can find the dates I want

Meh.

It's an easy test and vacation time in residency is more valuable than vacation time before residency.

Now that sign up is easier and apparently faster - Id advise anyone with the flexibility to take it before starting to do so.

I so needed to hear this. I'm about 10 days into studying and have done about 1/3 of the Qbank and I'm already starting to wonder...WTF am I doing to myself while everyone else is enjoying their life before residency starts???

Haha Word!!!! At least I know I'm not alone in this, I do have those "WTF I should be enjoying myself before sh** hits the fan" type of moments.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not studying as hard as I did for step 1 and step 2 for sure, hopefully this score comes out decent. Step 3 still isn't looked at as much for a fairly competitive fellowship right ?

I don't know about fellowship - I just want a residency spot. And I'm an AMG. However, I failed Step 1 a couple times and have pretty crappy grades otherwise. Applied October 26 (more than a month after apps opened) and I'm hoping that if I can at least do somewhat decent on Step 3, I can perhaps redeem myself. But then again, who the hell knows if it was my grades, my late app, or both. Keeping my fingers crossed.

With that being said, I am going balls to the wall for Step 3. I can't afford not to. But we are all in different situations - if I had a contract, I would be aiming for a passing score.