Taking summer classes at another school, will it impact my chances of getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheaffs25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year nutritional sciences major and by the end of this semester I'll have taken both gen chems, both ochems, and Bio I. I have a 3.9 Cumulative GPA and 3.82 Science GPA. I also have other ECs and research under my belt; but that's not my question.
Last summer I took Gen Chem 2 at my university, but this summer I have to stay home to take care of my mom (who is clinically ill) and brothers. My advisor told me I should at least take calculus at the local university (which is a smaller, less "prestigious" university--not a community college though). I want to take physics I and calculus there, and spend of the rest of my time volunteering at the hospital near that campus.

When it comes time to apply to med school is it going to look like I took the easy way out by taking Calculus and Physics I at a different school? I didn't come into college with any AP credits (due to lack of them being offered at my high school) so if I have to take summer classes to graduate on time. I'm still going to take the rest of my classes at my university (physics II, biochem, bio II)...but I just want the potential risk of doing so know before I register for those classes.

Members don't see this ad.