Taking the MCAT before 2nd semester Ochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCSC13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior taking Ochem I, and I need to decide how to format my schedule to fit a good time to take the MCAT. I will be taking a year off after graduation, but I want to get the MCAT done before my last semester of college. I have all the other pre-req classes completed. Here are my options:

1. Take Ochem II over the summer, study for the MCAT during fall semester, and hopefully take the MCAT in January

or

2. Study for the MCAT (without Ochem II) this summer with very few obligations and take it at the end of summer

If I were to take the MCAT in January then I will have had molecular biology and Ochem II complete, but I am expecting a very busy schedule and don't know how much time I can dedicate to studying. Would it be crazy to take the MCAT with independent Ochem II studying? I'm in need of advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I forgot most of ochem II by the time I started studying for the MCAT lol. I really wouldn't consider it "crazy" to study ochem II on your own -- I basically had to reteach myself everything anyway. It really depends on how comfortable you are right now with ochem I. Take a little time and look at an MCAT prep book for ochem (I studied with EK) and see if you can follow the new material in it. If you can, you're good to go. Most of what you'll learn in ochem II isn't tested on the MCAT anyway, I don't believe.

Edit: if you don't have a prep book handy, this site is also very, very good http://mcat-review.org/organic-chemistry.php

I'm almost in the same boat as you. I'm taking Orgo II this summer regardless and I'm still not entirely sure if I want to study for the MCAT over the summer and take it in the fall, or if I want to wait until spring 2013.

I'm personally leaning toward the spring, mainly because I haven't taken physics in college yet and I haven't seen the subject since high school. Not to mention the new format is pretty enticing...

31Q (10,10,11) w/o organic chem 2. Ochem doesn't have a section on its own in the mcat (even though I think it should) so it think you should be okay if you an A in Ochem 1. It is necessary that you truly grasp the subject material not just rely on cram sesh material b4 exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will be fine w/o OChem II, as long as you thoroughly go through your study materials.OChem is only about 20-30% of the biological sciences section, and most of that is OChem I stuff or stuff that can be inferred with the basics.