Taking the New MCAT w/o Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoahJoy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the MCAT (and a few of them) prior to the exam change, and did well enough on the last one that I don't see the need to take 2015.

However, back in January when I took my last MCAT, I took a Biochemistry class because I was scared I'd have to take 2015. The class ended up being good, and I enjoyed it.

I now counsel at a youth center, and one the my colleagues was telling me how he is enrolled for the July MCAT w/o ever having taken Biochemistry. He went on to say that he was going through the Kaplan/TBR Books and that was good enough. I don't know about Kaplan 2015, and I only used EK for my bio review, so I am not familiar with the TBR set. But I almost want to tell him, stop!!

What do recent test takers think?

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that if I didn't take a biochem class, I'd be absolutely f**ked for my June MCAT date lol

I don't know how good Kaplan's biochemistry book is (I hear it's good?) but I also would've been a goner without having taken biochemistry. I just took the exam yesterday.

Also took the exam yesterday. Never taken biochem (or orgo II). Yeah I think it hurt me a lot and I committed a lot of study time to biochem. I knew the amino acids, codes and structures like the back of my hand. I can reproduce michaelis-menten and lineweaver burk plot in my sleep but I really wish I would have taken the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it yesterday. I took biochem this last semester and was so glad I did. There was a LOT of biochem. Even woven into other sections outside of bio. Take biochem before the MCAT