Taking time off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midcad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not strictly pre-med, but I'm currently following the basic science/pre-med curriculum, and am very interested in medicine as a field. I've had a very complicated few months, and I figure this board could offer useful advice.

Backstory:
I'm a prospective Neuroscience/Chinese major and just finished my freshman year. In January, a very close former friend of mine and I got into a drunken verbal fight at a friend's party that ended in him hitting me in the face with the blade of a shovel. We were both staying the night and were alone on the downstairs, so no one else was around. Basically, he and I were best friends in high school, I'm gay, he's closeted, and he came out to me one night. We hooked up on and off, but he was always insistent on his heterosexuality. I eventually got tired of mistressing, leading to this fight. We were arguing about something pointless, and that escalated to how we both felt betrayed by the other, and then led to petty name-calling. During the fight I took his ipod and refused to return it (I realize my culpability in everything that follows). He eventually left, but came back 5-10 minutes later while I was lying down and threatened to hit me with the shovel if i didn't return it. I *knew* he was bluffing, so I called him on it, but wound up getting my face slashed down the middle. There was a physical confrontation that ended in me, obviously, going to the ER. I was concussed, with two major lacerations on my eyebrow and through my lips.

I decided not to press charges, since he would have served years and wouldn't survive prison. I still feel like this was the right decision, but dealing with the aftermath of all this has been really, really hard and I don't know what to do anymore. I have panic attacks at random times, several times a day. I saw a therapist once, but I lost my insurance and my school's counselors suck, so now I can't see anyone. *I'm not suicidal*, but I'm think about dying constantly, and can't go for more than ten minutes without feeling crushing depression. I've been told I have PTSD, and I have horrible insomnia now, and socializing makes me incredibly anxious in a way I've never felt before. The seemingly weird thing is that these problems only appeared some time after the assault, and they seem to keep getting worse.

The problem you can help me with:
My grades. First semester, I had a 3.9. Second semester, I had a 3.3, with B's in bio and chem, which I need for my major. Obviously that's not too bad given the circumstances, but I also just finished my summer class, and I think I got an F. I'm signed up for a pretty intense schedule next semester, and I want to go on to a PhD and research language development. I know I still have it in me to succeed, but right now I can barely hold myself together, and I don't know if I'll be able to handle next semester. How do I make up for an F if I want to go to a top-ranked grad school? How does it look to take time off for mental health reasons? Basically, how can I minimize the damage this will do to my academic aspirations?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry about what happened to you and I suggest that you discontinue your enrollment for at least one semester. Taking time off seems to be the best course of action for you to take. You should talk to a physician as well as a psychologist as what you are experiencing will interfere with your life plans unless you get help.

I think you will find this story inspirational:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/48-hours-live-to-tell-one-last-hug/

Last edited:
You need to be seeking professional help, not the advice of this forum. Take care of yourself first then worry about med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your school's counselors and your parents or someone that you trust should be your first stop. Get in touch with them and talk out your problems, see if they can help. If you're not insured and you (can't/don't) want to pay out of pocket, this is your best bet. Good luck on your road to recovery! Remember health before school, because you need your good health to get into your dream school!

How do I make up for an F if I want to go to a top-ranked grad school? How does it look to take time off for mental health reasons? Basically, how can I minimize the damage this will do to my academic aspirations?
Plan to take an academic leave of absence. Seek the help of a counselor you trust. Bring your documentation to a dean and petition for retroactive withdrawal from the class in which you got the F (in case your school has policies that allow this). Don't go back to school until you're ready to excel. Time off from school after an assault will not be held against you. Continuing to earn poor grades because you don't address your problems will. Mental health aspects of your situation need not be reported, if you aren't comfortable doing so, as the sequelae of concussion are a sufficient explanation.

Reactions: 1 user