Taking two classes P/NP to avoid A-?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMDdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman who is taking two courses (not prereq) that I am in danger of getting an A- (though I might get an A). Would taking a P look like a C if I have a 4.0 (mostly A+'s) for the rest of my courses? How would it impact my app? One course is an upper div math course and the other is a programming course.

Members don't see this ad.

Would two P's in non-prereq courses have any negative impact when adcoms look at my transcript?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes -A is completely close the door to Medschool, you should consider changing your major

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I will just take the letter grade then. Time to remove that 4.00 from my resume :(

I'm a freshman who is taking two courses (not prereq) that I am in danger of getting an A- (though I might get an A). Would taking a P look like a C if I have a 4.0 (mostly A+'s) for the rest of my courses? How would it impact my app? One course is an upper div math course and the other is a programming course.
It will impact your application exactly like a C would -- probably not at all since it's only two classes, but your 4.0 will definitely have an asterisk next to it. What is an adcom supposed to think? That your Ps are also As, or that they are the lowest grade possible? If they are conservative, they will assume the worst. This should be obvious to you!

The assumption is NOT that your P is just like all of the other grades that you didn't mask -- they assume you are hiding something (because, after all, you are!), and you would be very foolish to hide A-s because you think you are gaming your GPA to maintain a 4.0. Adcoms are not stupid, and this (taking classes P/F to hide less than desirable grades) has been going on long before COVID.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The assumption is NOT that your P is just like all of the other grades that you didn't mask -- they assume you are hiding something
This is what I was wondering. Thanks.

Definitely keep the grade... Also.... I think it is so great that you are so hardworking and ambitious. More ppl should be like you... that being said, - i apologize for giving unsolicited advice.. but you need to learn how to cut yourself some slack before you drive yourself crazy. At least learn that by the time you get to medical school. Because if you feel like that about each grade, you will literally loose it when you get 70-75 on the first exam. I'm just saying.

Who told you that you need a 4.0 GPA to get into med school? They were lying.

And a 4.0 GPA is like virginity; there's a time to lose it.

Thinking that you're "in danger of getting an A-" is itself a dangerous thought process.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
i mean.... are you surprised? Medical field is full of weird ppl or type A (i am both sort of. hahha)

But seriously, I wouldn't trust a doctor that I knew cried over an A-. They are unable to consider the bigger picture. And constantly stressing over being perfect often leads to absolute and utter failure at some point...

Reactions: 6 users
But seriously, I wouldn't trust a doctor that I knew cried over an A-. They are unable to consider the bigger picture. And constantly stressing over being perfect often leads to absolute and utter failure at some point...
Indeed, perfect is the enemy of good. I have found that students who were perfectionists often tried to learn everything and ended up learning nothing.

And they also always in our offices annoying us about why their 95 on an exam should actually be a 96. Some of them would use mathematics so contorted that they actually warped space-time and my desk started flying faster than the speed of light.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
True ... but hopefully a lot of ppl who are like that in undergrad change by the time they get into medical school or soon after .

Might have to change your username to FutureDOdoc now

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
ok, guys, lets all cut the OP some slack. You remember how scary it is? So much pressure, you always want to get into T10 :)). It is tough out there.