TAP block consent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perform the TAP?

• Yes without consent

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Await after patient is awake to give consent in PACU

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters
How about Foley’s and NG tubes? Does anybody ever consent those? Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate this board. Soon we’ll be consenting people to consent them for consenting them for anesthesia.

Meanwhile while we debate this minutiae, the army of quack, “nurse anesthesiologists” will keep slandering us in public until we no longer have jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the important concept here is that if something is common/routine at your institution, and it's a reasonably safe thing, the less you need to specifically consent for it. We don't consent for Dilaudid PCAs or extra IVs (usually) or rocuronium vs succinylcholine or ETT vs LMA because thats all considered standard care, but that's a hyper-local definition. Does the surgeon consent specifically for a field block for post-op pain? No, and if your institution always does asleep TAPs for certain cases then it becomes more reasonable to not specifically consent for them. It's a matter of perspective and local practice.

Reactions: 3 users