TBR Bio!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozeandlose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been following S2ned's 3 month mcat schedule and TBR passages are impossible to complete. I have no idea what they are talking about and I end up getting 60-70% wrong. I guess on a lot of it as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I read that TBR biol was supposed to be bad but I have no idea. To make sure I read your post correctly, you're getting 30-40% correct?

I found myself getting many wrong at the beginning and then improving over time.

I personally did not like TBR Bio passages at all. I felt that they were way too detailed and relied too heavily on outside knowledge. After about a month of doing SN2s schedule, I dropped TBR bio completely and still did excellent on the MCAT.

If you decide to stick with TBR Bio then don't take your score with them too seriously. Try to take away as much conceptual knowledge as possible but don't worry too much about some problem you got wrong because of some ridiculous peice of info you needed to memorize in order to get it right.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I personally did not like TBR Bio passages at all. I felt that they were way too detailed and relied too heavily on outside knowledge. After about a month of doing SN2s schedule, I dropped TBR bio completely and still did excellent on the MCAT.

What materials did you use for Bio content review and passages? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I dropped TBR bio and started with TPR bio + the TPR workbook passages for bio.
I like the TPR bio much better. The TPR bio passages seem to be more reading comprehension/data analysis type, which apparently is how the real MCAT is.
I'm taking my MCAT in December. I'll let you know if i screwed up by dropping TBR bio:laugh:

I dropped TBR bio and started with TPR bio + the TPR workbook passages for bio.
I like the TPR bio much better. The TPR bio passages seem to be more reading comprehension/data analysis type, which apparently is how the real MCAT is.
I'm taking my MCAT in December. I'll let you know if i screwed up by dropping TBR bio:laugh:

Ahaha thanks :joyful: By TPR bio workbook, do you mean the TPR hyperlearning?

Ahaha thanks :joyful: By TPR bio workbook, do you mean the TPR hyperlearning?
Yup. The TPR Hyperlearning Science workbook. It has discretes + passages for all sciences. About 290 passages all together, with 87 being biology passages. I have the 2012 version. I highly recommend it ! You might be able to pick it up for cheap on amazon/ebay or classified section here.

Yup. The TPR Hyperlearning Science workbook. It has discretes + passages for all sciences. About 290 passages all together, with 87 being biology passages. I have the 2012 version. I highly recommend it ! You might be able to pick it up for cheap on amazon/ebay or classified section here.

I'm using TPR (regular book, not hyperlearning) for Bio content review and TBR for the passages. TPR is def. good for the material but at times, its gets so dull and boring; the worst is the lack of pictures in the book.

I'm using TPR (regular book, not hyperlearning) for Bio content review and TBR for the passages. TPR is def. good for the material but at times, its gets so dull and boring; the worst is the lack of pictures in the book.

I agree they do look dull at times. I've heard great things about TBR bio passages as well. I'm using TBR for physics only, and i feel like it's just the kick in the butt i need.
Honestly, i think the most important thing about our prep is to practice, regardless of what resources we use. Everything just seems to shoot out of my brain if i don't do passages :eek:

What materials did you use for Bio content review and passages? Thank you!
I really just used EK Bio and consulted TBR Bio when I felt I weak on certain subjects. I would rarely throw in a bio passage from TBR if I felt really weak but I still felt that TBR focused too much on memorization of tiny details. You may not feel the same though and like TBR Bio passages.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I really just used EK Bio and consulted TBR Bio when I felt I weak on certain subjects. I would rarely throw in a bio passage from TBR if I felt really weak but I still felt that TBR focused too much on memorization of tiny details. You may not feel the same though and like TBR Bio passages.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Did you feel EK Bio adequately prepared you for the Bio section on the actual MCAT? What was your study strategy for the MCAT?

I agree they do look dull at times. I've heard great things about TBR bio passages as well. I'm using TBR for physics only, and i feel like it's just the kick in the butt i need.
Honestly, i think the most important thing about our prep is to practice, regardless of what resources we use. Everything just seems to shoot out of my brain if i don't do passages :eek:

TBR passages are the toughest I've seen. My bio content is pretty weak so that might be a reason but I'm doing content review through TPR book and even some of those questions in passages seem to come out of nowhere but atleast I can try to do those. TBR is just guessing on each problem, reading the explanation in the back, which makes absolutely no sense and just moving on which I feel isn't much helpful.

I came to this revelation today as well, i was getting about 50% on most tests and a few 100 or 80% but mostly lower scores. If i dont know the answer and i cant expel it from the reading the passage, then i just skip it. often times the question is so in detail that its just stupid...and a waste of time... I'm just using EK bio and youtube videos.

tbr bio is garbage, use it for discreets if you run out of practice material. Study with examkrackers bio and take TPR bio exams

Reactions: 1 user
Did you feel EK Bio adequately prepared you for the Bio section on the actual MCAT? What was your study strategy for the MCAT?
EK Bio prepared me just fine, but I had a pretty solid foundation in bio before studying and had just finished taking a physiology class (which helped a lot).

For study strategy, I used SN2's 4 month schedule but modified it a good amount.

Posted using SDN Mobile