TBR, Gchem, Gasses, Passage 7 # 49/50

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
49. Had chlorine been used instead of fluorine to form UC16, what differences would have been observed?

A. The difference in effusion rates for the two uranium isotopes would be greater than 0.4%, so fewer filtering chambers(pores) would be needed to enrich the sample.

B. The difference in effusion rates for the two uranium isotopes would be less than 0.4%, so fewer filtering chambers (pores) would be needed to enrich the sample.

C. Thedifferenceineffusionratesforthetwouranium isotopes would be greater than 0.4%, so more filtering chambers (pores) would be needed to enrich the sample.

D. The difference in effusion rates for the two uranium isotopes would be less than 0.4%, so more filtering chambers (pores) would be needed to enrich the sample.

I understand why the rate would be less than 0.4%, but not the second part about the filtering chamber pores. How do you tell how many isotopes an element will have?

In addition, chlorine has two major isotopes while fluorine has only one major isotope. The isotopic impurity associated with two majors isotopes chlorine will affect the distribution, making it harder to isolate the uranium isotopes. The UCl6 species can have a mass anywhere in the range of 445 for 235U35Cl6 to 460 for 238U37C16.

Members don't see this ad.

lol i think i understand the second but not the first. The pores would have to be bigger because UCl6 is bigger than UFl6.can you explain the first part?