TBR: Higher Speed of Sound = Higher Frequency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TBR Physics II page 41

"To most effectively increase the frequency in the pipe, one should replace the N2 in the air with"

Answer: H2 and shorten the pipe

TBR says that because H2 is the lightest gas (of the answer choices), speed of sound is greatest.

That makes sense.

TBR also says that increased sound speed leads to increase frequency. How do you know this? How do you know frequency increases (instead of wavelength)?

Members don't see this ad.

TBR Physics II page 41

"To most effectively increase the frequency in the pipe, one should replace the N2 in the air with"

Answer: H2 and shorten the pipe

TBR says that because H2 is the lightest gas (of the answer choices), speed of sound is greatest.

That makes sense.

TBR also says that increased sound speed leads to increase frequency. How do you know this? How do you know frequency increases (instead of wavelength)?
The wavelength will be determined by the length of the pipe. I don't have my book on me to look up that particular passage, but basic guideline: if the pipe is the same on both ends (i.e. both open) the wavelength will be 2L
If it is different on each end (i.e. closed/open) the wavelength will be 4L

Thus, if you keep the pipe length the same, you are setting a constant wavelength λ.
If you vary the gas, you vary the speed of sound in that pipe.

Since v = λf and λ is constant, if v increases, f must increase as well.

Reactions: 1 users