TBR OChem S8 Q68, Q70

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajumobim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q68 and Q70 Gas chromatography separates by affinity for the stationary phase and column chromatography separates also based on the compound's affinity for the stationary phase. If the 2 molecules are roughly the same (differing by position of the alkyl group), then how can the affinity for the stationary phase be that drastically different?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a #68 or #70 in any of the passages in Chapter 8.

Is this the TBR Orgo Part 2 book?

So if you can post the molecules I am sure there is a straight-forward reason.

I don't have a #68 or #70 in any of the passages in Chapter 8.

Is this the TBR Orgo Part 2 book?

So if you can post the molecules I am sure there is a straight-forward reason.

3,3 dimethylcyclopentanone
upload_2015-1-19_23-59-24.jpeg

The above picture is the reactant. The first product is the alkyl group situated between the carbonyl carbon and the 2 methyl groups (on C2). The second product is the alkyl group on C4.
Q68 For the compounds associated with the crude product mixture from Trial IV, gas chromatography separates primarily by:
A) size of molecule
B) the mass of the heaviest atom in the molecule
C) charge of the compound
D) affinity for the column
The answer is D

Q70 The major product from the reaction in Trial II can be isolated using which of the following techniques?
A) Column chromatography
B) Simple distillation
C) Vacuum sublimation
D) Acid-base extraction
The answer is A

I see.

So that isn't any sort of rule or prediction we could make with just a year of Orgo.

They are testing to see if you can rule out the techniques that won't work. For 68 it is easy to rule out A, B, and C - because they will be the same for each isomer.

I see.

So that isn't any sort of rule or prediction we could make with just a year of Orgo.

They are testing to see if you can rule out the techniques that won't work. For 68 it is easy to rule out A, B, and C - because they will be the same for each isomer.

Ok, thanks!