TBR question about period of pendulum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

"How would the period of a simple pendulum be affected, if the point of suspension were moving vertically upward with an acceleration of g/2 m/s^2?"

A. Period increases
B. Period decreases
C. Period remains the same
D. Cannot be determined

Based on the equation f = 1/2pi (square root of g/L), g is directly proportional to the frequency, thus inversely proportional to the period.

In their explanation, they say that the effective g is = g + g/2.

When I saw this, I was confused by how they described the acceleration. By accelerating upward by g/2, I thought that meant that would result in a net downward force of g/2, therefore, the acceleration would still be downward, but decreased. Therefore, acceleration would decrease, frequency would decrease, and period would increase (A). However, due to their explanation of the g/2 adding to g, B is the correct answer.

Could someone help me out with this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm right there with you on this one. It looks like it means the point of suspension is accelerating vertically upward, which would mean the net downward acceleration decreases, which would mean an increase in the period.

I'm not sure why this question's language would mean that effective g = g + g/2.

Which version of TBR is this?

I think it's the newest edition. I bought my book set last summer from TBR

And it was in physics book I