TBR Translational motion, passage #1, problems 6&7 (Halfnia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am really stuck on the last 2 problems of passage 1. It is about how they reduce the radicals. for 6, how do they go from Rd=Vob*sqrrt(2h/(1/2gb)) and get sqrrt2*Vob*sqrrt2h/gb? I am really confused. Can someone please walk me through it.

Also, for #7, how do they go from 2Vox(sqrrt2h/2g) and get sqrrt2Vox(sqrrt2h/g)???? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So for 6, when they derive Rd=Vob*sqrrt(2h/(1/2gb)), the '2' from the 1/2 denominator gets put in the numerator (basic division of fractions). Then the top become sqrt 2 times sqrt2 so they simply but the in a separate square root since it all means the same thing. Does that make sense?

For number 7, its a bit more complicated but just basic multiplication of square roots. The pulled the sqrt2 out of the denominator, 2Vox(sqrrt2h/2g), and put it under the 2 attached '2Vox to make 2Vox/sqrt2. Then the multiplied the numerator and the denominator by sqrt2 and got sqrt2*Vox.