TCOM Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What ever man, you know your the top gunner. anyway iam still deciding, :rolleyes: , it all depends on the fin. aid.. anyways, back to studying, i got so much to do to catch up to you

When all else fails, hand the ball to MJ, he knows what to do.... :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

dbzgohan said:
I love icecream,
thats such a gay username :D, by the way the mavs are going to kill the spurs in game 2, wanna put some money on it!!!!,.

I agree totally, the mavs will win by 15. But I am not willing to put money on it. :)

ac101ac said:
Quick question for those already at TCOM. Is there a dress code such as no flip flops allowed or open toed shoes, spaghetti straps or shorts? The Fort Worth weather is so HOT!! Of course I know we can't go like that on shadowing or rotations but what about to school? I've heard of other schools that do not allow students to wear flip flops and they must be dressed up any time they are on campus even in the library. Any one know the TCOM dress code? Thanks !

There isn't really a dress code here. People tend to wear whatever they want to (shorts, flip flops, scrub pants, pajama pants, etc) as long as they're still decent. In OMM, we're told to wear shorts and sports bras (women), but depending on what part of the body you're working on sometimes we can get away with wearing athletic pants. Just don't wear denim pants to OMM

Members don't see this ad :)
johnjuan said:
I agree totally, the mavs will win by 15. But I am not willing to put money on it. :)

Oh man, don't even start this whole spurs vs. mavs debate thing.... :D

we're told to wear shorts and sports bras (women)

Can you wear a shirt over the sports bra? or are we talking sports bra and that's all? How close is your nearest gym?

ac101ac said:
Can you wear a shirt over the sports bra? or are we talking sports bra and that's all? How close is your nearest gym?

We wear shirts and tank tops (over sports bras for women) to class, and once we begin diagnosing and treating each other, the shirts come off (the sports bras stay in place, naturally). Between treatments, we often put our shirts back on because it gets chilly sometimes. Some people tend to be self-conscious at first about showing off some skin, but you get over that fast ;)

The only "gym" on campus is the Founders Activity Center, which has an aerobic floor/basketball court, two weight rooms, a machine room with treadmills and bicycles, and an outdoor tennis court. If you need something bigger like an indoor track and swimming pool, then I have no clue where to go. Most of us do ok at the FAC

APTX said:
The only "gym" on campus is the Founders Activity Center, which has an aerobic floor/basketball court, two weight rooms, a machine room with treadmills and bicycles, and an outdoor tennis court. If you need something bigger like an indoor track and swimming pool, then I have no clue where to go. Most of us do ok at the FAC

I could be stating the obvious, but I think the gym part was a joke. Although the information was informative.

APTX said:
We wear shirts and tank tops (over sports bras for women) to class, and once we begin diagnosing and treating each other, the shirts come off (the sports bras stay in place, naturally). Between treatments, we often put our shirts back on because it gets chilly sometimes. Some people tend to be self-conscious at first about showing off some skin, but you get over that fast ;)

How long are these "treatments". :oops:

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to find out about a nice track..... maybe in a school like arlington heights.. but is it safe around there?

uh oh, i have to run to the nearest gym quick! :laugh: Who's done with finals? I am!!!!!!! :hardy:

MoxieDO said:
uh oh, i have to run to the nearest gym quick! :laugh: Who's done with finals? I am!!!!!!! :hardy:

I will be in 14 hrs... :D

ac101ac said:
How long are these "treatments". :oops:

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to find out about a nice track..... maybe in a school like arlington heights.. but is it safe around there?

TCU has one nice gym...nearly as nice as Baylor's. I'm getting a year membership there with my roommate for next year. I think it's like 500 for a year, so it's definitely a good deal. They have absolutely everything and they close late and open early (unlike the FAC).

Heh...I hope they don't screen us at the door of OMM, i've got the 'haven't seen a gym in a while' body. That's what I get for being married. Maybe OMM is the inspiration I need to rid myself of these semi man-boobs. :laugh: See you all on the 9th at 7pm in the chat room?

Dax

ac101ac said:
maybe in a school like arlington heights.. but is it safe around there?

I live a block away from the high school and have had no threats to my personal safety; although, there have been a few random car break-ins.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dax said:
Heh...I hope they don't screen us at the door of OMM, i've got the 'haven't seen a gym in a while' body. That's what I get for being married. Maybe OMM is the inspiration I need to rid myself of these semi man-boobs. :laugh: See you all on the 9th at 7pm in the chat room?

Dax

You are TOOOOOOO funny!!! :laugh: I like it.

ILoveIceCream said:
TCU has one nice gym...nearly as nice as Baylor's. I'm getting a year membership there with my roommate for next year. I think it's like 500 for a year, so it's definitely a good deal. They have absolutely everything and they close late and open early (unlike the FAC).

Does TCU charge their alumni?

I'm going to try and make a transcript of the chat tonight and post it here after it's over. Depending on what kind of chat applet they use, it might or might not work well. See ya then!

Dax

Howdy.... here's my sweet cowboy.

Rufito.jpg

I don't think he likes the barbie house but the hat is his favorite.

how was the tcom on-line chat

It was fast!...I tried to cut and paste, but it didn't work for me. One of the moderators said that it will be posted on our website.

Dax

someone correct me if I am wrong.
Summer assignment is to read first chapter of Robbins and Cotran (for those who missed the chat).

MoxieDO said:
Whooohooo, another one from Baylor? Sic Em'!

You know it! I think we may have a large minority in this year's class!

Hey guys,
I will be a first year this year, and currently live in the ft worth area. I heard that those who live in the area are planning on getting together sometime soon. I am totally in. I cannot wait for the semester to start, and to lose my life as I know it ;) To those that don't currently live in the area, I look forward to meeting y'all this July.

~Ryan

Acidfire said:
Hey guys,
I will be a first year this year, and currently live in the ft worth area. I heard that those who live in the area are planning on getting together sometime soon. I am totally in. I cannot wait for the semester to start, and to lose my life as I know it ;) To those that don't currently live in the area, I look forward to meeting y'all this July.

~Ryan
I will be moving into my apartment May 20 and staying for a few days afterwards. Are we meeting up soon or in July. I should be back in FTW July 1 or so.

Acidfire said:
Hey guys,

~Ryan

AH! There's another Ryan in the class! :thumbup:

Are we going to need to buy a PDA for first year? I know it's required for 2nd year but who is gonna get one 1st year?

For the TCOMers do you think it's helpful for us 1st years to buy one? Thanks!

I see no one has posted anything for 5 days, is everyone busy reading their summer assignments? BTW, shout out to jbp100 for posting the Robbins link. I just want to move this thread back to the top.

:D
TCOM 2010

ac101ac said:
Are we going to need to buy a PDA for first year? I know it's required for 2nd year but who is gonna get one 1st year?

I don't know, but from my past experience with schools...things that are "required" are already useless (namely books...) so things that aren't required should be avoided even more.

shutterbug said:
I see no one has posted anything for 5 days, is everyone busy reading their summer assignments? BTW, shout out to jbp100 for posting the Robbins link. I just want to move this thread back to the top.

TCOM 2010

I was busy graduating!!!!! :hardy: :clap: :D

Wooohooo, I'm an official college graduate!

Baylor 2006 TCOM 2010

shutterbug said:

TCOM 2010

Yes! Thanks to jbp100 for the link! I've been reading through it when I have time, pretty interesting. BTW, what is the other assignment?

Dax

Dax said:
Yes! Thanks to jbp100 for the link! I've been reading through it when I have time, pretty interesting. BTW, what is the other assignment?

Dax

I just thought I would share what I accidentally stumbled upon. I figure that when we get to be classmates, everyone will help each other out. I am starting the good karma early. :laugh:

jbp100 said:
I just thought I would share what I accidentally stumbled upon. I figure that when we get to be classmates, everyone will help each other out. I am starting the good karma early. :laugh:
I guess i'll add to it. Here is the transcript of the chat on the 9th for those of you who didn't get the e-mail.

Dax

Attachments

• 2010_chat1_transcript.pdf
    79 KB · Views: 119
Dax said:

Dax

Other suggested reading is biochem. It would be good to review the materials from biochem I, like enzyme reactions, inhibitions, know amino acid structures, etc...

MoxieDO said:
I was busy graduating!!!!! :hardy: :clap: :D

Wooohooo, I'm an official college graduate!

Baylor 2006 TCOM 2010
Congratulations Moxie!!! One big step down....next! Are you going to the TCU-Baylor Season opener in Waco? How far is it to the stadium from here, and are tickets easy to get for Baylor games? Hope your graduation was everything you expected and more!! So when is this get together...anybody know?

shutterbug said:
Other suggested reading is biochem. It would be good to review the materials from biochem I, like enzyme reactions, inhibitions, know amino acid structures, etc...

Hey Shutterbug, was this info. on the transcript? I must have missed this.

ac101ac said:
Hey Shutterbug, was this info. on the transcript? I must have missed this.

Here's what I found from the chat transcript.

<UNT_Dr_Martin> Cellular Science course, the first course, will be more rigorous this year, we're assuming
knowledge of Cell Biology and Biochem

<hellotcom2010> Assuming knowledge of biochem and cell bio? What about non science majors? Please
advise what to do before school starts to be somewhat fresh on some material.

<UNT_Dr_Dubin> Hellotcom2010, I would review some biochem, that would help

<UNT_Dr_Martin> Start reading basic cell biology before coming to school - some biochem and cell will be
presented but it will be fast paced

<Jackie> 9,0Dr. Dubin, do you have a suggested text to do that biochem review?

<UNT_Dr_Dubin> You might look at biochem made ridiculisly simple

That pretty much tells me I need to review my Biochem before school starts because they are going to teach to us like we already know the contents.

Also, you can go to http://courses.hsc.unt.edu/curriculumCalendarFull.cfm?currid=7

and see the entire Fall schedule. Even though it was for 2005, I don't think it would change that much from last year. Just look at the amount of Cell science and Biochem topics in the first 4 weeks. You can also click on the link on the topic and download the powerpoint or Word document for the lectures and see for yourself.

I'm starting to lose sleep already just from looking at the schedule. :eek:

shutterbug said:

Yeah, looking through a biochem book right now. :eek: Glycolysis, oxidative phosphorylation, Kreb's cycle, and electron transport chain pathways are ancient memories for me so i've got some summer work to do.

Dax

Thanks jbp100 and Dax for posting the Robbins link and Chat Transcript. Looks like I got some reading to do, might as well get used to it, right?

dr_frog_2010 said:
Congratulations Moxie!!! One big step down....next! Are you going to the TCU-Baylor Season opener in Waco? How far is it to the stadium from here, and are tickets easy to get for Baylor games? Hope your graduation was everything you expected and more!! So when is this get together...anybody know?

I probably wont go because tickets are pretty expensive (I think). They are pretty easy to get, you can buy them online or go to the stadium before the game...they are usually never sold out. I probably will not go back to Baylor until Homecoming, mostly because I might get to ride a scooter in the parade :p .

Graduation was fun. I spent the night before in the ER because I scratched my eye (no damage, only a small hemorrage). It was the first time I was actually a patient, not a volunteer. Oh well, it's a memory, one captured in photos featuring me with a dark red eye! :oops:

shutterbug said:
Also, you can go to http://courses.hsc.unt.edu/curriculumCalendarFull.cfm?currid=7

and see the entire Fall schedule. Even though it was for 2005, I don't think it would change that much from last year. Just look at the amount of Cell science and Biochem topics in the first 4 weeks. You can also click on the link on the topic and download the powerpoint or Word document for the lectures and see for yourself.

How do you get into the site...what do we use for username and password? Do we set it up somewhere?

MoxieDO said:
How do you get into the site...what do we use for username and password? Do we set it up somewhere?
it's listed on the 2010 class website at this link:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/tcom2010/courses.cfm

OK, everyone who got in, congrats! The class of 2009 can't wait to meet you! Start making contact with us!!! We need to arrange a big buddy/little buddy list, and it would be easier if we knew something about you. Please go to the class of 2009 website and post any questions/comments/etc in the Message Board section. My personal e-mail address is on the website, feel free to write me.
Class of 2009 message board can be found at:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/tcom2009/bboard/index.cfm

We usually don't use it much, but we've all started checking it to see if anyone from your class has written.

shutterbug said:
Here's what I found from the chat transcript.

That pretty much tells me I need to review my Biochem before school starts because they are going to teach to us like we already know the contents.
YES! If you haven't taken Biochemistry, the first class is going to be difficult. I apparently was scaring people with my last post about this...I don't mean to. I did not take Biochemistry, ever, and I passed the class. It was hard, though, and the lowest grade I have made so far. I just want it to be easier and more pleasant for you. So it may be helpful to have looked at this book prior to starting class.

ac101ac said:

I have a PDA, but I haven't used it at all this year. I think it would be better to wait on the PDA until 2nd year.

jbp100 said:
For you cheapskates (like me!) who do not wish to purchase the book before financial aid distribution comes out you may be interested in this:

http://www.robbinspathology.com/content/0721601871/suppfiles/chapter01.pdf

All of you may thank me later! ;)
I know that you are eager to get started, but don't buy all your textbooks right now. Get the biochemistry book if you need to review, but please contact people from the class of 2009, since many of us would be glad to lend you some of the books.

go here and start posting:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/tcom2009/bboard/index.cfm

MoxieDO said:

*edited by DrMom*

Please do not post school passwords

MarkTCOM'10 said:
One of the students on the TCOM2009 website posted some "Tips for new students" and she mentioned that if we had not taken biochem, then we should get the biochem textbook and start going through it. I haven't taken biochem...so I am thinkin of buying the textbook now, but it seems like a lot of people are saying to wait...so I dunno...

The reason some people have said to wait is because the Class of 2009 was able to get a lot of books either handed-down or cheaply from the class ahead of us. There is another post on here that has a list of books that Dr. Martin recommended you buy first. Most of those books are different from the ones we used. So, sorry, but you'll want to buy those yourself. I got mine from Amazon.com, but there are a lot of online booksellers.
My personal opinion is that you should begin reviewing Biochemistry now so that the first class is a little less confusing. You can still pass it without reviewing Biochemistry, it's just harder that way.