Teacher or Scribe Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextertrip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get some thoughts from the great members of student doctor network. I am graduating this May and have been preparing for a gap year by applying for positions. At this point I have been offered a position as a scribe and a position as a junior high school science teacher at a charter school. Obviously the teacher position pays more but this aside I would love to do either and am looking for some advice. I've always loved teaching, but decided that I want to be a physician. Would an adcom look at an applicant that takes a teaching position(other than teach for America) as evidence that they aren't serious about becoming a physician. I would love becoming a scribe to help develop medical jargon for medical school interview and to get an early start. Is there anybody out there that has been in a similar situation or has some wisdom to impart on me. And before your response is "do what you'll love doing" I think I would enjoy and dislike each job for different reasons and in the end I'm looking for ways to help me sway to one or the other. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good. If you are really lacking in the clinical department, take the scribe job. In the words of an older physician I work with:

"The experience you obtain from scribing is unlike any other premedical activity."

I am a scribe, so this is somewhat biased. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm getting to build relationships with doctors and really understand what it is like to be a physician. The program I'm in is very supportive and offers the opportunity to go on grand rounds, attend lectures, have mock interviews, and help prepare for applications and interviews, so that's also a plus.

I don't necessarily need more clinical experience (for the sake of my application) as I worked in a private practice for 18 months. Obviously all pre-med could use more clinical experience though. Thanks! Anybody have a case for teacher?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As a teacher myself, I would encourage you to consider teaching. I have had little trouble as a teacher getting into medical school, have varied experiences that have allowed me to develop speaking skills and confidence outside of medicine while also doing something to serve others, and have now seen the inside of another profession, giving me the certainty that medicine is the right fit for me and worth fighting for. The added financial benefit will enable you to be in a better position to start medical school, to top it off. If this is a reputable school that teachers usually enjoy working in, give it a shot!

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with @clairephillips! If your clinical experience is covered, I highly suggest teaching. I have also been teaching, and the skills I have gained from it are invaluable. Medicine involves teaching, and being a good, effective teacher is a skill. Just make sure you know how to answer the question "Why medicine and not teaching?"

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also a teacher, so I'm going to agree with the 2 users above. Go for the teacher's position assuming it's at a good school. Teaching is a very enjoyable job, and it has the added benefit of allowing you to make a big impact on someone's life. The communication and other interpersonal skills you gain from it is a nice plus.