teaching in residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oxycotin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone here isn't thinking about doing a residency but for those who are thinking about it, what do you think of the teaching aspects of residencies? I myself have always been a reserved person and don't really like to speak in front of large groups. Anyone else kinda nervous about it? I know that pharmacists should be able to speak to people but giving lectures is a little different than everyday patient/customer interactions.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally love the teaching aspect of residencies and am applying to some programs where teaching is a big part of the experience. I think many residencies require you to do one or two lectures to a class if they are affiliated with a school of pharmacy. I would be nervous about it too, but I think it's a pretty good experience. Some programs give you an appointment as a instructor and you get to teach labs and hold discussion groups with pharmacy students.

Where are you applying to?

It really depends on the support you get and give.

As a grad student, I can easily divorce myself from teaching duties and focus on my professional ones. Also, I've had educational pedagogy and theoretical training before hitting the classroom, so I know how to handle myself appropriately. My graduate and coordination faculty are VERY supportive of my efforts and their advice is insightful. Also, being a pharmacist, I can walk away from this job, so I don't get stuck with the really bad duties.

The residents try to be bright and cheerful, but it's quite obvious that they are really tired. The residents only have this duty tacked onto their other clinic duties.

We all try to do a good job, but there just isn't the time for a resident to concentrate on teaching. It is ironic that residents aren't trained in the theoretical (or to a large extent, practical) issues of education, whether it be student or patient.

I enjoy and bring pleasure to my teaching aspect of the career, and I know my students would agree if asked. I can't say the same for the residents...

My own two cents about teaching in a residency:
1. Make sure that it's really training instead of dumping a duty upon you.
2. Make sure you "staffing" requirement is waived during this period (because you are still "staffing")
3. Make it a point to be wild and experimental while grounding yourself in the theoretics. Too many of our practice faculty throw around "critical thinking" without doing it themselves, much less pass it onto their students. Failing to do a good job at this stage isn't a cause for concern if you can rectify it in future experiences.

There's another thread on this subject somewhere as well...