Tech nowgoing to be Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cows93

Cornell 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering if you could help me out? I am currently a liscensed Vet. tech in Pa. and will be attending vet school in fall (most likely out of state) what do I do with the liscensing? I would like to maybe come back during summers and work , do I need to keep my liscense active? Should I try to transfer it to the state where I'll be attending school? ANy help or advice you can give would be appreciated:) Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone I was wondering if you could help me out? I am currently a liscensed Vet. tech in Pa. and will be attending vet school in fall (most likely out of state) what do I do with the liscensing? I would like to maybe come back during summers and work , do I need to keep my liscense active? Should I try to transfer it to the state where I'll be attending school? ANy help or advice you can give would be appreciated:) Thanks
Yes, keep your license active (your DVM/VMD schooling should count as your required CE)

It depends on where you want to work as far as getting your license transferred-it is not that difficult usually. You simply need to have your VTNE score sent to that state's board, along with a "letter of good standing" from your current state's board that verifies you are in fact a fully licensed veterinary technician and not on suspension for anything.

I would still keep up your license in your home state though-it's easier to keep a license current than renew a lapsed one. Some states have "out of state" licenses that allow you to keep current but at a reduced rate.

Hey Cow93! Congrats (soooooo Jealous!) Answer to your question depends on where you what to work over the summer. If you plan on going home then absolutely keep your license current. As Orthonut said, tis far better to pay to keep active then to have to request reinstatement--OUCH! If you wanna work in the state you are going to VS in, then contact or go online to the board of vet medicine in that state and they should have the details for obtaining a vet tech license in that state. Not all states require the VTNE or even licensure so check it out before hand. If they do license and require your VTNE scores then see if the PA vet board will verify your scores from their files first and whether the other state will accept that. I just found out it cost $80.00 to get VTNE score reports sent and that doesnt include the fee for license verification from my state or the application fee for the state I am going to. Yikes! I had no idea. I figured GRE score report runs about 15 bucks so it couldnt be that much. NOT! Anyway, the state I am moving too will allow my current licensing state to verify my scores without an official score report (in other words the licensing states writes down on paper that your are licensed and your score was ??? when they orginally licensed you). Of course my licensing state WILL NOT do that. (Poopy heads) and so now I have to shell out 80 bucks extra. So if PA will then I urge you to take advantage of that. fF you have any more questions just PM me. Congrats on VS-- decided where you going yet or are you still waiting for TN?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's VTNE. Veterinary Technician National Examination. not "NVTE"

Here is the link to AAVSB (American Association of Veterinary State Boards) they have links to most states and provinces with licensing requirements and transfer requirements posted.

http://aavsb.org/

Do you feel like there's a distinct advantage to being a tech first? Not that you chose to go that way at first, but regardless, it seems like you'll be much more prepared for a lot of situations in vet school. Do you agree?

I wonder how many people choose to be techs when they can't get into vet school right off, or just choose to do that first (and then realize that they want to be vets)... I had never considered it, but I have a coworker that swears up and down I should let the vet school thing go for a year or two and get my tech certification. I was only rejected once, by one school... I don't think a complete change of plan is warranted?

Sorry for taking the thread in a different direction, it's just something I've wondered about.

Do you feel like there's a distinct advantage to being a tech first? Not that you chose to go that way at first, but regardless, it seems like you'll be much more prepared for a lot of situations in vet school. Do you agree?

I wonder how many people choose to be techs when they can't get into vet school right off, or just choose to do that first (and then realize that they want to be vets)... I had never considered it, but I have a coworker that swears up and down I should let the vet school thing go for a year or two and get my tech certification. I was only rejected once, by one school... I don't think a complete change of plan is warranted?

Sorry for taking the thread in a different direction, it's just something I've wondered about.
No I do not recommend getting tech certification 1st if you know that you want to be a vet. It is a long path to becoming a vet and since it is an associates most of the courses are geard to what you need to learn for your job only and do not transfer. I definitely do not think, in your situation, it is the optimal choice.

I do not know if I will be more prepared for vet school or not. I definitely think I have wonderful experience and training already under my belt, but now instead of restraining the animal for someone else to examine I'll be the person doing the exam:hardy: This reply is kind of jumpy sorry I'm tired. Hope it helps in some way

Thank you for your replies. I will definitely plan on keeping my license utd.

I do see the difference in the professions. I suppose that, if nothing else, being a tech first helps you inderstand and appreciate what the techs do for the vet! so, when you ARE the vet, you won't be rude, demanding, or inconsiderate to someone who does lots of hard work... not that all vets are, but it happens. I work in a lab, and I'm glad I won't be the one marching in there and demanding results and why isn't this done by now, blah blah blah... talk about rude. There's one vet here... intern, actually... and when she walks in, I hum the Darth Vader theme song to myself. Haha.

Iso, when you ARE the vet, you won't be rude, demanding, or inconsiderate to someone who does lots of hard work... not that all vets are, but it happens.

Bingo. You can totally tell the vets who have been assistants or techs before, and the assistants and techs in turn will work a lot harder and faster for those vets :)

Bingo. You can totally tell the vets who have been assistants or techs before, and the assistants and techs in turn will work a lot harder and faster for those vets :)

Yep, I loff my techs. I hug them and sqeeze them and call them George. Not really-I just buy them pizza and stuff.

They're the ones who fill up my lube jugs in the truck so I don't have to think about doing it myself at 2am after a nights worth of dystocias.