Technion 2013 Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogitoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting the thread for Technion 2013. I know I'm not the only one accepted so who has and will you be in Haifa this year?

:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

I will be interviewing in the NY office in a few weeks. Any interview tips? Who did you interview with? What was the tone? Any surprising questions?

Congratulations on your acceptance - hope to see you in the fall!

Last edited:
I also interviewed at the NY office at the end of January. There were two interviewers, one I think was the dean of the medical school and another was a professor at the school but they interviewed me at the same time... For the most part it was pretty laid back, standard interview questions and nothing suprising. The office and the whole experience I'd have to say was very nice.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a facebook group or listserve for accepted students? It would be great to start talking about/coordinating things for our class.

Looking forward to starting in October.

What is the deal with the Hebrew Ulpan? I probably got a 50-55%, maybe a 60% at best on the pretests. Will that be good enough to exempt me? Anyone know from past years?

.אני מדבר מעט עברית. הוא אפשר שאני עברתי את המבחן
fluent hebrew speakers failed the hebrew test here, had to argue to get exempt. if your hebrew is average- may be worth sticking it out for the first yr if you can, since you will have more time that second yr and may be able to really improve.

if you are confident enough to have a conversation, then by all means get exempted bc you will cherish the free time it will earn you.

i think this forum needs to start posting about starting school, what we are bringing, and all the other 1000 logistics about technion!

For those of you who have decided to join us at the Technion: welcome.
For those of you who chose elsewhere- best wishes.

If you have the cash and are interested: come here early and get a car. Having a car can make your life a hell of a lot easier. Pros: no waiting for a bus, paying for cabs or arguing over prices. Saves you a pile of time when it comes to shopping and getting around and allows you to travel if you have time. But, in order to do this, I'd recommend getting to Israel early as possible so you have time to look around and not make a rushed decision. The negatives of the car are pretty obvious- gas, maintenance, parking as well as safety, as the drivers here are notoriously crazy, similar to NYC in my opinion, sometimes far worse-very variable.

What to bring? a rain jacket is wise for the winter as it rains here very heavily when it does in fact rain. Sunglasses as the sun here is a bitch too.

probably bring as many clothes as you can. The quality of the clothing here, in Haifa especially is not so good. Things are very fitted and tight, so unless you are modelesque or a complete narcissist you will hate wearing clothing that is three times too small for you. It is also fairly pricey too- so bring your winter and summer clothes if you can. People do not wear suits in Israel. It may seem fashionable to bring your dressier clothes for synagogue or such events but people wear sneakers to clubs here ;-) so try and be sensible: no tux with top hat and cane.

If you can only carry your winter clothes- I would recommend bringing your summer clothes with you during winter vacation or pesach break If you fly home that is.

It does not get that cold here, at its coldest it gets to about 36-40F/16 C at its worst. It may feel colder due to the wet weather. Make sure you have short sleeved shirts available for the heat.

Antibacterial soap is not here- so if you are a germ nut- bring that
multivitamins- waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive here than the US back home may be 12 dollars for a bottle of pills, here, approx 30, and they tend to only sell GNC brand.

Buy the First Aid for the USMLE- you can purchase it here, but I think its cheaper stateside. use that book as a guide to ensure you are covering what you need to cover in your courses. They are not going to teach you neuroanatomy and things like that, or behavioral science- so the book is helpful for that.

It is debatable as to whether you should carry rolls of cash like a pimp. Some people like to bring stacks of money and exchange it here as they need it. Others prefer the ATM- i'd say its good to have a minimum of $1000 on you for emergencies ( you never know right?)

shoes- they do not sell normal width shoes here. I do not know why, but in Haifa I have been to numerous shoe stores and they have NEVER had normal width shoes- only wide width, they told me each time that you can not buy normal width shoes in Israel- only wide width. Presuming that is true (at least for Haifa) may be wise to bring a few pairs of sneakers, your dress shoes-if you wear them for holidays, shabbat. etc.

ac/dc adapters. voltage converters can be bought here- but not so easily as you would think so maybe have one on hand as well as the ac/dc plug adapter- you can get them online pretty cheap- bring a lot. Your laptops will need it, as will any canadian/american appliances you bring, shavers, phones etc.

May be wise to bring a first-aid kit of sorts, ointments, cough/allergy meds, peptobismal type drugs too (ppl get food poisoning fairly often it seems) bandaids etc- you can buy that stuff here, but depending where you will live it may be a long walk to the pharmacy, and when you are sick you wont want to deal with that. Also, some of the drug names are different, so unless you are familiar with what you use at home it can be daunting. You can't just pick up benadryl off the shelf- you ask the pharmacist for what you need and he tells you how to take it...yes, indeed the age of the medeival apothecary lives on in Haifa. They are very helpful actually, but its easier if you have your homegrown favorite drugs on you.

Bedding, If you are getting an apartment, you will need bedding for the apartment or your dorm too. Maybe inquire ahead of time to the dimensions of the bed and get some sheets so you can sleep when you arrive.

Bring passport sized photos- get them done at home and have them on hand. you will need them for your visa, and any formal documentation these days...mcats needed it, the usmle needs it, visa like i said, who knows what else.

For the most part, everything can be bought here. If other things come to my mind I will post.

You really can do it in two suitcases plus a carry on.

Last edited:
Thanks Medgrunt that was really informative! Ill make sure to keep my tight fitted pants at home!

Hey medgrunt,

Are those plugs in Israel able to receive both plug C and H? I'm not entirely sure which type to get. Thanks!

Drex