Teetering, help me get afloat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Durbic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey SDN,

Let me know what you think of my plan.

Currently a Fourth Year at top 25 school. URM status (black male). I have ~3.3cGPA with a ~3.1 sGPA. These are low for Medical school admission, that is why I fully intend on attending an SMP after I finish college. Some of the ones I am going to apply to are Georgetown SMP, VCU, EVMS, Drexel, and Cincy's. Are there any others that I should apply to? What are my chances at the above schools? What MCAT score should I shoot for to make up for my GPA and to remain competitive for these SMP's?

I have good volunteer, clinical, and leadership experience at my university. No research experience. If I get into VCU's masters program, I'll probably opt to do the two-year route there and do research for a year with them.

After the SMP, assuming I do well, I hope to apply to some decent schools. I hope to stay in the DC area so schools like Howard, Georgetown (#1), George Washington are high on my list.

Any and all responses are welcome and appreciated!!

It was a few years ago but I was able to get in with a GPA less than yours. Total was 3.15 and science was either 2.9 or 3.0. I was a top 10 school and MCAT was 33. Interviewed at UCLA, Duke, Emory, Morehouse, and Howard.

I would study hard for the MCAT, if you crack 30+ you should be able to get in coming from a strong undergrad. A strong undergrad can offset a lower GPA.

The climate may have changed a bit and it seems med school gets more and more competitive so maybe current M1's have a better idea

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat and I was told to do a lot of different things. But, why haven't you considered just taking more science classes at your local university to boost that sGPA? An SMP is risky, where as a few years of a solid GPA would affect your undergrad grades and you wouldn't need to spend nearly as much money. For example, you can get a job with a PI at your local school and get half off tuition; get your science GPA up and get some research done. Look into NIH programs too as they let you take classes for free (IRTA and Academy).

hey. i agree with asli. why dont you just take a year after school and take some upper level science courses and maybe get some research in? its definitely cheaper than an smp and in my opinion it would probably help you out a lot. of course i'm a little biased since that's what i'm currently doing myself...

It was a few years ago but I was able to get in with a GPA less than yours. Total was 3.15 and science was either 2.9 or 3.0. I was a top 10 school and MCAT was 33. Interviewed at UCLA, Duke, Emory, Morehouse, and Howard.

I would study hard for the MCAT, if you crack 30+ you should be able to get in coming from a strong undergrad. A strong undergrad can offset a lower GPA.

The climate may have changed a bit and it seems med school gets more and more competitive so maybe current M1's have a better idea

Things have change..at least push for a 3.4-3.5

Since you are a senior, I would look hard into summer medical enrichment programs like UNC MED or the Profile for Success (PFS) Program http://www.dent.umich.edu/mca/profileforsuccess
Deadlines for programs are usually February.
For example, UNC MED program guarantees interviews for all participants at the medical and dental school, and the higher you get ranked the more likely you're going to get accepted. Plus you get paid a stipend and you get an evaluation letter and do clinical shadowing, and take medical school courses for nine weeks and have med student TAs.

Use the AAMC summer program list to find some in your state, but google too.

Make sure you apply to more than one, some programs are very competitive.

Last edited:
thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate any and all insight. I am sure that there are some people on this forum in this very position, so please keep commenting so you can help all of us.

@Sinclair - I haven't come from an economically disadvantaged background, so I don't think I am suited for the programs you mentioned. That being said, I appreciate you bringing them to my attention.

@asli + dmndangel - I'm trying to graduate and get the hell out of this city =D. Money isn't too much of an issue as far as these 1-year programs go. The main goal is to find my way into medical school someday.

As I mentioned before, more responses please! Thanks to all who have shared their input thus far!

thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate any and all insight. I am sure that there are some people on this forum in this very position, so please keep commenting so you can help all of us.

@Sinclair - I haven't come from an economically disadvantaged background, so I don't think I am suited for the programs you mentioned. That being said, I appreciate you bringing them to my attention.

@asli + dmndangel - I'm trying to graduate and get the hell out of this city =D. Money isn't too much of an issue as far as these 1-year programs go. The main goal is to find my way into medical school someday.

As I mentioned before, more responses please! Thanks to all who have shared their input thus far!

SMPs are a great choice if your uGPA needs work. Nothing shows adcoms that you're ready for medical school like an SMP. A successful year in an SMP basically omits your undergraduate past. In addition to the schools you listed, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Tufts, Tulane ACP, and Boston U seem to be good programs. Since all of these programs are pretty popular, you're gonna need atleast a 27 to get accepted. In my opinion, you should apply to medical school while you're enrolled in the SMP. (If you get the MCAT score you need)

From MED FAQ page: http://www.med.unc.edu/medprogram/faq
What is the definition of disadvantaged, in terms of being eligible for the MED Program?
The definition for disadvantaged status is any student who is considered economically, educationally or socially disadvantaged within the USA. Examples of each are as follows:
Education: Attending schools that are considered disadvantaged in ranking or that are in underserved areas of the state (such as Eastern & Western NC)
Economic: Low family income and individual income
Socially: A member of certain disadvantaged groups that are considered underrepresented in the medical/dental professions, such as African-American, American Indian, Hispanic or Pacific Islander. Non-traditional students, such as older applicants may also be considered.

I did MED and my dad is a physician, so you are definitely eligible. Also, look for ones in private schools and ones in your state, since state ones like UNC have in-state preference.

Here's an Osteopathic one http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/SummerScholars/information.htm

Also talk to your pre-health advisor or pre-health club if you have one, they should have access to a list or of these or suggestions of ones past students did as well.

Oh yeah, here is the massive list
http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

Deadlines are approaching, better get crackin'.

They really should make a URM summer program/postbac sticky here...

Last edited:

What is the definition of disadvantaged, in terms of being eligible for the MED Program?
The definition for disadvantaged status is any student who is considered economically, educationally or socially disadvantaged within the USA. Examples of each are as follows:
Education: Attending schools that are considered disadvantaged in ranking or that are in underserved areas of the state (such as Eastern & Western NC)
Socially: A member of certain disadvantaged groups that are considered underrepresented in the medical/dental professions, such as African-American, American Indian, Hispanic or Pacific Islander. Non-traditional students, such as older applicants may also be considered.

I did MED and my dad is a physician, so you are definitely eligible. Also, look for ones in private schools and ones in your state, since state ones like UNC have in-state preference.

Here's an Osteopathic one http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/SummerScholars/information.htm

Also talk to your pre-health advisor or pre-health club if you have one, they should have access to a list of these as well.

My advice is to apply where you want to go, even if these forums give you the impression that you have NO CHANCE.

I have a similar background. African American, top 5 undergrad, pretty good ECs including leadership, volunteer, research, etc. gpa/mcat: 3.2/32. I took a couple years off to do research which helped I think which may parallel the SMP program for you. I felt similarly under qualified, but decided to just apply to the places I am interested even though at first glance my stats don't quite match up. Also, I applied at the deadlines... 10/15 primary sent, 11/15 most secondaries sent. I actually just got a secondary invite from UCLA yesterday so I will be finishing it up today...

If you can make a good story with your essays and show that you are well rounded, you have a chance. Out of 7 apps (due to financial constraints)... 2 interviews so far, Columbia and USC. I realize the risk of applying in this manner, but I mention it to say that there are many ways to get discouraged, and you shouldn't. adcoms will sometimes surprise you

My advice is to apply where you want to go, even if these forums give you the impression that you have NO CHANCE.

I have a similar background. African American, top 5 undergrad, pretty good ECs including leadership, volunteer, research, etc. gpa/mcat: 3.2/32. I took a couple years off to do research which helped I think which may parallel the SMP program for you. I felt similarly under qualified, but decided to just apply to the places I am interested even though at first glance my stats don't quite match up. Also, I applied at the deadlines... 10/15 primary sent, 11/15 most secondaries sent. I actually just got a secondary invite from UCLA yesterday so I will be finishing it up today...

If you can make a good story with your essays and show that you are well rounded, you have a chance. Out of 7 apps (due to financial constraints)... 2 interviews so far, Columbia and USC. I realize the risk of applying in this manner, but I mention it to say that there are many ways to get discouraged, and you shouldn't. adcoms will sometimes surprise you

Good points and all it takes is one acceptance

SMPs are a great choice if your uGPA needs work. Nothing shows adcoms that you're ready for medical school like an SMP. A successful year in an SMP basically omits your undergraduate past. In addition to the schools you listed, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Tufts, Tulane ACP, and Boston U seem to be good programs. Since all of these programs are pretty popular, you're gonna need atleast a 27 to get accepted. In my opinion, you should apply to medical school while you're enrolled in the SMP. (If you get the MCAT score you need)

At least shoot for a 30.

Also OP, some SMPs require that you apply to their school before they even look at your application (ie. OSU).

Also talk to your pre-health advisor or pre-health club if you have one, they should have access to a list or of these or suggestions of ones past students did as well.

Oh yeah, here is the massive list
http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

Deadlines are approaching, better get crackin'.

They really should make a URM summer program/postbac sticky here...

Thanks for the info. I'd never heard about this.

If you venture into the post bac forums they have a massive sticky, and within it is a list/breakdown of such programs.

Good luck man!!!

-kickstart