Tell me about NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Helicon2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, maybe one of you current students can help me out. I looked through NJMS's website and found some good stuff on the curriculum, but I'm looking for some more info. How much do students there get involved in research? What's the earliest clinical experiences that students get (i.e., when do students start practicing w/ patients)? What's the atmosphere there re: competitiveness, availability of faculty for help, etc.? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Helicon2 said:
Hey, maybe one of you current students can help me out. I looked through NJMS's website and found some good stuff on the curriculum, but I'm looking for some more info. How much do students there get involved in research? What's the earliest clinical experiences that students get (i.e., when do students start practicing w/ patients)? What's the atmosphere there re: competitiveness, availability of faculty for help, etc.? Thanks!

I also have the same questions. And I also want to ask how well their students perform on the match and the national board exam. Do they match more than, around, or less than the national average? Similarly, do they score more than, around, or less than the national average on the board exam? Although these things depend on individual performances, it is very helpful to know these numbers since they would tell the prospective applicant something about the success level of the curriculum, the faculty, and the medical school as a whole in preparing the future generation of doctors. I gave the website a cursory glance, but I couldn't find much about this stuff, so it would be helpful if someone currently attending NJMS--or someone who simply happens to know the inside scoop--to answer these questions for us. Thanks.

**EDIT: I just realized my question has been addressed in another thread. Please disregard this one.**

At least half of the class does research during the summer. Some students do research during the year but I would recommend waiting a semester and then getting a handle on med school life and how to study and then you'll be fine. Plus, anatomy will be over and you'll have tons of free time.

You start your clinical exposure (preceptorship) during the middle of the first semester. it's about once a week (total of 10 weeks) for one semester usually and you spend about 3hours with a doctor in the area. 10weeks might not seem like a lot but they usually don't plan preceptorships around exam time and the first month or so you are learning H&P

You're always going to have competitive kids in the class. Some are helpful, some are not. this is the same at every school and worse at higher ranked schools. Same goes for the faculty. Some are very helpful, and some aren't. Its the same for every school. You won't find a single school out there where EVERYONE on the faculty truly cares about the students. If you don't get the help you need from one person, go to someone else