Tell me about these programs: Allegheny Gen Hos, Boston Medical Center, SUNY downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me more about their experiences with these 3 programs for anesthesiology? Pros/Cons, etc., I've a hard time ranking these 3 with the rest. Thanks
Allegheny General Hospital (Pittsburgh)
SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)
Boston Medical Center (Boston)

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak to the other 2 programs, but Boston Medical Center has done a great job particularly over the past 5 years, of valuing resident morale and education (big reduction in length and number of calls, built a huge simulation center, revised the curriculum with protected didactics 4 days/week) while continuing to provide great clinical exposure in the level 1 trauma center (busiest in New England).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Downstate is pretty inner city. Great training from what I hear though. It was on my rank list (albeit not in my top 5) current PD has a solid history. There are satellite hospitals that you'll have to travel to for some rotations, which can be a huge pain in the azz in NYC. I hear the hours are not the greatest either.

That's the only one of the three I know anything about.

Agree BMC is a strong program. Great fellowship matches 2/2 great connections at BMC and Boston University to go to MGH and BWH for fellowship if interested and/or also can land great jobs afterwards.

Teaching medical students at a great medical school
Trauma heavy leads to lots of autonomy
Pediatrics at Boston Children's - i.e. best childrens hospital in the world
Regional at Baptist - Top 5 US news orthopedics hospital 200-400 blocks per month per resident
Cardiac - ok
Pain - Lots of addiction and chronic pain 2/2 opioid abuse and use in new England area
Education - solid 2/2 key author from Barash
New ICU and Ors in the next 18 months, nice setting.