Telling an interviewer the truth about how you got a bad grade due to arrogance?

• Thread starter LoveBeingHuman:)
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

Does that = Rejection or Extreme Respect?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how many classes you've taken since this bad grade and how you did in them so that you can show you learned from it.

Just a dip: Really high grades before and really high after

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the truth? Is there only one absolute truth or many versions? Many people may describe the same event they witnessed first-hand differently.

My advice is you should just put the best foot forward in a positive light without lying. It's the basis of any sales pitch or pharmaceutical TV commercials that has to list all the side-effects. An interview is simply an impression. Just a simple explanation (if directly asked) with a compelling story will suffice. Don't be defensive about it or let them think you have low self-esteem. Short and sweet. Then, steer the direction of the interview in your best (or unique) strengths.

It probably doesn't result in either "outright rejection" or "extreme respect" but just a note somewhere in between the two extremes, assuming if you have a great overall GPA and sGPA(3.7+) and only one minor flaw in the transcript(not multiple drops or C/D/F). They probably won't even care too much due to the overwhelming amount of applicants. If your GPA, MCAT, EC, interview is great and you got some luck, you're in. I had a class dropped and still got in. In fact, adcoms didn't even care to ask in all my interviews.

If your grades suck and/or it isn't a one-time thing it will hurt your application and you should try to make up for it as much as possible to maximize your chances. If you're so far down to the point of no return, you should seriously consider another career.

Last edited:
Is it arrogance or complacency?

Reactions: 1 user
Does that = Rejection or Extreme Respect?

This one's gonna depend on the particulars of the story. Being arrogant isn't a strength; but recognizing that you were arrogant and then learning humility from the experience can be.

You didn't get a bad grade due to arrogance, you got it because you like to challenge yourself. Frame it positevely!

Just a dip:

Just%20Dip%20It.jpg

Agreed

Arrogance like assuming the class was easier than it was and you didn't need to work for it?

I just got overconfident for a moment and then I learned my lesson about it. I'm just asking if I should admit that I was overconfident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got good grades before and good grades after. I got a bit overconfident on the final and ended up with a poor grade in the class. I was overconfident due to the fact that I was not taking the class seriously.

The reason that I am asking this question is that several people here advise others to keep some things to themselves that, while truth, are a little bit too honest and can harm the applicant more than help them. So the best thing to do would be to avoid the topic as much as you can.

But for something like this, would it be a good idea to just say what happened and the lesson I learned form it or to just try to avoid talking about it and just refuse to answer an interview question regarding it?

I got good grades before and good grades after. I got a bit overconfident on the final and ended up with a poor grade in the class. I was overconfident due to the fact that I was not taking the class seriously.

The reason that I am asking this question is that several people here advise others to keep some things to themselves that, while truth, are a little bit too honest and can harm the applicant more than help them. So the best thing to do would be to avoid the topic as much as you can.

But for something like this, would it be a good idea to just say what happened and the lesson I learned form it or to just try to avoid talking about it and just refuse to answer an interview question regarding it?

Address it honestly when asked and say you were careless in the final. You learned from your mistakes then on and proceeded to do well consistently in future classes

I wouldn't use the word arrogance in the interview for this situation. But yeah if asked about that grade you could absolutely say that you underestimated the difficulty of the final due to your previous success in the class and how you learned from that experience and going forward you gave everything your full effort and it paid off.

Instead of arrogance, say caught off guard and explain how you have avoided that from happening. It sounds arrogant to say you got the grade because of arrogance.

Instead of arrogance, say caught off guard and explain how you have avoided that from happening. It sounds arrogant to say you got the grade because of arrogance.

Being arrogant is a flaw that can be corrected upon self reflection.

You can never stop being caught off guard in the real world. Is that always a reason to do poorly?

And also, in an environment where you're provided with learning materials and can also seek them outside of class, being caught off gaurd might not apply. It just means to you didn't prepare enough. And that begs the question, "why?" And then you're back in the same situation you found yourself in, explaining.

Just cut to the chase. Admitting arrogance and showing how you've risen above it.

So going into the final, you were over-confident based on your previous performance, and that therefore, you under-prepared? If that's the case, I'd admit the story but omit the 'arrogant' label. Admit to over-confidence and that you learned you always need to do your best, even when it looks like less than that would be more than adequate.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't talk about it at all, because you sound like you will talk about it arrogantly in explaining your arrogance. You're trying to give an excuse that is papered up in arrogance. And btw I still have no clue what you are really talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't talk about it at all, because you sound like you will talk about it arrogantly in explaining your arrogance. You're trying to give an excuse that is papered up in arrogance. And btw I still have no clue what you are really talking about.

I've explained it multiple times. I was overconfident so I didn't do that well.

And you don't know me so don't make assumptions about the way I talk.

An excuse is "I studied but the professor was bad". Being overconfident is NOT an excuse, it's a reality. I was able to figure that out and learn from it.

Last edited:
what grade are we talking about? a B, C or F? If it's a B or C it won't come up in an interview

Sorry. You lost me at "extreme respect." I might hope for the person accepting my answer but thinking admitting being cocky about an exam and getting burned could yield respect of the extreme variety seems a little far-fetched.

I do not understand the question and I won't respond to it.

Hubris; and OP will NOT earn any respect for being honest about it.

I've explained it multiple times. I was overconfident so I didn't do that well.

And you don't know me so don't make assumptions about the way I talk.

An excuse is "I studied but the professor was bad". Being overconfident is NOT an excuse, it's a reality. I was able to figure that out and learn from it.

It's amazing how people still do not understand what I am asking/talking about

Lol, it's okay. Maybe some people couldn't be bothered to read through everyone's answers. Maybe you should have explicitly said, "I didn't bother to study for the final and bombed it, ending up with a C+." Maybe the people who think that it's arrogant to say that you were arrogant were trying to help you not sound arrogant, which is your goal, yes? Or, I guess by saying that you were arrogant, you were trying to sound arrogant, in which case, it shouldn't be a problem that people think you're arrogant, lol. :p

Who cares what people think about you? Who cares that some people are still confused, and might not ever understand? Your question was answered, and you got some really good answers. Say, "Thanks everyone for the great answers!" and move on with your life.

It's amazing how people still do not understand what I am asking/talking about
Overconfidence as to your abilities is a very strong sub of hubris, which ain't earning you any points, as it is one of those things that tends to be more of a recurring theme than a one time thing for most people. I wouldn't trust you, as I'd assume you still felt that way deep down care of only being proven wrong the once. You only get a few minutes with these interviewers, you don't want one of those moments devoted to something that would leave a person with more life experience questioning your character.

OP, never say you were overconfident. Say you liked challenging yourself and could not do well in this course!!!!

Maybe something like "I did not structure my time for this class well" or something along those lines.

I think this would show that you aren't questioning your ability to do well, you are simply aware that you failed to manage your time as well as you could have. I feel this would make the interviewer feel like you took responsibility for your failure while not calling yourself an idiot.

But the reality is that I was overconfident just for a moment. And it's human nature. We are all overconfident at least once. Why should I lie about being human and learning from my mistakes?

Overconfidence as to your abilities is a very strong sub of hubris, which ain't earning you any points, as it is one of those things that tends to be more of a recurring theme than a one time thing for most people. I wouldn't trust you, as I'd assume you still felt that way deep down care of only being proven wrong the once. You only get a few minutes with these interviewers, you don't want one of those moments devoted to something that would leave a person with more life experience questioning your character.
This. In med school I watched a person who was a science heavy premed major, who was so overconfident that he felt he already had a good handle on biochem and anatomy from day 1, and pretty much tanked his whole slate of initial test in those classes by not running scared like the rest of us. I think adcoms are leery of this "I already know it all" syndrome and would shy away from an application that comes off that way. Fessing up to that has nothing to do with respect, it unearths a bad character flaw. I would avoid it, it's not a benign excuse. You are better off saying nothing and let them just assume you struggled in that class.

But the reality is that I was overconfident just for a moment. And it's human nature. We are all overconfident at least once. Why should I lie about being human and learning from my mistakes?
Yea, I noticed from the interview trail that doctors hate admitting to mistakes and that we have to spin being human to a positive point. Try to come off as positive as possible since being overconfident is a negative. Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

Seems like your error in thinking here is in wanting this to be a big deal so that you turn a potential negative into something you get a ton of credit for. That actually is more dishonest than what anyone is advising you to do. You want to make it seem like it would be incredibly unique and courageous what you would be doing, almost like overcoming some major adversity. Other posters, especially given what you've posted on this thread, are trying to gently let you know that your chances of pulling off what you want to pull off with an end result of being perceived as somehow heroic are very, very slim. And you are giving the impression that even aside from this particular topic you are likely to come off in a not so good way on other topics that come up. You should do some mock interviews and get some really honest and reliable advice about your responses and how you come across.

Because we don't want overconfident doctors, hubris is a hard trait to cure, and being unable to engage in self-reflection (as you are doing here) is an even more dangerous trait.

TLDR: being honest about foolishness doesn't earn you the brownie points.

And you don't know me so don't make assumptions about the way I talk..

I stopped reading the thread, so I'm not too sure the outcome of this convo.

However, I'm so tired of people saying "you don't know me, so you can't judge me."
No we don't know you. Most people don't care to know you either. All they get is the image you put out to the world.
If you come across as an asshat, you will be perceived and treated as one. Nobody is going to waste their time to figure out the "true" you.

Interviews despise arrogance despite a lot of them being textbook cases of it. I'd just change your story like something like - I overpredicted my abilities to study and this led me to refine my experiences in X, y, and z ways. This will be helpful in medical school because I know to never be overconfident about my abilities or be complacent and will do ______.

In interviews you want to be yourself and answer honestly, but at the same time it's very easy for an interview to interpret even the smallest comment in an extremely negative way and **** you over.