Telling schools you'll be in the area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTKRower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you tell schools that you'll be in the area interviewing at another school? Einstein says to tell them if you'll be in the NY area so they can interview you around the same time if they interview you. Should I email them and say "I will be interviewing in NY on X date" or should I just email and say "i'll be in the area on X date"? I know it seems trivial, but applying breeds neurotic tendencies.

Members don't see this ad.

UTKRower said:
How do you tell schools that you'll be in the area interviewing at another school? Einstein says to tell them if you'll be in the NY area so they can interview you around the same time if they interview you. Should I email them and say "I will be interviewing in NY on X date" or should I just email and say "i'll be in the area on X date"? I know it seems trivial, but applying breeds neurotic tendencies.

Go for the latter... might as well say something vaguer if you can, so as to avoid questions about where else in NY you're interviewing. :thumbup:

you are gonna be talking to people that work in the adcom office, not people that are officially on the adcom. i doubt it matters if you tell them or not...but if it will help you sleep better not to tell them the info, then go with #2.

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't need to tell them that you are interviewing at another school in the area. Just let them know that you will be in the area on such and such date, that is all they need to know. :thumbup:

Ahaha. When I was interviewing, I told Einstein I was going to be on the East Coast. They told me "too bad" (and I did have an interview invitation from them at that time).

They were the first school I withdrew from when I started to get acceptance letters. Buncha arsehats.

i agree just tell them that you are in the area. this is how i scheduled three of my interviews on the east coast within 3 days of each other. It definitely saves a lot of money and usually schools are totally willing to accomodate if there are spaces available!