Temple Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

has

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Temple 2009 Unite!

So whose definitely going there?

Members don't see this ad.

has said:
Temple 2009 Unite!

So whose definitely going there?
I still can't say it is definite, but I feel pretty strongly that I will end up there. Have you seen a financial aid package yet?

Hi all. I have a quick question for future Temple Medical Students. I was accepted to the combined BS/MD program through Temple and I am excited to go. However, there have been several people that have told me it is not a good idea. If you could go back four years ago and could have been accepted to Temple right out of high school would you have done it? Just wondering what your experience with the whole process was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured this should get bumped. Anybody out there looking for housing to share?

rockit said:
Figured this should get bumped. Anybody out there looking for housing to share?

I am definitely going to Temple:) !

I am still looking for a roommate. I am flying out there next week to find an apartment.

As for a financial aid, I cal Financial Services and they told me that alternate loans will be processed the first week of July. So far all I have is the staffords

Anyone know if we really need the PDA first year?

hi guys... welcome :)

no, you don't need a PDA first year unless they RADICALLY changed something in the last 2 years. I would highly recommend having a laptop although the consensus on the tablet PC seems to be "unnecessary" unless you have a lot of money to blow (and if so, get an ipod ;))

did anyone else get that email about the website? when i logged in, i didn't find any info about housing or scheduling or anything...does anyone have any info on that?

muchafleur said:
did anyone else get that email about the website? when i logged in, i didn't find any info about housing or scheduling or anything...does anyone have any info on that?

There was a whole packet of information about housing, health insurance, forms you need your physician to fill out, roommate stuff. When I logged in it was all there. Maybe something was wrong with the site. You might want to retry that again.

What's the website they sent you? they told me to go to:
http://www.medschool.temple.edu/admissions/student_registration_page.cfm
which just takes me to my "confirm interview" page...ihave a feeling they sent me the wrong link or something...

DeterminedMD said:
There was a whole packet of information about housing, health insurance, forms you need your physician to fill out, roommate stuff. When I logged in it was all there. Maybe something was wrong with the site. You might want to retry that again.

Anyone know which grading system is used? Temple was my first interview, so I didn't know to ask.

Thanks.

If I remember right it is honors, high pass, pass, fail

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that the PDA needed Bluetooth. Does anybody know if the laptop needs Bluetooth too?

I have no idea where the hell they are going with this whole PDA thing... the entire classroom building has wifi for laptops, not sure what bluetooth would add. i'd seriously hold off on getting a PDA until you are required to show up with one, guys.

I'm gonna guess that we'll need the PDAs for third year.

Also, has anybody gotten back any information from those roommate request forms. I got about a month before I need to be locked in, and it would be nice to have some roommates.

rockit said:
I'm gonna guess that we'll need the PDAs for third year.

Also, has anybody gotten back any information from those roommate request forms. I got about a month before I need to be locked in, and it would be nice to have some roommates.

You can e-mail the person in charge to get a preliminary list of roommates.

So anyone know what is going on with financial aid. So far they have only processed my Stafford loans. They said they would get to all the other packaging "soon". This was about 2-3 weeks ago.

DeterminedMD said:
So anyone know what is going on with financial aid. So far they have only processed my Stafford loans. They said they would get to all the other packaging "soon". This was about 2-3 weeks ago.
I'm in the same situation. I emailed the FA office, and they told me to call in mid-July to have an application sent to me for private loans.

Has anyone found any really good housing leads or contacts for rental properties? I am planning a trip to Philly over the weekend and into next week to find a place to live, but I know so little about the city that I'm afraid I could easily make a mistake.

MD5555 said:
I'm in the same situation. I emailed the FA office, and they told me to call in mid-July to have an application sent to me for private loans.

Maybe I am just being too antsy but it seems like that is cutting it close. I kinda want all of my financial aid squared away as soon as possible.

DeterminedMD said:
Maybe I am just being too antsy but it seems like that is cutting it close. I kinda want all of my financial aid squared away as soon as possible.
Me too, but I emailed Dr. Hough again and asked him if I should stop by since I was going to be in Philly in the next few days. He replyed and said that I should wait and call him in the middle of July. I guess he's the expert.

I'm looking for a place to live as well. I will be moving cross country so I wont have a car with me. Therefor, I would like to live with other first years at Temple but near public transportation and a not too crappy neighborhood.

yeah any advice on where to live? they haven't released the roommate list have they?

They haven't released the roommate list yet (supposed to come out in July) but you can email Courtney, whos email they give you with all the info, and she'll forward you the preliminary list. Good luck!

anyone know about the health insurance? Do you get your own physician in the Blue cross plan? Anyone know if the Keystone plan is worth the extra money for those who have medications that need to be bought every month?

Hey guys. I'm a second year at Temple and I live in Roxborough which is considered part of the suburbs and is on the outskirts of the city. A lot of us first years last year lived at Henry on the Park or Summit park here in Roxborough. So getting to class wasn't too bad since a lot of us carpooled. Its a nice neighborhood with Fairmount Park really close by and lots of supermarkets and stores really close by. School is about 15 min. away and the road to school is a nice drive, so you don't really notice the time very much.
Manayunk, which is close to roxborough, is also a hot,trendy spot to live since there are lots of bars, restaurants, and shops to go to. Plymouth Meeting would be a little too far to live and Germantown, while it is closer to school, is a little more ghetto and dangerous to live than the Roxborough/Manayunk area to live.
Rent at Henry on the Park or Summit Park goes for $955 for a 1 bedroom or $1200 for a two bedroom. A downside at Henry is that you have to pay a little to use the gym or pool. If you decide to live at Henry, let me know because my friends there will split the referral bonus with you. Its a little cheaper in Germantown, but don't live at the School House Lane apartments because all I hear are horror stories from others that live there.
Look on craigslist.com for other apartment listings.
PM me if you guys want more info about other parts of the city or are interested in renting an apartment from me in the Roxborough area for cheaper than Henry or Summit.

I live in East Falls, it's a bit closer than Rox with better parking than Manayunk. I would recommend looking into all 3 areas on craigslist. If you have the money for a complex, great, but much cheaper (and often nicer) places can be found with private landlords. Center city is always an option but too expensive for me and not really recommended if you want to have a car. Henry/Summit Park is a good, safe bet but don't be afraid to look around. The best thing to do is just come down and see the neighborhoods for yourself.

Financial aid doesn't go through right away because tuition isn't finalized by the board of directors until July 1.

If you have a lot of expensive meds Keystone might be worth it. I have Keystone through my parents but my primary care doc is actually the student health doc- she is amazing, without a doubt the best doctor I've ever had. Visits with her are free for any student, and they also have some low cost basic meds, as well as free birth control (ortho lo and the patch, I forget what else but you could call and ask).

I don't wanna ask a dumb question like this, but is there any difference between Tioga West or Battersby? I.e. - is one better than the other?

I am looking for a roommate to share a 2 bedroom/2bath in Roxborough. I am female, nonsmoker. Anyone interested just PM me

DeterminedMD said:
I am looking for a roommate to share a 2 bedroom/2bath in Roxborough. I am female, nonsmoker. Anyone interested just PM me

Hey, good luck with finding a roommate! Sorry it didn't work out ... I'm still looking for a place in CC because I'm definitely not bringing my car now. :scared:

On another note...has everyone received the email regarding the pool party? Is it just me or is this an interesting way to be meeting the faculty? Maybe I should invest in a one-piece :laugh:

What are you guys doing about getting your "stuff" to Philly, especially those of you coming from a long distance (ie. West coast, california). Are you guys going to buy all new stuff or ship your old stuff from home.

Whose excited for the pool party?

Will there be ETOH?

Malo Doc said:
What are you guys doing about getting your "stuff" to Philly, especially those of you coming from a long distance (ie. West coast, california). Are you guys going to buy all new stuff or ship your old stuff from home.

Whose excited for the pool party?

Will there be ETOH?

I am bringing just essentials for the most part. I didnt want to pay to have it all transported overthere. I am buying everything I need when I get to Philly. Ikea...here I come :p .

As for the pool party, that should be fun. But it is a somewhat strange way to meet professors.

About the pool party, does anyone know whether this is he sort of thing that you bring significant others to or not?

And secondly, am I the only one who hasn't gotten a fin aid pacakge yet? The only thing I've gotten are my stafford loans, nothing about private loans, etc. They definitely have all of my required info, and it's now 3 weeks before orientation!

Oh yeah, is anyone else going to be living in Center City? I'm going to be in Washington Square West/Society Hill.

bring your sig other.

unless something drastic changed between this year and last year, you find your own private loans, since the stafford covers tuition you are on your own if you want to get private loans up to the lending limit. I used keybank, their medachiever loan, you can apply online. once it goes through, you just call the FA office and have them release the money to your account- set up direct deposit asap.

nutmegs said:
bring your sig other.

unless something drastic changed between this year and last year, you find your own private loans, since the stafford covers tuition you are on your own if you want to get private loans up to the lending limit. I used keybank, their medachiever loan, you can apply online. once it goes through, you just call the FA office and have them release the money to your account- set up direct deposit asap.

Ahhh...Im in the same boat. And I called financial aid and they told me not to do anything to just wait. So I guess I will call again and make sure. Thanks for the info

ok... i JUST got in(2 hours ago). @#$(%*) thank god but what do I do now? so i read the thread, and found that most of you guys are gonna live in:

roxborough
east falls
manayunk

I didn't get anything in the mail yet since they just called today, so can someone help gimme some info on what they are doing?

Right now I am gonna check out craiglist... I've never used it but I heard it being reference here twice. Anyone have any other resources I can use? Thanks a bunch! I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks! and what is this pool party I hear about?!

IM me: fannibal

Fannibal said:
ok... i JUST got in(2 hours ago). @#$(%*) thank god but what do I do now? so i read the thread, and found that most of you guys are gonna live in:

roxborough
east falls
manayunk

I didn't get anything in the mail yet since they just called today, so can someone help gimme some info on what they are doing?

Right now I am gonna check out craiglist... I've never used it but I heard it being reference here twice. Anyone have any other resources I can use? Thanks a bunch! I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks! and what is this pool party I hear about?!

IM me: fannibal
Congrats Fannibal!

Finding a place in Philly was not very easy for me. I searched for places using Craigslist, 4wallsinphilly, apartments.com, rent.com, etc. This is a good place to start, but you are going to want to go to Philly and check out the places for yourself. All the apartments I found advertised in E. Falls, Manayunk, and Roxborough turned out to be older and more run-down than I had hoped. However, I was able to find several in those areas that were nice, just not advertised (look for "For Rent" signs and call accordingly). Another problem I encountered was the landlords for these places seem to be concerned when they find out you are a student and will have no official income (assuming you are not going to have a co-signer). I got the run-around from a couple.

I ended up in a more traditional "complex" because it was easier to get the lease. This option was a little more expensive.

There is quite a bit of important information on the Temple website if you already have access. Go to: https://medschool.temple.edu/admissions/student_registration_page.cfm and use the login information you used for your secondary.

I hope this helps. I'm not originally from Philly, but I have learned a good bit over the last month or so.

I'm moving into a place in the Fishtown area of Philly. If your looking for a place to live the owner of the house I'm living in owns a second house next door and told me theres a room available. I chose this area because I wont have a car and its pretty close to the Temple undergrad campus. Let me know if your interested.

I am applying to the temple university and I am writing my secondaries for that. So do you have any idea why a person might be interested in your university? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Any 2nd years have suggestions of books that we should get, or are helpful in conjunction with the notes that will be used? I heard that a lot of the recommended texts are not utilized, so I was hoping to get some feedback on what is actually useful. Also, do M2s sell their books after school starts?

Hey... for the guys out there, are any of you guys living in roxborough and looking for a roomate?

Who and when should I contact about doing research?

Hey Temple Peeps! Just checking in to say what's up! I will be a second year this fall, along with luau26 (I live at the apartment complex he mentioned - Henry on the Park).

Anyway, I should be helping with Orientation this year, so I should see some of you on Monday, I believe? ;) Please feel free to hit me up with any questions. It's getting close! I believe you should be able to PM, E-mail or even IM from my profile.

To answer a couple things I noticed while skimming the page, the faculty pool party is lighter on the faculty and heavier on the par-tay, especially as the evening goes on. There is copious EtOH for cheap and it is usually a good time. I did bring an SO, although I don't recall being explicitly invited to ;). Umm, other than that I didn't notice any questions I am particularly wise to answer. Hit me up with anything!

Party on,
Sean

rockit said:
Who and when should I contact about doing research?

Whoops missed answering this one. You can likely contact any professor who has a project you're interested in. As the year goes along you might hear about one thing or another during class lectures and contact them as to whether they need any help.

Another option is to wait until the summer between first and second year. This year, a list was put out for open projects during second semester and you could contact those professors.

If you're thinking more in-the-hospital type research, I would perhaps check in at the admin office and ask if they have any contacts in a particular department at the hospital. This year I asked about Radiology, but they didn't have anything available at the time.

- :D
Sean