Temple (Establishing residency in PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benson_dds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be a freshman at Temple dental school and I am considering to buy a property so I can get the tuition discount and become a PA resident but I have heard it's not easy and there are some other troubles associated with it! Has anyone here bought a property and established a residency in PA? What did u have to go through besides buying a property?
I really appreciate your help guys.

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

i have heard the requiremnts are:

own property
married with kids
having a job can help

can you do this in most state schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
mlle said:
can you do this in most state schools?

hmmmm, thats a general statement. It depnds on the school and the state. The requirments vary so much it would be misleading to say 'yes' or 'no'.

Best bet, ask for individual schools or give them a call and ask them the requirements.

ObviousGuy said:
i have heard the requiremnts are:

own property
married with kids
having a job can help

It's funny you posted this bc I called Temple today to ask the same question about residency. The admissions "person" said you just have to have an address and I think utility bill and they don't really ask you to prove anything about your residence during admissions...however, this person may have been a secretary for all I know and this may be different for financial stuff. If anyone finds out about state residencies, please post bc even the ADA application person I spoke with couldnt give me a straight answer.

AA/TS/PAT:25/26/19

nsp716 said:
It's funny you posted this bc I called Temple today to ask the same question about residency. The admissions "person" said you just have to have an address and I think utility bill and they don't really ask you to prove anything about your residence during admissions...however, this person may have been a secretary for all I know and this may be different for financial stuff. If anyone finds out about state residencies, please post bc even the ADA application person I spoke with couldnt give me a straight answer.

AA/TS/PAT:25/26/19

Temple has a lawyer that looks at residency issues and they decide whether one gets instate tuition or not. Even if you buy property there is no guarantee that you'll get instate tuition. There are threads dedicated to this exact question, I would refer to those before buying property and call Brian H and get a real and legit answer.

hd

nsp716 said:
an address and I think utility bill and they don't really ask you to prove anything about your residence during admissions...

During admissions, yes.

AFTER acceptance as stated in the first post...and assuming he applied out of state (says he is from chicago as of today) then he will need to show more than a utility bill and address to pay in state residency.

As for speaking with Brian, i have. Rest assured the lawyers aren't granting everyone with an electric bill residency. If this was the case then it would mean anyone could get residency and temple would recieve 10K less a year from people who would normally be out of staters.

The requiremnts get harder each year and MOST of the ones who applied from out of state and got in state residency:
1. own property
2. are married
3. have kids
4. wife works full time
5. dental student has part time job
6. some others

Note, not everyone who got residency DID ALL OF THE ABOVE. They either fulfilled one or two, etc. of them and the lawyers granted them residency.

I hope that this thread wasn't too obvious. You can call and bug Brian if you want...

Alright people....Im gonna give you the real low down on getting residency at Temple.....

Here are some common misconceptions about getting residency at Temple:

1. You have to be married to get residency.

This is by far the most common misconception around the school......if any students told you that during their interview, they are WRONG. Being married certainly does help, but I know students in my class who are married and never got it and students who are not married and did get it

Personally, I DID get residency and no I am not married, I have no kids....heck Im not even an American citizen (although I do have a greencard).

2. You have to own property to get residency.

Although I do own a condo, this is also not true. A student in my class does NOT own any property, but he is married and his wife does work as a hygenist in Philadelphia. And yes, he did get residency.

3. You have to have a job to get residency.

Ummm, I dont work and I find it hard how people can work while going to dental school at the same time. This is absolutely not true.

4. Getting residency is impossible.

Hellzzzz no! If anyone tells you that, they obviously dont know whats going on. I have proven that it is not impossible and attainable with the right approach.

People in my school who know very little about the residency process will say anything they've heard "through the grapevine" and treat it as lore, consequently passing this information to unsuspecting interviewers when visiting the school.

So the question everyone is dying to know then. HOW THE FUK DO YOU GET RESIDENCY?????

There is one simple answer to this question. Stability. The residency committee wants to know that you have a stable life in pennsylvania and that you are not going to easily move away right after you graduate. This could mean being married and having your kids goto school....this could mean owning property and telling them that you absolutely love skiing in the Poconos, or this could possibly mean having your wife work a steady job here.

How do you prove this? Beats me. Ive asked this question directly with the lady who makes the decision and she couldnt give me a straight answer.

Residency at Temple is not easy to get, but its also not impossible. Something that you'll hear a lot of is that it varies from case to case, and that is exactly right.

Personally I think the entire system is a load of BS and riddled with inconsistencies, and if anyone had the guts, they could easily sue Temple and win based on discrimination. If I had gotten rejected, the next stop for me would have been the lawyers office. Why do you say?

Stability is such a subjective term to use to form a basis for residency. Who is to say that someone is more stable than someone else based on something such as marriage????

For instance, students in my class got rejected because technically they did not live in PA for 1 year prior to the start of school (which is stated in their residency rules)....However, neither did any of us who did get residency....so why was the exception made for us? Because some of us are married??? because some of us have wives that work???? BULL$HIT!!! Being married or owning a property are not stated as necessities in Temple's residency rules. So its blatant discrimination and I really hope one day, someone takes Temple to court about this.

Honestly, the whole process is just ridiculous. However, with persistance, it is DEFINITELY worth it. It has been a financial relief for me NOT to pay an extra $40K for my education. I highly recommend everyone applying and if you get rejected, do not do what most of my class did and just give up. Keep on applying and keep on fighting. Its a lot of money if you really think about it.

I know it was a long post, but Hopefully this helped and cleared anything up.

P.S. With serious issues like this, I wouldnt rely on what people in the office say.....they'll give you the basics of it, but with something as complicated as this, I would rely on better sources....such as students like myself who have gone through the process or better yet, Temple main campus....cause they are the ones who actually deal and make the decisions on residency. The dental school has nothing to do with it.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Alright people....Im gonna give you the real low down on getting residency at Temple.....

Here are some common misconceptions about getting residency at Temple:

1. You have to be married to get residency.

This is by far the most common misconception around the school......if any students told you that during their interview, they are WRONG. Being married certainly does help, but I know students in my class who are married and never got it and students who are not married and did get it

Personally, I DID get residency and no I am not married, I have no kids....heck Im not even an American citizen (although I do have a greencard).

2. You have to own property to get residency.

Although I do own a condo, this is also not true. A student in my class does NOT own any property, but he is married and his wife does work as a hygenist in Philadelphia. And yes, he did get residency.

3. You have to have a job to get residency.

Ummm, I dont work and I find it hard how people can work while going to dental school at the same time. This is absolutely not true.

4. Getting residency is impossible.

Hellzzzz no! If anyone tells you that, they obviously dont know whats going on. I have proven that it is not impossible and attainable with the right approach.

People in my school who know very little about the residency process will say anything they've heard "through the grapevine" and treat it as lore, consequently passing this information to unsuspecting interviewers when visiting the school.

So the question everyone is dying to know then. HOW THE FUK DO YOU GET RESIDENCY?????

There is one simple answer to this question. Stability. The residency committee wants to know that you have a stable life in pennsylvania and that you are not going to easily move away right after you graduate. This could mean being married and having your kids goto school....this could mean owning property and telling them that you absolutely love skiing in the Poconos, or this could possibly mean having your wife work a steady job here.

How do you prove this? Beats me. Ive asked this question directly with the lady who makes the decision and she couldnt give me a straight answer.

Residency at Temple is not easy to get, but its also not impossible. Something that you'll hear a lot of is that it varies from case to case, and that is exactly right.

Personally I think the entire system is a load of BS and riddled with inconsistencies, and if anyone had the guts, they could easily sue Temple and win based on discrimination. If I had gotten rejected, the next stop for me would have been the lawyers office. Why do you say?

Stability is such a subjective term to use to form a basis for residency. Who is to say that someone is more stable than someone else based on something such as marriage????

For instance, students in my class got rejected because technically they did not live in PA for 1 year prior to the start of school (which is stated in their residency rules)....However, neither did any of us who did get residency....so why was the exception made for us? Because some of us are married??? because some of us have wives that work???? BULL$HIT!!! Being married or owning a property are not stated as necessities in Temple's residency rules. So its blatant discrimination and I really hope one day, someone takes Temple to court about this.

Honestly, the whole process is just ridiculous. However, with persistance, it is DEFINITELY worth it. It has been a financial relief for me NOT to pay an extra $40K for my education. I highly recommend everyone applying and if you get rejected, do not do what most of my class did and just give up. Keep on applying and keep on fighting. Its a lot of money if you really think about it.

I know it was a long post, but Hopefully this helped and cleared anything up.

P.S. With serious issues like this, I wouldnt rely on what people in the office say.....they'll give you the basics of it, but with something as complicated as this, I would rely on better sources....such as students like myself who have gone through the process or better yet, Temple main campus....cause they are the ones who actually deal and make the decisions on residency. The dental school has nothing to do with it.

It's about time someone straightened this out. So when do we apply?

1992Corolla said:

Any info regarding financial aid yet??? I got my lease signed yesterday so my apartment at henry on the park is go....

hd

1992Corolla said:

I'd apply asap....just make sure you have all the necessary documents prepared and the application form filled out. The sooner you apply, the sooner you get an answer cause it takes 2-3 months for them to make a decision.

Just another point about this....the deadling for residency applications for the 1st semester is not until sometime in early September (dont quote me on this, I'd find out the exact date if I were you, but its definitely around this time), so dont think you are getting late. You have plenty of time. Like I said in the previous post, the sooner you get it in, the sooner you get an answer. Thats the only difference.

FYI (direct from the university):

Pennsylvania residency is decided based upon criteria provided in the Guidelines for Pennsylvania Residency. If you would like a copy of the Guidelines or an Application for Pennsylvania Residency, please stop by the Office of Academic Records on the 2nd floor of Conwell Hall to pick up the form to take with you. If you would like copies mailed to you, please email your address information to Megan McDonald at [email protected]. The Guidelines are not available online at this time.

how cold do the winters get in philadelphia. Growing up in canada, my parents had block heaters in there vehicles. Living in the south right now, my truck has no block heater, just regular heater would I need a block heater for philadelphia.

hd

I live in Toronto (north of Philly obviously) and have never had to use a block heater even at 25 below (degrees celsius). They do help in cutting the amount of time you need to let the car idle in the cold until the engine temp goes up, but try to avoid using one. I've heard they can cause problems.

hockeydentist said:
how cold do the winters get in philadelphia. Growing up in canada, my parents had block heaters in there vehicles. Living in the south right now, my truck has no block heater, just regular heater would I need a block heater for philadelphia.

hd

hockeydentist said:
Any info regarding financial aid yet??? I got my lease signed yesterday so my apartment at henry on the park is go....

hd

I just got a letter from financial aid about stafford loans and such and how much I will get.

hd