Temple GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBcb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know if any of you went the GRE route this cycle and how you made out. If you don't want to post for some reason please send me a PM.
I'm not looking to start the whole MCAT vs. GRE debate. I've read them all and understand the Pros and Cons (mostly Cons).
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't go the GRE route but I took the DAT and it worked out fine. Temple is fine with all three tests right now... but who knows about future cycles. Just as other schools have switched to the MCAT only, it's probably only a matter of time before Temple does the same.

I was accepted to Temple this cycle with a GRE score, but Temple will not be accepting GRE scores in the next admissions cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to Temple this cycle with a GRE score, but Temple will not be accepting GRE scores in the next admissions cycle.

I've heard this for a few cycles now. One of my classmates (2nd year) was accepted with GRE, and they told him the same thing.

I just added this link to my favorites so next year I can bring this back up to show how some schools lie about what admissions tests are accepted.

"School X told me 2010--wait scratch that 2011 is the last year they will accept the DAT/GRE/NOT MCAT"

I just added this link to my favorites so next year I can bring this back up to show how some schools lie about what admissions tests are accepted.

"School X told me 2010--wait scratch that 2011 is the last year they will accept the DAT/GRE/NOT MCAT"
I agree with you airbud, but to really be legit podiatry needs it's own test that is on par with the MCAT/DAT/GRE which are widely accepted as standardized tests for admissions.

Why does podiatry feel the need to use the MCAT as the "official" test. We are essentially lining the pockets of the AAMC when we take it. Also, if everyone is taking the MCAT, doesn't that add to the perception that those who are going to pod schools are just those that couldn't hack it at medical school (generally the mcat scores are lower for pod students vs medical students)???

Again, having PAT would give a standard that schools could use to compare applicants and at the same time would stop all the silly comparisons of pod vs med entrance testing.

I agree with you airbud, but to really be legit podiatry needs it's own test that is on par with the MCAT/DAT/GRE which are widely accepted as standardized tests for admissions

What does the bold statement mean? If they need a test that is "on par" with the MCAT, why not use the MCAT? You honestly think with significantly less applicants podiatric medicine really needs anything less than the MCAT? Oye.

Why does podiatry feel the need to use the MCAT as the "official" test.
Because the reality is that we don't have anywhere near the number of applicants as Dental or other professional schools with their own specific exam.

Also, if everyone is taking the MCAT, doesn't that add to the perception that those who are going to pod schools are just those that couldn't hack it at medical school (generally the mcat scores are lower for pod students vs medical students)???
No more than accepting the DAT and GRE add to the perception that we take people who applied to other professional schools. Honestly, DO/MD are more similar to DPM than dentistry or vet school. Are you saying most students DON'T apply to both MD and DO schools in addition to DPM? That's just not the reality, which is why you don't get many people JUST applying to podiatry school. If you made the applicants take another exam just to apply DPM, you wouldn't get as many applicants. Furthermore, how would you make it different than the MCAT? Would you "dumb it down" so applicants would score higher and feel better about themselves? I could just see it, "Dude, I just got a 38 on the PAT!!!" Right, NOBODY would see through that :rolleyes:

The MCAT is the most relevant standardized test for the medical profession, so deal with it.

Again, having PAT would give a standard that schools could use to compare applicants and at the same time would stop all the silly comparisons of pod vs med entrance testing.
We already have a standard, it's called the MCAT. The fact that pod students don't do as well is pretty obvious. The right way to address the issue of comparison would be for schools to increase their GPA and MCAT requirements, not make an entirely different test nobody is going to take seriously anyway.

Last edited:
What does the bold statement mean? If they need a test that is "on par" with the MCAT, why not use the MCAT? You honestly think with significantly less applicants podiatric medicine really needs anything less than the MCAT? Oye.

Because the reality is that we don't have anywhere near the number of applicants as Dental or other professional schools with their own specific exam.

No more than accepting the DAT and GRE add to the perception that we take people who applied to other professional schools. Honestly, DO/MD are more similar to DPM than dentistry or vet school. Are you saying most students DON'T apply to both MD and DO schools in addition to DPM? That's just not the reality, which is why you don't get many people JUST applying to podiatry school. If you made the applicants take another exam just to apply DPM, you wouldn't get as many applicants. Furthermore, how would you make it different than the MCAT? Would you "dumb it down" so applicants would score higher and feel better about themselves? I could just see it, "Dude, I just got a 38 on the PAT!!!" Right, NOBODY would see through that :rolleyes:

The MCAT is the most relevant standardized test for the medical profession, so deal with it.

We already have a standard, it's called the MCAT. The fact that pod students don't do as well is pretty obvious. The right way to address the issue of comparison would be for schools to increase their GPA and MCAT requirements, not make an entirely different test nobody is going to take seriously anyway.

Agreed. MCAT should be only test.

Why should there be a specialized test when many schools have us take the same classes as MD or DO students?

UNVME2 you make some good points but I've got to point out a contradiction. You say that schools should accept the MCAT because most people applying to pod schools are also applying to MD/DO schools anyway and pod schools need more applicants, and I agree. But then you say that schools should increase MCAT/GPA standards which would allow even less people in (if people did well on MCAT and had good grades, you and I both know they would probably do med school). I agree that the MCAT provides a decent test. You mock the PAT portion of the DAT but I've never found a use for the physics section of the MCAT in my two years of pod school. ;) And I've met a lot of qualified students who took these other tests.

Here's my point though. I have no problem with schools accepting these other tests. Podiatry has low applicant numbers. If taking DAT/GRE gets more solid applicants into the profession, why not accept those additional tests? And if we're going to make everyone take the same test, podiatry should just make their own AT to fund some of their political organizations. You're right, it would be looked down on for a while, but podiatry is headed in the right direction and will eventually get to the point (I don't think it would take long) where their admissions test would be just as valid as a MCAT or OAT or DAT. And the money would be coming directly to one of OUR organizations.

Emericana: Sure, you're taking the same classes as DO or MD students. Why does scoring on average 9-10 points lower on the MCAT make you qualified to be there? Does taking another test make you LESS qualified to be there?

You say that schools should accept the MCAT...and pod schools need more applicants..But then you say that schools should increase MCAT/GPA standards which would allow even less people in

I did not say what is in bold nor did I mean to imply that. I think exactly the opposite, which is that until we can get enough residency spots to train the current number of podiatry students the number of students accepted should be limited. Although we have more applicants and graduates than we can train, we as podiatry students are still (comparatively speaking) a very small population.

In the meantime I do believe schools should increase the MCAT requirements as it would deter students from choosing podiatry as a "backup" while also allowing us to accept the applicants who perform the best. This also takes care of other students opinions of using our profession as a safety option.

You mock the PAT portion of the DAT...

Not intentionally and my apology. I'm not familiar with the DAT so I thought PAT stood for your version of the "new podiatry test" or Podiatry Aptitude Test.

I've never found a use for the physics section of the MCAT in my two years of pod school.

That's probably because you've never been asked what screw you would use to fix your osteotomy or defended what diagnostic test you used to diagnose a condition. I worked in the biomechanics lab and scrubbed on several complicated ankle/bunion correction procedures and must say that if you have no basic concepts of lever arms and torque as they apply to bones and tendons of the foot and ankle than you are doing yourself and the patient a disservice. In surgery you need to know what screws and plates are the best given your correction, what orientation to insert them, the list of physics knowledge goes on and on.

Do you know by what physics principal lag screws work? Well, you better because you're going to be using them a lot and know how to apply that principle in different surgical situations. The list goes on and on..from MRI to XR and CT, if you're not sure of how they work or what test's to use in what situation given a patients history (soft tissue vs. bone, etc) how are you going to know what to choose in those cases with no knowledge of physics? You're not going to have an attending over your shoulder every day to tell you what to do in every situation and if you can't apply basic science knowledge in a clinical setting you're essentially doing a job the same way a monkey would, by imitation.

The idea that podiatrists just want to chip, clip and charge is becoming extinct and that's great for the profession. But the way we got the ball rolling is proving we had the knowledge to use the more advanced diagnostic tests to our advantage to make the right diagnosis or if need be, referrals. If I could tell you the number of vascular surgeons get referrals from podiatrists with "claudication" as the indication, when the patient doesn't even walk or clearly has nerve pathology I'd be here all day. Do you know why patients claudicate? Not if you have no physics knowedge. If you didn't know vascular physics and Bernoulli's principles, you'd be asking for ABI's on chronic diabetics all day with no idea why they are going to be falsely elevated anyway. Why is this important? Because you could easily same money, time, or even a patient's limb if you knew what other tests to order based on your own knowledge.

Ever not feel a pedal pulse and then be asked to use a doppler? Ever then put it 90 degrees to the dorsalis pedis artery or direct it distally and wonder why you hear a faint "swish" or don't hear anything at all? Well, it's because you're listening to the venous flow and if you knew anything about physics you would not only know how to use a doppler correctly, you would save your self the embarassment of telling your attending (or worse the patient) they have PVD only to then be sent to a vascular lab to have them explain to your patient that you didn't know how to use that simple probe.

Now, if you want to be that dude ordering the wrong tests on your patients because you don't know (for a physics example) how hard vessels affect diagnostic tests, or furthermore, what test would be better for that patient because you lack the basic science knowledge, go for it. As I said, you're not going to have an attending over your shoulder every day telling you what to do.

I have no problem with schools accepting these other tests.

I'm do. If you want to be a vet or a dentist or pharmacist that's fine, but based on curriculum comparisons pre and post graduate I don't think they come close to DPM/DO/MD.

Podiatry has low applicant numbers

Perhaps compared to other professions, but not compared to the number of residency spots available (which was more my point)

If taking DAT/GRE gets more solid applicants into the profession, why not accept those additional tests?

You're jumping around to conclusions and I'm not sure where you're getting them from. I'm curious to know why you think taking the DAT/GRE makes you a "more solid applicant"? IMO performing well on the MCAT gets more solid applicants into the profession.

And if we're going to make everyone take the same test, podiatry should just make their own AT to fund some of their political organizations.

No, my point is if you make the applicants take a podiatry specific AT, knowing a majority are already taking the MCAT, you're not going to make any money. You may have less applicants, but you don't have better applicants because now you're taking a whole other exam to which we have no comparison. Furthermore, who gets the money? That's a whole other battle not worth starting.

You're right, it would be looked down on for a while, but podiatry is headed in the right direction

I think you over-estimate the practicality and profitability of this idea. I agree podiatry is heading in the right direction, but that's because we're becoming more standardized with the medical school curriculum (MCAT, 3 year residency, etc) and you're suggesting quite the opposite.

Last edited:
i think it is safe to say that this thread has been hijacked, but im not pointing fingers.