Temple problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked to the admissions office at temple and they gave me the impression that people go to temple if they don't get in anywhere else. She told me that they accept over 200 student only because most of them end of going to a different school if they are accepted. Is there something that I don't know about temple?

Members don't see this ad.

from what i hear their facilities are just really old

Temple has excellent connections in the podiatric world and really good residency relationships. It hasn't has the highest "brand" recognition in the "real" (not podiatric) world in terms of schools. (Ask your friends if they've heard of Sam Merritt, NYCPM, etc etc) So, if you can manage to be in the top of your class, Temple is a really good choice to get a highly sought residency.

That being said, facilities are old, admissions dept is sorta weird (website's old, literature is dated/typo'd, interview day was pretty unprofessional, etc). Philadelphia is very urban (read: ghetto). Temple University has SUPER nice facilities, but the main campus is somewhat far away from TUSPM, so you don't get those benefits. Also, Philly is really expensive to live in.

Members don't see this ad :)
well regarding over 200 people being accepted, i believe it's the same for most professional schools. they tend to accept more students than the seats available since most students are accepted to more than one school.

and yes tuspm's facilities are outdated, and isn't very likely to be renovated. but it's enough for anyone to do well. from students i talked to, at interviews and at open house, they have nothing to complain about the outdated facilities. they told me that once school starts, it doesn't really matter, you just focus on getting good grades.

At my interview I was told that now that the whole health sciences center is all wrapped up, the Pod school is next on the agenda starting with the anatomy lab [not that any of us would reap the benefits]. Facilities where about as nice as new york, but not close to KSU and DMU. It just isn't that big of a deal to me. I feel like as long as the technological support is there (which it is) the paint/ceiling tiles really don't make a difference. My adviser says that a lot of med/dent/ pod schools accept twice as many applicants as they have seats, especially the ones with larger class sizes.

Take me for instance, I REALLY liked DMU and almost deposited there, but I felt like Temple was a better fit for ME for personal/ family/ relationship/ financial/ career goals/ geographical reasons. But I would still highly recommend DMU to all pre-Pods. I feel like that is what it comes down to for all people. Not that one is necessarily better than another